XR500R title questions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Ply318ci, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Ply318ci

Ply318ci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure where to post this so fill free to move it but since it is a question dealing specifically with California I figure I had better ask here.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1984 XR500R for only 200 dollars. It does need some work but nothing to serious, (i hope). The problem is it hasn't been green stickered since 2000 and the owner only has a bill of sale. Is this going to be a problem to get it titled so that I can ride it in OHV land. I live in Monterey and the nearest place is Hollister Hills that requires a green or red sticker. I don't want to pass up on a deal this good without least seeing what my options are. Thanks.

Ethan
  2. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    I believe cali does not do" certificates of non op any longer" so all back fees and penalties will be do if it wasn't registered non op by the previous owner,title will just need vin verification
  3. Ply318ci

Ply318ci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow don't think I want to deal with that I will ask the owner if it got non-oped thanks for the advice, could quickly turn a cheap bike into an expensive one.
  4. stiggs13

stiggs13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dont know about green stickered bikes, but you can go to the dmv's website plug in the VIN and get the exact fees owed
  5. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the biggest problem is the lack of title. I've bought a vehicle in Ca. with that same issue, and it was resolvable, but kind of a pita, and that was many years ago so things have probably changed (and not for the better). Hopefully someone else can chime in that has had to get a new title generated. The bill of sale may help, but you can not get ownership of the bike until there is a title either signed over to you or issued to you.
  6. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    If registering green sticker it won't cost too much. Just take the vin to the DMV and tell them you bought the bike but the old owner lost the title. Simple. BesidEs., what other choice do you have. Buy it or not.
  7. beezerjoe

beezerjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not that bad to do. You can do it with a bill of sale and a statement of facts. They will more than likely have to do a v.i.n. verification on it. You can still do a non op but it has to be paid when the registration is up. They call it a planned non operation. I don't if those are doable on a green sticker bike. I haven't battled the DMV in a few years so somethings may have changed. Since you're in Monterey go to the Seaside DMV for me they have about the most helpful out the ones between there and Hollister.'I've pulled the wool over the DMV's eyes a few times. The best advice I can give you is date your paper work like you just got it acouple of days before you go in, don't tell them how long the registration has been expired. If it's been purged from the computer they will treat it like a new sale and you won't have to pay back fees. Make sure your statement of facts say that to your knowledge there no liens or monies owed against it and that the title has been lost. Always remember the less they know the better off you are. The only thing I'm not sure of is if a greensticker registration ever goes out the computer. Like I said earlier I know some things have changed but I'm not sure what. I've got one or two more paperless projects to do so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
  8. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    If you dont want to jump through the hoops i will buy it.. :deal
  9. Ply318ci

Ply318ci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BeezerJoe-Thanks for the info I am going to wait for my tax return to go through and if it got any left over after bills and necessary stuff I am going to probably get it, I will try out what you suggested at the Seaside DMV and see what is what.

wrk2surf-if you check out the Monterey Craigslist it was just reposted for a few days ago, just look under motorcycles. If you get it first more power to you I just hate to see a pretty cool bike rot away.