xr600 question...

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by tyegrid, Mar 13, 2015.

1. tyegrid

tyegrid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a slack cam chain and loose tensioner back in August and it was slapping the inside of the engine. So I had my Honda guy take the motor out and replace it. We also re honed the cylinder, cleaned and re seated the valves, new rings, the whole 9 yards... since then I've put probably 600 miles on the bike, nothing too stressful, some Death Valley and street stuff. Then last weekend the bike dies and I have no compression. Come to find out, I have a bent intake valve that is the culprit. So my question is....do you guys think I have any kind of warranty basis for this happening? Or is it just shit luck and there's no way of knowing that would've happened? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The original failure was just the Cam Chain Tensioner and/or worn out chain. With all the other non-relevant BS that was done to the engine, you never said if they put in a new tensioner and replaced the old stretched chain?

Now I assume the chain has jumped due to cam chain tensioner failure. Another possibility is a failure of the sliders on either side of the chain. Tensioner is very week link in these engines, I think I replaced 3 in 2 bikes over their lives.

The question is will the source of tensioner cover the cost of the repair it caused? Was it all Honda parts and Honda Dealer? If so perhaps, if not, you are SOL.

PS: This is Thumper topic not, riding in the West.
  3. tyegrid

tyegrid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Responses like this are exactly why I can't stand posting to these forums. Get over yourself bub.
  4. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    Well , pretty much the only way to bend a valve is for the cam to be in the wrong position at the wrong time .

Engine needs to come back apart and inspected and the failed part located.

Warranty ? Did the guy who repaired the engine supply the parts ? Receipt ? Should have info on it .
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Countdown was correct in every respect with your XR600 and with the fact that you did post this in the wrong place.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C6cxNR9ML8k" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
  6. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude, take it easy! Jerry was trying to help. He suggested you go over the thumper forum for a better response. Geeze.....:huh