Xr600 & xr650l aussie owners

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kenno, May 30, 2013.

1. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    Same here, part of the appeal is that it's still 'agricultural like' for me. There's a couple of later year XR650L's on gumtree, a 2013 model has my attention but it's in Vic :2cry
  2. Ron50

Ron50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's an American import so rego would be a problem without an Aussie compliance plate.
  3. bonebuster

bonebuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Electric start would make you soft though.
    GodSilla likes this.
  4. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ

Oddometer:
    Hmm, a touch of jealousy?

If one was concerned about going soft with the electric leg, one could always retrofit the kick start from the xr600.:hide
  5. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The big fin came from the flat track racing Honda did with the 600.

Both are ideal and let’s face it a big fin head looks rad.

I’m about to install big fin, bigger valves and ported head. Cost me over $2k but should see over 50hp at rear wheel.

(Fcrmx, staintune, ignite tech and opened airbox go with hour saying)
    Squily likes this.
  6. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nah you just take it into rougher country with e start
  7. bonebuster

bonebuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I must admit , I've been stalled on a 45 degree rocky mountain trying to stop sliding backwards and kicking untill i was thinking " i wonder if they would be able to air lift me from here when i have this heart attack".
    Dukehunt likes this.
  8. xrxtz

xrxtz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s an XR600 thing, on the last kick just before the heart attack they fire up. Then just sit there idling as as to say “who needs an electric start after all. There is a ratio re heat/location/humidity/degree of difficulty in balancing on a hill/log in a gully multiplied by the number of kicks required to start the pig. There is now a whole genration of motorcycle riders who lack the ability to convert a down wards leg motion into a function engine. Save our sport buy your kid an. XR something. That said I do like my xr650L as well as the others I have makes flame outs in the Simpson desert etc much more fun .
  9. lookfar

Oddometer:
    And it begins.

From this...
    Done1.jpg

To this....
    IMG_1275.jpg

Heart transplant time.....

IMG_1251.jpg
    Squily likes this.
  10. xrxtz

xrxtz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watching with great interest. one of the last things is the bash plate mod. 650l is a bit fatter on the l/h side but it will fit with a strip of alloy welded in. Given the rest of the jobs that is nothing.
  11. lookfar

Oddometer:
    I don't think it will look that much different. Bit fatter on left side for battery etc.
    It is NX650 engine, so my XR will have NX650 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th AND 5th gear. :lol3:lol3

Kenno was kind enough to forward me the measurements of the locations of the XRL battery box mounts so that I
    can tig them on to the XR frame. Fingers crossed, I have all the bits that I need, with the exception of a battery.
    greyrider1 and GodSilla like this.
  12. lookfar

Oddometer:
    A biggish morning in the shed saw the XRL battery box mounted to the XR frame, and the NX650 engine installed.

IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    Squily likes this.
  13. xrxtz

xrxtz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good. During our simpson crossing in 2016 (well it was near at Dalhousie after the sandy bit when it occurred) I had one of the battery case bolts decide decamp. Much to the amusement of the 5 other electricless xr riders. As a result I am planning to put an extra brace on it(they are a bit heavy just hanging there. (Still Planning) loctite and a bit longer bolt and locknut has worked for the past 2 years though strongly recommend both.
  14. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Another biggish day in the shed saw the NXR come together a bit more. Wiring was more or less plug and play, but I need to get another left hand switch, as the XR has the plug reversed to the XRL.
    Filled the oil, and attempted to start it, no joy.....investigated the wiring diagram and put a shunt across the clutch switch contacts, and it started straight away. Let it run for a bit to warm up, then shut it down. A couple more heat cycles, and should be good to go.
    All there is left to do (haha) is marry up the XR's headlight to the XRL loom, and find somewhere to mount the ignition switch.
    IMG_1279.jpg IMG_1282.jpg
    BSW, cobrin and greyrider1 like this.
  15. cobrin

cobrin Live to Ride - Ride to Live

Oddometer:
    okay so when do you want me to pay for it? :jack
    greyrider1 likes this.
  16. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Pay for what?:dunno
    cobrin likes this.
  17. BSW

BSW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am doing the same swlp with my 03 XR250R but running into issues with the wiring loom as there are no pick up on the right hand side of the baja engine.

I have a FMX 650 engine in the garage looking at the xr600 but I will leave it standard untill my right knee tells me other wise 20180511_135056.jpg
    cobrin and GodSilla like this.
  18. lookfar

Oddometer:
    I solved the electrical issues on my conversion by using the wiring harness, CDI and regulator of the XR650L.

It was going to be a major stumbling block, as the XR600 is A/C and the NX engine is D/C with a battery. Using the XRL harness, everything is pretty much plug in.

HTH
    GodSilla likes this.
  19. bonebuster

bonebuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Something I've wondered about but not looked into. When you do the gearbox mod to an XR and put in a NX650 5th gear, wouldnt the corresponding cog have to be changed aswell to maintain the correct mesh ?
    nerone likes this.
  20. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honda definitely widened the Dominator 5th gear teeth and it still has the involute tooth faces for constant mesh from the pictures I've seen.
    My personal preference is for the stock linear gear spacing from 4th to 5th on the XRR and XRL only moving the engine up or down an octave or two with a 14 or 16 tooth sprocket for bitumen, dirt highway or single track.

Cheers