Xr600 & xr650l aussie owners

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kenno, May 30, 2013.

1. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about cam damage Kenno,
    I pull my frame strainer every oil change as it is easy to do and then you have some peace of mind until the next change or event.
    Mine is sounding a bit rattly in the top end at the moment so I need to do a bit of searching to isolate the cause.
    I have been watching the oil pressure discussion with interest, when you come to a conclusion about keeping good oil circulation in the top end I would be interested to know about it.
    Kenno likes this.
  2. greyrider1

greyrider1 old tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the first time this motor had been opened up with about 36k km on the clock. I was curious to see what I'd find after all I've done to it.

The topend and camshaft looked good with no signs of oil starvation. The cylinder had a few scratches that I knew were there from a camera inspection. The piston looked ok too, but curiously the ring gaps were all lined up at the 12 o'clock position.

The countershaft, first gear and bush got hot at some point, probably spend to much time in 5th gear.

20190528_155116.jpg
    20190529_171418.jpg
    20190810_120125.jpg
    cobrin and Ron50 like this.
  3. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see you have the cocked piston carbon too, I always get the same and the conrod always seems to wear more on its left side than the right no matter what piston I use so I measured up my crank and found that it tends to run sitting closer to the right despite the magnets in the alternator pulling it left.
    When I first saw it on the 600 I thought it was a bent conrod causing it (river crossings) but it's been a common theme through all of my bigger XRs.
    It must be a harmonic vibration thing, I cast it out of my thoughts eventually.
    My rings are never lined up like that when I do strip down.
  4. greyrider1

Oddometer:
    Not quite sure I follow, could you elaborate Kenno?
  5. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, sure, see in your photo how the crown of the piston has a narrow "clean" band on the left side and the right side of the crown is all clean, that's from the piston axis cocking to the left a bit when firing, it's normal in all of them, just noticed it and thought you may wonder why it was that way, its not a bent rod, the small end clearance allows it, I've changed a few rods at max spec and they were all over spec on the left side, ie feeler gauge would go in from the left but would not fit through to the right with a wrist pin in place.
  6. greyrider1

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kenno, I would never have given it another thought, it's quite distinct. I've only got the cases back together so I can check the small end again and see how well the rod is centered. I wonder if thats an inherent alignment problem or something to do with the weight of the piston/pin to one side.
    Kenno likes this.
  7. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it is quite distinct, I'd say that not many folks would even consider it but it happens in newish engines too that get enough of a carbon showing to highlight it.
    If I were doing the oldschool blue printing for racing I'd go chasing it but Honda seem to have left plenty of excess side clearance to cope with heat expansion and perhaps to stop vibration hammering the cases, my crank was fairly close to central in its static state and could only move right while running if it was going to happen. The old Nortons etc require crank shimming to get things central in most cases.
    Sometimes slight side load can be a good thing as it dampens vibrations (like pushing against the track bank in sand washes to stop speed wobble), who knows what they were thinking, centralize the crank and it just might chatter its piston to pieces eventually, we'll never know exactly what Honda did find out in the test room.
    greyrider1 and Ron50 like this.
  8. greyrider1

Oddometer:
    I guess the piston is always going to lean against one side or the other besides going up and down, if it only scrapes the carbon off it's really not a problem.

They reckon xr pistons lean to the left because of the angle the fuel/air mix hits the cylinder and prefers the left side :deal.

cheers
    (if you haven't heard a rumour by smoko you make one up:lol2 )
  9. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love it! Those Honda Engineers are smart cookies lol.
  10. Ian43ktm

Ian43ktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day fella's. I've bought a MY2000 Xr600 again and looking for a long range tank. A couple of questions that have most likely been asked before. ( i did search, mostly old posts ) Which brand is best thought of and any for sale here? If no used one's where have you been getting them. Wanted a red one but ebay says white only for this model year. Do XR400 tanks fit? Thanks for any replies....................Ian
  11. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ian, I've been using the Acerbis 21 litre tank for years on my 600's and 650L's, they are the same tank but have different mounting hardware so you can use the 650L tank but need to slightly modify or make a couple of aluminium forward mounts, the cast in plastic threaded nuts are identical between the tanks, I see some red tanks on ebay at the moment but freight is usually way cheaper via an outside of ebay vendor. They are made to fit the XR250 and 400 as well and pretty sure those crazy postie fellas use them with exotic mounting methods. They are a well made tank with twin petcocks.
    I can't personally comment on others but friends up here use Clarke tanks and are happy with them as well, I just wanted that few extra litres.

Cheers
  12. Ian43ktm

Ian43ktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ken. I'll see what google comes up with..............Ian
  13. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of half days in the shed and I have this lump sitting on the workbench waiting for it's home to be ready.
    It's a bit of a mixmatch of bits, the barrel is from a later model engine, with 9mm head bolts and a nikasil bore. I had to ream out the bolt holes in the head to take the 9mm bolts ( the original bolts are 8mm) and the 10mm dowels. As a result of the later cylinder, I also had to replace the timing chain guides, chain and sprockets. The last person that was in there had hammered one of the guides in. They were using XL600 guides, sprockets and chain. The guide was too wide to fit in the cavity, so they just forced it in.

The XL600RM engine is basically an XR600 engine with electric leg, so I just swapped out the timing set for an XR assembly, and it all went together nicely. The other thing I discovered, when attempting to swap rocker arms around, is that the cam IS XL600, as the XR rocker arm "B" won't fit. The XL's lobes are in a different place on the shaft than the XR cam. If one was to use an XR camshaft, one would need to use the XR rocker arms as well.

Oh, and the countershaft was replaced with a fine spline XR countershaft- direct replacement, makes finding front sprockets a whole lot easier. Had to use the XR one, and not the XRL countershaft, as the RMG has kick start as well as electric.

Anyway, it's all bolted up, and ready to go back in.

IMG_1772.jpg IMG_1773.jpg
    greyrider1, GodSilla, cobrin and 2 others like this.
  14. Adventurepig

Adventurepig the bike, not me !

Oddometer:

:lurk
  15. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  16. Adventurepig

Oddometer:
    Hey..does anyone know if the XL600R 19mm oil strainer bolt in the bottom of the frame down tube is a reverse thread . Its giving me a hard time trying to loosen it. I haven't been the first by the looks.
  17. Gunerdo

Gunerdo fromwanerbe

Oddometer:
    Normal thread, lefty loosey righty tighty.
  18. Adventurepig

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  19. OzAnt

OzAnt Still searching

Oddometer:
    You may want to check you crush washer when you get it off as it may not have sufficient clearance for the threads to engage properly when it it fully installed.
  20. Adventurepig

Oddometer:
    Looks like the welder and a sacrificial 18mm socket is my last option. Be warned it a cheesy #@#!er that can blow out to a time waster if its been previously damaged.