Xr600 & xr650l aussie owners

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kenno, May 30, 2013.

1. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    If the thread is installed before the oil (which would seem to be logical), that could be a NO. A dry join.

Mine is also "stuck". Twice I've tried to get it out and failed, I abandoned the efforts to avoid damaging the nut.

Like the choke plate, it's a "feature" on many of these bikes.
    Adventurepig likes this.
  2. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I picked up the RMG's fuel tank from the spray painter this morning. I took it down before I went to work to get them to re-spray it in Shasta White.

A couple of hours later, after applying the stickers, here it is on the bike.

IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
  3. Spanky McKanky

Spanky McKanky Spanky

Oddometer:
    This is a long shot.... Mick Hone Motorcycles in Mont Albert (Melbourne) had an XR 600 in his shop for sale a few months ago. It was on rec rego, had quite a few mods done and I'd actually thought about buying it myself and restoring it.
    I ended up buying a 650 Transalp he had there instead. Give them a call.
    Cheers, Spanky.
  4. lookfar

Oddometer:
    I have this one, but has been restored some time ago. 'tis an '88

IMG_1807.jpg IMG_1808.jpg
    Squily, mb8 and Adventurepig like this.
  5. Adventurepig

Adventurepig the bike, not me !

Oddometer:
  6. lookfar

Oddometer:
    No idea, see what crops up.
    NX650 would be nice.

Sorta leaning towards another XR600, as I have a few bits in my Honda box, including a rebuilt engine.
    Adventurepig likes this.
  7. cobrin

cobrin H2IK Sequence

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I've been asked to overhaul the rear brake on a 19995 NX650. The same one I've done new fork springs/seals and new top end rebuild. The complaint is that the rear brake is weak and excess brake lever travel. Early 2018 I had rebuilt the rear master cylinder cause it leaked and were worn. That helped a heap so the owner said. The owner only brakes with the rear brake cause of an accident as a kid and grabbing a handful of the front. I know I know, the front diving still under brakes he's not liking, him not knowing what to look for when buying springs didn't help he has standard rates and didn't take into consideration his weights and loads, still it's better than the sad affair with the original soft springs. I can adequately brake and not have the front dive.

When operating the rear brake I noticed an awful amount of movement of the calliper itself.

On removing the rear wheel I see a chewed up bearing and shake my head, anyway that's another fix for later.

The calliper support bracket checks out okay on the swingarm. The hanger bolt for the pads needs renewing (have that), the the slide bolt screw's into the calliper fine but there is slop in the support bracket. This is where some of the movement is. The other mounting/slide bolt/bush was corroded and also dry on cleaning that up and mounting the calliper excess movement is seen there too. On top of that the piston has pitting and I'm going to suggest renewing that.

I'm not sure if new bolts and bushes etc. are the fix, I'm inclined to say the whole rear calliper needs renewing simply because he's let it go to far. Pics and vid to come so you know what I'm looking at.

Edit:

And the wheel bearing:
    https://i.postimg.cc/bJws4jDz/IMG-20191105-121335.jpg
  8. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the wheel bearings are shot the movement in the disc will knock the pads away from the disc and they will have to be pumped back against the disc every time before they can start to have any effect.

The slop in the other parts won't be as important once the disc is held in line by the new bearings and isn't knocking the pads away.
    cobrin likes this.
  9. cobrin

cobrin H2IK Sequence

Oddometer:
    Okay thanks Ron50, he's supplied new pads and rotor and a brake rebuild kit (but with no piston) I'll get onto the rear bearings and continue on with the calliper/brakes. He knows he's up for new sprockets and chain, he's away on holiday atm the bugger.
    Ron50 likes this.
  10. Neonasty

Neonasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191115_122640.jpg

View attachment 1994269
    I just thought I'd add my 92 Xr to the list of bikes here.

Big tank, shit aftermarket headlight, exhaust, open airbox. Etc. It runs great and is on Historic rego, so cheap to keep on the road.

I don't ride it much since I got the Supermoto though I'm in two minds about keeping it for local rides through the forrests or selling it and spending that cash on trips and on the 701.

Keen eyes will see the other 600 in the background
  11. Burnsy

Burnsy Ride!! When,where???

Oddometer:
    Hows this inmates XL 600 withe the rare PD Tank STORKS PHOTOS 113.jpg STORKS PHOTOS 112.jpg
    Sundowner, Adventurepig and Ron50 like this.
  12. Adventurepig

Adventurepig the bike, not me !

Oddometer:
    Burnsy likes this.
  13. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That's an original '83 Tenere in the background too. A most mighty bike from Yamaha in the day, an all-day-comfort trail bike with all-day range from the tank, 33 litres when the neck filler is drilled out.
    I rode mine 654 k's before refuelling one time on the way to Bathurst at Easter. One of the best bikes I ever had until some cnut stole it.
    Burnsy likes this.
  14. Chuck Thrillseeker

Chuck Thrillseeker I'll Do It Tomorrow I'm Busy Today

Oddometer:
    Here ya go God's your bike at Bathurst.... PICT0066 (3).JPG
    Burnsy, Adventurepig and GodSilla like this.
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    That's my old bike eh. With the racks by Jungle Jim from Byron. I used that rope to tow a tree trunk for a fire, it had a pretty decent subframe too (unlike my XR :lol2). Thanks for posting that mate.
    Memories........I'm feeling all nostalgic.

Ah well, back to the XR's.
    Burnsy likes this.
  16. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Sorta XR related, I was at the local council dump today, and a bloke was going to dump this, but I managed to rescue it.

It's an old wheel truing jig, pretty much complete, just have to make some adapters for the Honda wheels. Cast iron solid, made in Japan.
    IMG_1833.jpg
    Squily, mrsdnf, GodSilla and 2 others like this.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Nice score!
  18. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Well, the RMG is pretty much done.
    A before and after pic, to refresh the memory on what it used to look like.
    Before
    XLRMG.jpg

After..(now)
    IMG_1845.jpg IMG_1846.jpg
  19. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    It looks in pretty good clean nick in the before shot actually, a good base to do a resto from.

The restoration looks nice eh.
    Adventurepig likes this.
  20. lookfar

Oddometer:
    I thought it was in pretty good nick too, but alas, I was wrong, very wrong. Needed a complete engine tear down to replace worn, wrong and missing bits to start with. Long list of stuff that I had to do to get it even running.