Xr600 & xr650l aussie owners

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kenno, May 30, 2013.

1. MymoJoe

MymoJoe Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer:
    Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
    Is it good in the old girls?

I buy it by the 20ltr drum for my holden rodeo. Ran it in my ktm625, but it burnt it, so switched to motul 5100

2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Rod Fagoters bike shop in Longreach I beleave still has them (OBJ knows, that's who I heard it from on here).

$10000 and no compliance plate.
  3. outback jack

outback jack Long timer

Oddometer:
    No not Rods Trev, he sells Blue & Green. Horsepower Longreach sell Red & Yellow. He has a few good second hand L's in stock as well.
  4. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Well there you go...
  5. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Outback Jack tells me they are imported by a Longreach shop.

Bikes usually cost a grand freight from the U.S. so it would be an interesting and hassle free purchase from Longreach if it is true.

Got a spare 2002 ADR frame sitting here for just that purpose although I think ADR would be cheap if shared amongst a group, I emailed the mob some time ago but can't remember the details, think it was 3 grand for compliance run through and they would stamp the group or something like that.
  6. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yikes, 6k for a new bike from U.S. + 1k freight + 3k ADR, under 10k complianced even if you only did one bike and cheaper for more than one.

Mind you these 650L's go really cheap sometimes and if you don't mind being told your bike is old you can just shovel new parts into it.
  7. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I buy it in the 20L as well, if you found it evaporates I might switch between the two on my next run to check it out with a new piston/bore.
    I put an oil cooler on and dropped oil temp from 125c to 105c thinking it would be ok, when I pulled the engine apart for the kicker before Birdsville the new 2000k wiseco had big buildup on top so i thought it was just the sloppy piston burning it and did not have time to go the bore and piston route so it went back in.
    The fact that I can get delo400 at any servo appeals to me and I always carry a litre anyway.
    5100 overpowers my deodorant and costs more but it is a good oil, both 600's used it to the cape.
  8. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  10. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  11. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

1991 XR680RN Baja Monster
    Since the first officially sanctioned Baja 1000 in 1967, Honda motorcycles have come to dominate this world-renown event with 16 consecutive motorcycle wins including the most recent victory in 2012, good for 23 total wins. In the 1990s, though, big-bore two-strokes ruled the day, and Honda met the challenge as it does with most: experimentation, to find new ideas for future four-stroke off-road bikes. The monstrously huge XR680RN you see here is the result of one of those fantastically creative experiments.

The late Bruce Ogilvie—long-time team coordinator for Honda’s Off-Road Team, two-time winner of the Baja 1000 and five-time victor in the Baja 500—explained a few years ago how this bike came into existence. “In 1991 we developed the bike nicknamed The Monster. We were looking for a way to gain a horsepower edge over the big two-strokes, so we took an XR600R and bored and stroked the engine to 680cc and put in a hotter cam. Boy, that thing ran hard! You really had to recalibrate your brain and change your riding style, because you would hit things so fast, so much sooner than you were used to.

“It was faster than all the two-strokes of the time, but we had pumped it up so much we were grossly exceeding the design limits of the entire bike. Durability became an issue. The 680 made so much horsepower it would just crack the center cases horizontally. Then we started exploding rear wheels, bending swingarms, stuff like that. It sure was fun to ride, though. It was incredibly fast. The Monster never finished a race, but we learned a lot.”
  12. KASUYAHO

KASUYAHO Long timer

Oddometer:
    1X Kawasaki KX500 of the day

[​IMG]
  13. TopDogDave

TopDogDave Manly, NSW, Australia

Oddometer:
    locaql talent
    [​IMG]
    Noprogram likes this.
  14. TopDogDave

TopDogDave Manly, NSW, Australia

Oddometer:
    me...no talent!
    [​IMG]
  15. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy shit!! At least we know the cranks were ok, they should have tied fencing wire around the cases before they broke.
    Thanks for the pics, never knew it existed.
  16. Captain115

Captain115 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I'll probably ask this same question in the main XR6 thread (Call all XR600s) at some point, but I figured that it might be more relevant with the aussie-spec XR.

Basically, if you want to run anything else on the bike, you've got to do the stator upgrade yes? Because at the moment, if I turn on my indicators it makes the headlight brightens and dims frequency of the blinkers; pretty funny to watch.

But yeah to run a GPS, charge phone etc I'd need a more powerful stator right?

My question is: would it be better to wire up a little battery somewhere, so I can charge stuff for a bit when it's the bikes off or if I hook up small extra lights, I can have them on while the big is off (eg setting up a tent in the dark)?
    Obviously it doesn't matter if I run the battery down since it's a kickstart.

Or is it easier/better just o run if all off the normal stator power?

I know that Ken's done some touring on the XR (L?) and might chime in, but what about others out there? Or maybe you guys might remember what you did back in the day, when you were riding them new!

Side note: I have verrrry little funds, so keep it simple and cheap.

Cheers,

John
  17. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi John, I can help you with that, save your dollars because the stock system can handle it, my XR600 runs a small battery just fine (thousands of K's) and I use it in the way you want to.

You just need to tap into the green and black wires at your regulator/rectifier behind the headlight.

I fitted a diode and small battery behind the speedo and wired a cig socket into it for permanent 12vdc when the engine is off, diode stops any chance of the battery wasting via the rectifier should there be a fault at any time (unlikely).

My GPS is wired direct to the green and black wires so when the engine stops I get an alert on the gps that it has lost power and it then doesn't flatten the 12v or gps batteries, don't use the cig socket for the gps, it will drive you nuts switching off and on all the time because of the terminals vibrating and affecting connection in the socket.

It works really well and is the reason a few folks have not sold their XR600's around Australia. They are a good adventure bike too, just take it easy or gear it up for long runs.

Agricultural installation for Cape trip, I'll get around to something neater one day but it works fine.
    [​IMG]
  18. Captain115

Oddometer:
    Perfect response Ken, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I'm pretty shit with electronics (I think I've got my sparky or elec engineer friends to explain the difference between current, voltage and Watts about 20 times but still don't know what they're on about) but this does sound like something I could do...or give one of my mates a 6-pack to do!

So I'd need some wire, tape or heatshrink and a battery, and a 12 outlet yeah? That photo helps heaps by the way, great that I can see how you put everything together.

Just to double check, what kind of 12v battery should I be looking for, or would you suggest? Something to get from battery world for example?

Thanks,

John
  19. Kenno

Kenno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it is better to know less because you keep things much simpler, it really matters when you are out there on your own in the scrub.

I used some plastic terminal strip held to the bars with cable ties for the connections, made a little battery cradle from aluminium sheet so the speedo bolt brackets don't damage the battery base then one of these 12v 1.3Amp batteries http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2480&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=997#12
    The battery is held in place with cable ties too as is the moisture proof cig lighter from the same place.

The whole thing weighs nothing, is bulletproof and was meant to be a temporary setup but I fell in love with it and left it there.

The whole lot will only cost you about $30.
    Best money ever spent on the old girl, totally changed it's character for getting away without having to rely on 240v charging for camera, phone, gps etc, i got one of those multi type battery chargers and plug it into the socket at camp and it charges the weird camera battery to full.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charging the phone at camp
    [​IMG]
  20. Captain115

Oddometer:
    Perfect, thanks Ken. Exactly what I needed to hear and see!

I'll give it a crack after I get some time to put the old girl back together (using that sweet flywheel holding method you mentioned).

Thanks again, will let you know if I have any troubles.

John