XR600R where to get big fin head done

Discussion in 'Australia' started by TopDogDave, Dec 8, 2009.

1. TopDogDave

TopDogDave Manly, NSW, Australia

Oddometer:
    I know it's old school but bear with me........anyone know where/who can do me a big fin job on an existing Xr600R head?
    I already tried ballards but of course - no longer.
    Any clues?

Here an original with a big fin one below it. Needs some aluminium fab and welding skills I guess...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. factory

factory Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not what you asked but....

I remember reading once that they stopped doing them as they actually lowered the plug tip temp which was not desirable. Extra cooling is better provided by an oil cooler (xr250 or even better xr400) mounted up behind headlight. Gives cooler oil to whole engine and holds 1/2 litre extra.
  3. Mototrans

Mototrans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    worth calling micks metalcraft?, they weld up plenums etc for turbo cars.. worth a shot.
  4. searchin oz

searchin oz Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer:
    +1 on what he said.

Even the go fast Honda boys of the time will agree the big fins are not all the rage once thought.
    I recall having a discussion about this with Pip Harrison (Honda's #1 off road racing man till not long ago) and other ex Honda Safari team members at the bar of Mildura Motorbike Club many moons ago - I was going to do mine at the time as I was racing quite a bit back then. I didnt get the job done, went with the oil cooler instead.

If you do go ahead with the job make sure you let the fabricator see the bike with the fuel tank on. The standard Ballards big fin head didnt allow the fittment of the big Acerbis tank.
  5. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    In one of the scanned articles in the safari bike pics thread, they said that an oil cooler was much more efficient at lowering temps than the fin conversion, but I understand if you want to do it because it looks cooler.:D
  6. Hodgo

Hodgo TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer:
    I concure with Trev.

Oil cooler is the only worth while investment in keeping one of these cool. Big fin head is a complete waste of money.

7. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed

I put a setrab cooler on mine from preciscion concepts in the US (ex baja 500 oil cooler with Honda team engravings on the XRP couplings)
    [​IMG]
  8. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Oil coolers, Nick Dole at Tecknik (?) out at Penrith can do the job, he did mine. Just a couple of streets from Ballards (he's their old mechanic). Used all std Honda parts too.
    It makes a difference on those hot summer days, and reduces the dreaded detonation problem.
  9. Trang

Trang ... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer:
    This help?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. searchin oz

searchin oz Sand, Gimme more sand

Oddometer:
    The articles above are getting old now!! We have the top one framed and hanging on the clubroom walls - Hedge was the club captian for a number of years.

If you have a look at the above you will notice Pip and Pete as the mechanics. Both Pip and Pete now agree the big fin head is not worth the dollars. It can aid in cooling but you are better off with the oil cooler or nothing at all and spend the money elsewhere - Tibboburra Pub??.

On a completly diiferent note, these bikes bring back the memories - I had the same set up (without big fin head) for a few years - built by myself with help from Pete and Hedge. Another bloke that helped with the Mildura Safari bikes and done all my XR engine work is Sy Nunan, what he can do with engines and fabrication has to be seen to be believed!. Sy still tinkers in the shed and from time to time I will drop off a cylinder for a rebore or some other job. Only sold the XR a few years ago and still wish I didnt.
  11. TopDogDave

TopDogDave Manly, NSW, Australia

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I already have an oil cooler and next week fitting a bored barrel and JE pot to get to 630cc......
    As for the big fin head....will see what the temps are after the new pot is on.

The cooler has made a massive difference.
    The other week in Sydney I wen tto the bike show in Homebush - vapour console said air temp was 45C (really was 42C) and the oil temp never got over 105C. In the Simpson back in August it was up to 125 all the time....before the cooler was fitted...be interesting to see how she'd go now its on...I just lurve these old thumpers....I can fiddle with all sorts of bits....no compuers or injectors....bliss!

[​IMG]
  12. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    No radiators or hoses either.:D The simplicity of air-cooled motors has always attracted me. And the big XR's are just fun to ride anyway.:D
  13. gizmoe

gizmoe Adventurer pretender

Oddometer:
    Mate has a XR630/640 with cam, compression full system etc also running an XR400 oil cooler & a big finned head would have to help cause the old girl puts out some heat.

I remember reading HRC USA came up with the Big Finned head idea & in testing out performed an oil cooler, but I'm sure they ran both.

A Big Finned head has to work reasonably well, it was how Kawasaki Engineers stopped the MACH III 3 cylinder 2 smokers from blowing up as the centre cylinder would get too hot & boom.
  14. Motomechanic

Motomechanic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if you know where to get those red valve adjuster covers that are shown in the first picture? Mine need replacing and a set of those would go nicely..
  15. EarlT

EarlT n00b

Oddometer:
    RE: Big Oil Cooler

Top Dog Dave,
    Where did you get that Big oil Cooler,
    and the Brackets? :ear :ear

They Look Great.

I want them on My XR600!