XR650 R title transfer in CA - HELP

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Whitney151, Nov 30, 2009.

  1. Whitney151

    Whitney151 n00b

    Nov 29, 2009
    Hello All,

    First things first, I'm new to the whole ADV forum and just wanted to say hello. It's cool the net affords people like us the ability to compile vast amounts of knowledge on the things we love to do.

    Anyway, I've just purchased a CA plated 2001 XR650r. I took all my paperwork down to the hole that is the DMV to get my name put on the title. Everything was cool until they asked for an odometer mileage. When I told the person the bike didn't have an odometer, I got one of these...:huh
    Needless to say, I've paid the tax and dues, but I still don’t have a title in my name.

    The bike is plated and already has its 2010 registration; I just need to get it in my name. I know the laws changed after 2001 and they stopped plating, but before 2001 the bikes are grandfathered in.

    Has anyone delt with this before who can offer me some advise? Is there a code I need to provide the person at the DMV?? Or am I just screwed?

    Thanks very much!
  2. NSFW

    NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

    Feb 20, 2007
    Burbank CA
    welcome to the community and someone should be able to provide some answers from their experience.

    my guess is contact the previous owner and get an affidavit.

  3. boney

    boney Ride > Post Supporter

    Oct 19, 2004
    Sonoma CA
    Check the box that says the odometer is not capable of displaying the actual mileage of the vehicle then make up a number, if it's not too late.

    You may run into issues trying to prove to the DMV that the bike has no odometer. I'm pretty sure that's illegal.:deal
  4. FakeName

    FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

    Jan 1, 2007
    San Diego
    In CA, there is a box on the transfer of title and the "pink" slip for the odometer reading. Fill it in to whatever you believe is accurate. The previous owner was supposed to do that- it's right above his/her signature.

    Go to AAA if you can rather than the DMV, and DO NOT tell them there is no odometer.

    Might want to let the previous owner know what the mileage is/was, and that you will be telling dmv there is an odometer. Just so everyone is clear.
  5. BootDragger

    BootDragger Motorcycles are the perfect antidote!

    Mar 1, 2008
    Santa Paula, Ca.
    Just buy a Trail Tech computer as you will want it anyway. You can set it to whatever milage you want it to say. For plating issues...your is minimal. Got a great bike! :D

    The "Statement of Facts" form is where to claim any odo milage concerns but just avoid the problem with a Trail Tech.
  6. PacificPT

    PacificPT Long timer

    Aug 23, 2006
    Monterey, CA
    +1 on the trailtech idea, it will come in handy when riding figuring out how much gas you have left, where is the turn etc....
  7. G-Force Junkie

    G-Force Junkie Long timer

    Jul 13, 2005
    Castaic, Ca (So.Cal.)
    As you have learned...always give the dmv what they want. It doesnt have to be correct or accurate, the person behind the counter could care less.
  8. RandyM

    RandyM Less talk, More ride

    Jun 9, 2007
    Grass Valley, Ca
    I ran into the same problem before when I bought my TTR-225. I turned in the title without the odometer part filled in, told them it did not have an ODO and asked what I should do. They rejected the paperwork and told me to put one on and come back with the form filled out.

    I put a trail tech computer on the bike so I have an odometer(and a speedometer). Then I put an estimated mileage based on what the previous owner said and checked the box says it is not the actual mileage. They did not inspect the bike or ask to inspect it either time. I think I had to fill out another form called statement of facts explaining why the odometer did not read the actual mileage. They accepted the paperwork and I got the title. In the future I would just put the best estimate of the mileage and not mention that there is no odometer.

    Also you need the previous owners signature in the odometer disclosure box or they won't accept it.
  9. Whitney151

    Whitney151 n00b

    Nov 29, 2009

    Thanks very much everyone - Will stop by the local DMV tomorrow to give it a shot as I already have the owners signature on the odometer disclosure. I just wanted to run things by here to see if there was another way, but as usual, give the man what he wants. Will also seriously look into a trail tech computer. Sounds good.


  10. larryboy

    larryboy Stable genius.

    Jan 9, 2005
    Über Alles,California
    That's all it takes, just put a number in there. I just got my title transfered on my 2002 XRR, I screwed up and signed in the disclosure box where the previous owner is supposed to sign and had to do another form to take back. Luckily I had saved the e-mail of the guy I got it from as he has moved away, he had me sign for me and put his DL number in on the new form. Whew, all done now!!
  11. MikeinFresno

    MikeinFresno Been here awhile

    May 23, 2009
    vehicles manufactured for the street are required to have an odo, off-road veh are not, so if this is a converted to the street bike then that is where the problem started. It is now req to have one if it is plated. Its a law to protect a new buyer from being cheated when the seller tells them its only got 1000mi and its actually got 100000 mi.
  12. cribaby

    cribaby Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

    Aug 29, 2007
    Far West Texas
    There is no requirement for a odometer on a converted bike. You need to meet all requirements on CHP form 888 and have a signed statement of facts and VIN verification. Since your bike is registered as a street bike the dmv is just use to asking for a mileage reading. It's easier to just tell them a mileage number and get through the process - no cop should site you for not have one, if they do take it to court and show the judge a copy of CHP form 888.
  13. psychohawk

    psychohawk Been here awhile

    Oct 24, 2009
    Prague, Czech Republic
    How did it go?

    When registering mine I just checked the box that says "mileage exceeds mechanical limitations" ... or something like that. Was a non issue.

    Ride on,