XR650L TAT rider needs wheel bearings in northern Nevada

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by MotoMigrant, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MotoMigrant

MotoMigrant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA or Celje, Slovenia
    Hello, 3 of us are riding the TAT and just got to Eureka, Nevada. The XR needs front wheel bearings bad, like almost can't ride bad. Anyone have any that is near us or suggest a Honda dealer? Thanks! Call or text if you can help otherwise we will 1 day air the bearings but that will be Tuesday arrival :( thanks, Kyle 412 901 7760
  2. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be driving from Reno to Wendover in the morning to start the HOW, wasn't planning on going through Eureka but if you could find Bearings from a shop that might be open by 9am in Reno on Sunday I could get them and bring them to you or close by. I've been in your situation on the TAT, needed Husky bearings in Battle Mountain, NV, we had to overnight them, they actually got there in less than 24 hours...It is about days ride to Battle Mountain on the TAT from where you are at, if you could make it there getting bearings shipped would be easier (right on I-80). The closest place you might find them are either Ely or Winnemucca but neither are close. Your biggest problem will be finding a shop open on Sunday.
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Obviously best to fix it but you can't believe how bad bearings are and still rideable. I rode most of Mex2Can on XR600 with rear wheel that would move at least 2" side to side at the top.
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a very good chance I have a set on my work bench. Unfortunately I'm at work now and I don't get off until 6pm.

I just checked. The local FedEx store is open until 9pm so I could get them shipped today. You probably won't get them until Tuesday.
  5. MotoMigrant

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, we will probably just look for a parts store or overnight them from rocky mountain and get them on tuesday. Going to have to back the pace down now
  6. jnowako

jnowako jake

Oddometer:

I don't have bearings at all but I am also in eureka .....I slept on a bench tho .....with a semi chubby
    MotoMigrant likes this.
  7. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWI... RockymountainATV is not open Sunday

I just emailed a buddy to see if he can find and ship the bearings. He's asleep right now.
  8. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    I was just tracking down bearings in Northern NV last week!
    Elko is 114 miles from Eureka, but I'm almost positive that Six State Distributors could help you out. Unfortunately, they won't be open until 8am on monday.
    http://www.sixstates.com/products/location.jsp?location=46
    4290 East Idaho Street
    Elko, Nevada
    (775) 753-3993
    Tony is the guy I spoke to, he was very helpful. You'll want to know the bearing size.

You could also try Fairmont Supply in Elko - I imagine they have similar hours. They didn't have the bearings I needed (6205), but it sounds like they have a lot.
    Ask for Chris.
    403 West Idaho Street
    Elko, NV 89801
    Ph: 775-738-6205

There's a shop in Elko (5th Gear Powersports) but they are closed sunday and monday. Not sure if they have Honda parts - not seeing them on their website.
    420 30th St, Elko, NV 89801
    (775) 738-8933

It really sucks that it's the weekend. :cry
    If you have them overnighted, I hope it works out as well for you as it did for Sharpie.
    BigWan and I had sprockets overnighted to Walla Walla one time.
    The shop got them out, UPS got the package on a plane...and then something happened to the plane and it sat on the runway most of the night.
    We got the sprockets eventually, but we had to sit on our asses in Walla Walla an extra day.

Since you still have 2 working bikes, I would call Six State on monday to see if they have the bearings.
    It's less than 2 hrs to Elko, you could be back on the road by monday afternoon.
    If you need a hammer, there's a Napa Auto on 12th street in Elko. Tel: (775) 738 - 8139

You still have lots of great riding ahead of you! Don't forget - there's no gas in Denio Junction (one of Sam's gas stops)
    Keep that in mind when you leave McDermitt, NV. I think Fields, OR is the closest gas to Denio.

Good luck and have fun!
    p.s. Hey - you're the guy on the 950 who was asking about the TAT in Orange Crush!
    and it's the Honda that's needing parts? :D
    Trailer Rails's wife likes this.
  9. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Should be a pretty common set of bearings...Ely, NV has E-Lee Yamaha/Suzuki, prob closed tomorrow.

Another good place to try is Summit Racing in Reno, they carry everything these days and are open all the time. They're quick on delivery too. Call them today and you'll probably have your parts tomorrow morning in Battle Mtn...assuming you're gonna keep limping on.
    SFMCjohn likes this.
  10. MotoMigrant

Oddometer:
    Thanks to those who replied. He nursed the bike on the road to Battle Mountain while the 3 of us rode the TAT. He was able to get the bearings at napa & get the wheel done. The mighty 650 ran down the trail for another 18mi before coming to a stop. Seems to have no compression. Bike is coming apart in a motel room. This sucks :(
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Urgh, the L model sucks as you now know. Give it away to a local and put your buddy on the Greyhound homeward bound.
  12. jnowako

jnowako jake

Oddometer:
    No problem glad I could help