XR650R electricity

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by themansfield, Jan 8, 2009.

1. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am severely Color Blind (no joke) I usually dont even mess with Wires... So I posted a couple of closeups of the wires maybe you guys can tell me what color they are...lol I usually have to ask my wife and my daughter what color stuff is 20190316_090915.jpg 20190316_091018 (1).jpg
  2. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can see 2 white, Black/red Blue/yellow , and the White/yellow The rest are hard for me to tell for sure ( this is where the wife and kids usually come in)
  3. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
  4. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    And if your headlight mask is like mine you have a circuit board enclosed behind the light.
  5. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    is it possible to have the Dakar Stator, and Nothing else from the kit ???
    it is still the Stock Honda headlight, that's what started this whole mess I just wanted to put a real light on the front of this pig...
    UFO rear fender, Tusk dual sport taillight , blinkers, battery, rest of the electrical system looks stock except for that stator, and the Ricky Rec/Reg, that's what made me think it was a Ricky Stator in the beginning ...
    Definitely no circuit board, just pulled the headlight out it's stock...
    Lights had never been upgraded as far as I can tell, stock head and taillights were on it when I got it...

Best thing to do at this point it start from scratch, redo everything So I know it matches the Schematics from Baja, or from Ricky, the way it is wired now it shouldn't even really work ?!?!?! but everything does, even the 1 candle power stock headlight
  6. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Yes I believe you could just by the stator and rec and reg also. Or it was purchased used for more power as the stocker only had a few poles wired on the stator.
    Edited: the circuit board on mine has no real electronics on it besides two relays (turn signals and headlight) and a fuse plus plugs ends for all the lightings and horn. Just to keep things tidy and out of the way.
  7. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like there are only 6 wires coming out of the Dakar Stator ??? I have 8 for sure ...owell like I said just time to start from scratch and redo everything correctly, Cuz there aint no Tow Trucks where I ride !!!
    pigjockey likes this.
  8. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you guys are super Awesome, thanks for all your help, I never have simple problems... Like a fouled spark plug, No I have to have mind bending problems that take some of the best Minds around to solve... You guy's rock Thanks again for your help
    pigjockey likes this.
  9. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Read the manual and it says it has a orange and yellow also that are capped off if you only go one headlight. Other than that I’m kinda stumped. So that makes 8 wires coming from the stator.
  10. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw that in the manual too... I have searched and cannot find any such wires anywhere...
    the stator wire colors don't really match the Dakar setup, and I only have one AC reg, its the original looks like it has never been removed...
    Totally Stumped Me too...
    Like I said all I wanted was a bigger headlight, so I can ride home from work after dark, Simple little thing you would think ...
  11. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    The original might be redone than as the stock one only has 2 poles wired for lights the other two poles are for ignition and a bunch with nothing on them. Here’s the Ricky stator
    http://www.rickystator.com/images/upload/honda/RSXR650.pdf
    I ain’t quitting that easy yet as I have had so much trouble figuring out my own bike wiring.
    Maybe you better get the Mrs to tell use what exactly the colors are. Eventually we’ll get it right. One regulator means it’s a 200 watt single feed not 2x 100 w
    johnnykind likes this.
  12. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats exactly what I was thinking in the beginning, still cant figure out why both white wires go into the DC reg/rec.
    the battery wasnt even in there when I bought the bike, the battery came with the Tusk kit. I installed that...
    He must have removed some eletronics before he sold me the bike that is the only explanation for the way things are wired ?!?@#$!$
    pigjockey likes this.
  13. BRUSHCREEK

BRUSHCREEK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey PJ thanks for posting diagram/instructions for the Electrosport lighting kit. I've had my XRR for almost a year now and had no idea what lighting kit is on it. Could you tell me what amp the fuse to run? Mine has a 20 amp in it for the headlight and tail light the other bank is empty. I'm guessing it's for signals and horn?
  14. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok Now for the Update...
    Figured it out, turns out the former owner had converted the bike to a full DC conversion...
    If your having problems with your PIGs wiring, and it doesn't look like any of the popular wiring diagrams, it Might just be this one... xr650r12.png
  15. Behindbars

Behindbars Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    1EF4755E-FE59-4438-9193-B1BC7991B478.jpeg F58682A8-D67F-4F0A-8251-3840F4D41689.jpeg 51C7B695-A4A6-47E3-B584-0E51EC387C2E.jpeg Going with a full DC setup. Baja Designs rewound stator how would I hookup these wires. Possible to use this keyed switch assembly? No turn signals. Trailtech fan. Horn. LED lights. Need a lead for gps and usb
  16. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definitely a BD dual output stator.

The stator output consists of two wire pairs: (1) White & Green, (2) White & White.

For an all-DC setup (combined stator outputs) you connect them like this:
    1. Combine the White wire from the W/G pair to a White from the W/W pair
    2. Combine the Green wire from the W/G pair to a White from the W/W pair
    3. Connect each combined output to a yellow lead from the Reg/Rec
    Behindbars likes this.
  17. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    This might be a way to deal with labeling once you've identified everything...I use mine all the time. They stick well if you use contact cleaner on the wires...for extra durability you can use small pieces of clear heatshrink over them.

upload_2019-4-9_5-27-29.png
    johnnykind and Behindbars like this.
  18. johnnykind

johnnykind Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are 2 different circuits coming off the stator, on an AC/DC system it Does matter which one goes where, On a full Dc I am not sure that it matters.
    on Mine both the white wires coming from the stator go to the 2 yellow wires on the DC Rec/Reg
    Red and black coming from the Rec/Reg go to the battery...
    Most of the rest of the harness hooks up like normal...

As far as the key switch, haha well I haven't made it that far yet... have to wait for the engine parts to come back from the shop to figure out if it all works yet!
    Your USB and GPS leads, you should use Double female connections on your battery and run a set of wires +/- up to the handle bars to where you want it mounted.
    Then you have power at the bars that can be used for whatever device you want to run !!!

finally for the Baja Designs stuff I am not very familiar with their wiring harness, I kinda had to patch my own light setup together, but they do have very good directions on their website https://www.bajadesigns.com/tech-info/General-Tech-Info.asp

Once I found this wiring diagram for the full DC system it all made sense, this should give you most of the info you need...
    POST SOME PICS WHEN YOUR DONE... xr650r12 (1).png
    Behindbars and Davethestick like this.
  19. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    On an AC/DC split system it doesn't matter which stator output is used for which circuit. The only dedicated circuit is ignition (a separate winding).

If you're not using the Grn/Wh pair (only using the Wh/Wh pair) it will work fine but you'll only be getting 125w.

The wiring combination above came directly from Baja Designs tech support and works well. If you need all that power.

If you won't actually be using more than 125w it might be best to only use one stator output, as the reg/rec will be under much less stress.

If you do run loads beyond 125w the dual sport wiring needs to be beefed up (using a separate run of 16 gauge wire). You may or may not need a beefier reg/rec depending on how much unused power the reg/rec has to shunt.
  20. Behindbars

Behindbars Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    I don’t think I’ll be using a lot of power. Advmonster led headlight,led tailight and plate light from DRC. Trailtech fan, gps maybe iPhone charger plug.