1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

XR650R electricity

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by themansfield, Jan 8, 2009.

1. esteyes

esteyes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    nope. not stock at all. looks like the battery/batt box installation pretty much disappeared the airbox.... personally i would want to restore the airbox so i would find a decent used one.
    dogsslober likes this.
  2. JakeTheSnake0528

JakeTheSnake0528 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a used air box. I don’t even know what all is hooked up. The bike was plated in CA but no longer has signals or horn and the brake lights aren’t hooked up. Very strange.
  3. JakeTheSnake0528

Oddometer:
    Hey guys just took the cover off to peek at the stator and it’s definitely aftermarket but no idea where from. Does this look familiar to anyone? Curious about output. 38ACED20-201F-4B88-9FDE-A16EFF8B0D4C.jpeg
  4. JakeTheSnake0528

Oddometer:
  5. Bigfoot17

Bigfoot17 n00b

Oddometer:
    Off topic because I have a 2001 XR400R. I want to add a charging port for phone or gps. I do not plan on changing stator. I have to replace my stock regulator with the Trail Tech reg/rec. And I want to use an SLA battery to be charged by stator. If I replace stock reg. , does that convert entire lighting to DC? How many amp battery do I need.
  6. Lawman_745

Lawman_745 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bump this thread up because I'm about to redo my entire wiring kit. My 01 had a first gen style Baja designs kit that eventually fried. I removed most of it and installed a Tusk kit with rechargeable battery. Everything was fine for about a year until now. I randomly lose all power to everything. All lights are led now with led flashers for turn signals. My Tusk battery pack won't stay charged, and when I hit the rear brake, all power for lights, horn, ect goes out. It's a bad mess that I'm tired of dealing with. I'd like to tear it apart and start over. Not sure which stator I have either. Think thats the first place I'll look.
  7. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post up some pics of your stator. IIRC the Tusk kits dont really splice into the factory wiring/ charging system at all so it should be pretty simple to tear into. Whats your budget for the rewire? Reason I ask is that Baja Designs sells a whole new kit on their site for $500 or so. If WV only needs a headlight and brakelight you can get away alot cheaper by just sourcing your own parts.
  8. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those electrosport stators are known to be pretty crummy honestly. What kind of regulator rectifier R/R are you running?

Ive been using this battery for years with no complaints: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...44-20&linkId=ab5d6f9a8cc91955e733fe632f4e0c99. It will run my headlight tailight and radiator fan for a few minutes.

Hi Bigfoot - If you still have everything stock, you have your Stator making AC, a Regulator which regulates the AC current to the AC headlight bulb. No DC on the bike. Even if you dont want to buy a new Stator, you will need a Regulator Rectifier to create DC Voltage for your accessories. This will in turn require at least DC headlight bulb. For years I ran the stock system with a Cyclops DC bulb and AC converter (see their website) and it worked fine. But the bike only makes a best case of 30 watts of electricity. So if you get a 30w bulb, then you may have flickering and issues.
    Bigfoot17 and Gildus like this.
  9. Lawman_745

Lawman_745 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Tusk kit is a total loss system with a rechargeable 12v battery pack. After I did some digging, I have a stock stator. So, I've ordered a RM 200w stator, rectifier, and associated parts. My plan is since I have everything wired up with the Tusk kit 12v DC, is to run the stator wired 200w DC. I have all LED lights with a Led light bar on the handle bars. This should also allow me to run a few farkles like my new Trailtech Voyager and e-kit I also ordered. Funny how one problem can lead to ordering $700 worth of new parts lol.
    LVCJT and Gildus like this.
  10. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which stator did you go with...thought you might go KLR but doesn't look like it?

If you ride offroad are you worried dirt/mud might coat the reg/rec? I'm sure that one has extra capacity, but concerned it still might overheat if caked in mud. (EDIT) Nevermind, just saw you had a plan for that.
  11. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious where you got that rating for the stock stator. BD? I always went by this chart...

upload_2020-5-30_0-25-17.png
  12. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha. That's the truth...not too comfortable and the seat pan is...unique.
  13. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it looks like Baja Designs stopped selling the dual sport wiring kit. They still do rewound stators though...the best commercial rewind IMO.
    Davethestick likes this.
  14. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info...regarding headlight bulbs, the stock AC filament bulb will still work fine with DC.

You just can't use a DC bulb with AC.
  15. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have the time and knowhow to build your own harness, it's a great way to go...when you're done you'll know the system inside and out and can fix most anything trail/road side.

It can seem intimidating at first, but the XR electrical system is dead simple compared to most other bikes.
    Davethestick likes this.
  16. Lawman_745

Lawman_745 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's essentially what I did when I installed the Tusk Kit. I removed everything Baja Designs and started over. I was told that this bike had a rewound stator when I bought it, but it's stock. We wired in the Tusk battery to the rectifier, but it's throwing out AC power which is no wonder my battery doesn't last long. I think with my new 200w stator wired to DC output for this Tusk kit, I should fix all of my issues!
  17. BRUSHCREEK

BRUSHCREEK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting chart, why were the Australian bikes geared so high (15/41)?
  18. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    they were sold there as Dual sports
  19. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wondered the same thing...pretty tall. The EU bikes were also for road use but got the same gearing as the US.
  20. Dan Schwartz

Dan Schwartz n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you ever get an answer? I'm trying to find the same thing out.