XR650R expert on Los Angeles West Side?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by highermath, Jul 6, 2008.

1. highermath

highermath code wrangler

Oddometer:
    Not asking for too much, izit? I am out of time to do my own wrenching. If you know someone good at the BRP fuel system, please let me know.:ear
  2. bongodave

bongodave Fixing Stupid

Oddometer:
    Mine gave me lots of problems. Hollywood Honda cleaned it out with carb cleaner and charged me $100. There's a guy there who has a BRP. Sorry, I don't remember the name.

The carbs are pretty sensitive, from what I've gathered. I've had trouble with leaks, flooding, you name it. What's it doing?
  3. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    If the bikes gonna sit for any length of time drain the bowl or run it dry.doesnt take long to gum the jets and dissassembly the only way to clean them out.shops charge by the hr and it will be a min. charge like bongo said $100:deal
  4. highermath

highermath code wrangler

Oddometer:
    It is just getting progressively harder to start. I think that it is getting too much fuel when I go to start it. I haven't changed my technique, it just isn't working as regularly as it did. I used to get it in a couple kicks. Now it's like 347 or so. Boring.

I guess that I will R&R it and give it a good cleaning. Unfortunately, I suffer from extreme lack of spare time, and I would rather pay someone than have to use what could be ridding time to wrench. I really just want a really good BRP wrench. I do know some shops a million miles away, but I suppose that I would wrench it myself rather than drive for hours to have someone else do it. That would be trailering as for me, an hour and a half of thumping down the freeway on the red pig is not my essence of joy.

5. bongodave

bongodave Fixing Stupid

Oddometer:
    Try taking off the bowl and spraying the crap out of it. It'll save you $100!:D The float needle likes to stick, causing overflow/flooding. It's usually just a little invisible crud. I also get easier starting if I turn the gas off for a bit before shutting it off. Don't know why, but I have a one-way valve in the breathing hose (got tired of the gas smell,) that makes the tank pressurize in the heat. Could be it. Try opening the tank to relieve it.

Mine started much more easily after adjusting the valves and a new plug.
    3 were tight, one was loose, and the plug wasn't gapped right!
    See if that helps. Shouldn't take that long.

Also, try thumper talk, and if you have yahoo, there's a group there who know a lot about them, and a lot of them live around here.
  6. highermath

highermath code wrangler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I have been turning off the fuel (when I remember) but this really only seems to work when I run it out, and that takes a very long time at idle. I am beginning to wonder if the check valve -- I have one as well -- might not be part of the problem.

So much for the easy way out.:tough