XR650R kickstart want to brake my foot, help!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by shardival, Oct 18, 2018.

1. shardival

shardival Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long story short.

Im a fresh owner of BRP and I love her very much. ❤️

But there is one thing... I call it "false TDC". Let me tell you, how do I start her up:

1. Honda dance
    2. Looking for TDC - I hear click or sometimes double click.
    3. Decomp and move kickstart inch or two down
    4. KICK
    5a. Bike starts up from first, second kick cold
    5b. Kickstart just suddenly stops in middle almost braking my foot. When I decomp again, it moves freely.

It doesnt metter if its hot or cold.

It feels like there is another TDC after TDC i've found.

Ofc when bike is running, it runs nice and strong. No strange noices, rattle or anything.
  2. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my 1991 DR350 would do that on occasion and at one point hobble me with an injury from trying to "quick kick" when it stalled at a busy light that went green (scary situ.). I learned the "Off bike kick start" I guess you would call it, Do the normal routine as stated above...stand off the bike and kick start with your left foot (kickstarter was on right side). This method seemed to have more force than 2 stroke style of kicking starting (siting on the bike) and if a kickback occurred it seemed to hurt less...just a thought, not sure how tall you are as being tall helps if the kickstarter is a long stroke.
    One thing I never worried about was someone stealing the bike, they would never be able to start it!
  3. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    sounds suspiciously like your hearing a click at the bottom of the stroke....my advice is to study your clicks more closely :pynd
  4. shardival

Oddometer:
    Wooot? :O Cmon man, Im kickstarting neewbie :p

Well, it does not metter if I do it when riding in public - or if I just starting bike in my garage. I tried few methods already - so now Im 100% sure that is not my fault. :eek:
    Sandspit and Night Falcon like this.
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Slowly kick it up against the compression stroke, the kickstart will stop, pull in the compression release and slowly kick it past TDC, then do your normal kick, fool proof. Forget the clicks
  6. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    This...
  7. meatsack

meatsack Moto-idiot

Oddometer:
    Agree with RideFreak.
    Also, you don't need a "quick kick". once you've tickled the decompression and dropped past TDC just give a smooth kick through the stroke.
  8. shardival

Oddometer:
    (I was just reading your post where somebody else had some problems with kickstart)

It does not work. I tried gentle kicks. Fast kicks. Kicking when hitting TDC give one click sound. Kicking at two clicks. Nothing changes.
    I think it got worst over time. I will be checking valves and cam in few days for sure.
  9. shardival

Oddometer:
    Ok, so if I remember fine: auto-decomp is allowing me to kick engine without worring about hitting TDC hard (as I do), because it works under low (800?) RPM only, and when RPMs are higher, it's turning off. When I'm finding TDC, kicktart lever become rock hard and I'm literally UNABLE to move it without help of manual decomp.

Removing autodecomp would put me in that situation (hitting TDC with my foot while kickstarting) permamently? Does anyone removed their autodecomp by installing stage1 cam?
  10. Jur1

Jur1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats how it is supposed to work. When you find TDC and kickstart lever becomes rock hard, you pull in the manual decomp lever and move just slightly past TDC. Then bring the kickstart lever back up and give it a kick.

I don't trust the auto decomp. Always find TDC with the lever and use manual decomp. Works every time.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I did it on an XR600R and it put me on crutches for 2 weeks. Are you kicking it all the way through? If not that may be your issue. Kick it through going all the way to the end of the KS's travel and wait a second for the engine to ether fire up or come to a stop, bad things happen to your foot when they aren't kicked all the way through or you start retracting your foot before everything stops or the motor is running. XRRs aren't hard to start but there is a trick to it.
  12. Hrc1

Hrc1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Old thread i know but did you ever find the root of your problem or a fix? I took my bike on vacatlon, ran and started fine. I trailer it back home, don't ride it for a few weeks and now its doing exactly what you describe where you get it slightly past tdc like normal, kick it over and sometimes it kicks normal but sometimes half way down your foot stops solid and won't continue through the stroke. It never did this a month ago. After you get it running it runs fine but yesterday didn't want to start leaving a friends place. Once running it was fine.

Did you find anything?

Ad
  13. jgas

jgas Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer:
    Hrc1 likes this.
  14. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two dents in my shin. One from a ‘67 Royal Enfield Interceptor and the other from an ‘87 XL600R. Of my five bikes, only the ‘71 TR6R has a kicker these days…and that’s enough.