XR650R owners.

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jack82, Mar 12, 2009.

1. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    These are the things you look for in a worn stock carby for anyone is interested...

Choke flap sagging at 60,000 km. Good save I reckon

20190614_170607.jpg

Very worn slide
    20190614_170717.jpg
    LVCJT and GSDane like this.
  2. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t know how the owner wouldn’t have noticed erratic idle and slide rattle noise.
    At that stage the body has had its day as well
    JM-200&
  3. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    I still have the carby with the throttle and cables sitting on my desk. :nod
  4. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    It has been playing up for while but I've finally got the bike here to sort out. Many other issues on top of this
  5. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply PJ

PM on it's way
  6. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d be having a VERY close look at the airbox for cracks, the rubber for splits (and where it is attached to the airbox), how the cover seals on the lower left corner of the air box - etc. etc.
    That is not natural wear that can be attributed to a long life but subject to external factors/influence.
    Don’t just attend to the symptom by changing the carb, find the cause and address that before changing out parts as it will happen again.
    Guessing that bike was getting through more oil that the Exxon Valdez.
    JM-2008
  7. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Cheers jm,

Normally you'd be on the money or close with that tip, but in this case absolutely not. I know exactly why it's happened and the consequences etc, but haven't discussed it with the owner in depth yet, so will play it cool for a bit. I put the pics up to try and show what is possible without obvious symptoms. This thing has always had good clean filters etc. Owner is fussy. Doesn't make any noise and has never burnt oil. It's quick.

I know you know your stuff because the 650R you sold a few years ago was sent straight from Melbourne to me and it was a good'n. Still is..... the guy has done Cape York plus about 20k km on it since.

This bike is getting a brand new stock carby. The one I am chasing is for me to set up and use as a test carby since the bloke I lent the last one to sold the bike with it fitted. Nice! I've got a few carbies here, but it's a case of trying to grab certain good bits from each one if you're lucky
  8. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Edit... sorry jm. Wrong bloke. Damn internet confuses me at times. It was @jack82
  9. Syc08

Syc08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now my headlight low beam is only just glowing the bulb element. High beam works fine blinkers fine.

Anyone know why

Thanks
  10. XR4play

XR4play motrobikes, motorbikes, brum brum

Oddometer:
    i have a pretty decent spare carb if you need a loan of it smithy but it doesn't have the coke plate ect fitted has had the tecnik mod i still have spare nos slide linkage kits ect
  11. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer mate, but I don't actually need one per se, just trying to get my spares back to where I was a while ago with a good one to use for testing / elimination. Got one sorted at the right price.... hopefully. It's in the post I'm told.
    XR4play likes this.
  12. pigjockey

Oddometer:
  13. pigjockey

Oddometer:
  14. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-6-24_4-34-5.jpeg

Here’s some pics gsxr.The slide is cleaner than a new set of forks. Choke plate looks like new. Like the whole rest of the carby.
  15. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that effort PJ. I managed to get one locally at the right price, but will no doubt be looking for another at some stage. Will keep yours in mind
  16. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Carby settings Xr650r

I have a mikuni 45 pumper on a 2002 Xr650r , Boggs down in the mid range and lacks torque ,
    Idles starts fun and pulls like a train if you keep the revs up

Can anyone advise what main jet and clip setting it should have?

it also has a staintune muffler and headers

Cheers
    Jon
  17. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    45mm is way too big
  18. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Really ?
    I inherited this bike in a bigger deal so not too fussed about a new carby but may be that explains a few things

Maybe I will have a tinker with the slide clip as it starts , idles , and goes great when pinned

Just need to sort the mid range
  19. incendiary

incendiary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Figured I might as well say hello! I recently purchased an XR650R and then had it blow up on me so it's at the shop getting the motor rebuilt. Top end starved itself of oil and chewed out the rocker arms and cam shaft. Can't wait to get it back all fresh and new but that's still a couple weeks away.
    pigjockey likes this.
  20. eddie-on-the-move

eddie-on-the-move Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bugger on the need for a full rebuild, The 650R is an awesome bike, I use mine for high country riding and adventure riding (I hate asphalt roads, boring and ride dirt as much as possible) and find its the perfect bike, handling, weight and performance.
    For what is worth make sure the jetting is right and not to lean, fix the stupid clip on the airbox and use plenty of grease on the filter edges. I invested in the suspension including a Wilburs rear shock rather than spending $600 rebuilding my old one, now i have a great handling bike, full HS and LS adjustment with a preload adjuster for when i load her up. It handles so well that I can get along single track pretty well also. For me this bike is better than any new offering for this type of riding hands down