XR650R Sheared chain adjustment bolt, In Search of???

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pfdskipper, Aug 23, 2009.

1. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heres the issue,,, I sheared off one of the adjustment bolts for the chain and after hours of gently following common extraction methods I have become exasperated..

Did the drilling and easy out as carefully as possible but it appears I am into the threading of the insert, the easy out is deeply sunk in the drilled hole and I cannot get it to budge.

I am hesitant to wrangle it out and just drill away at the issue.

Any wisdom would be appreciated... I have looked at some other threads about this issue but nothing seems to apply here...

Also, any Ideas on some Phoenix area shops that could take a look at it??

Thanks
  2. 2dumbnotto

2dumbnotto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a left handed drill bit. No I am not being a smart-ass. The left hand drill bit will grab and un-thread the bolt. Use lots and lots of PB Blaster or other penetrating oil. Good luck.
  3. pfdskipper

Oddometer:

Thanks for the input however, I did just what you recommended to no avail
  4. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Try applying heat from a torch. It will expand the aluminum more than the steel, hopefully breaking it loose.
  5. pfdskipper

Oddometer:

Thanks, I am off to give it a try.
  6. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    Water gets into the swingarm and rusts the bolt. You need to drill a small hole in each leg at the bolt end that way the water can run out. So drill the hole now and spray the heck out of it so you have the spray comming in from both ends. Then heat it and spray while hot. Let cool. Then repeat that several times. Try it hot, then as it cools, then hot again. Take your time as it could take a couple of days. But as you probably know you can't drill out your easy-out so don't get carried away and break it off. Good luck.
  7. MOTOSOTO

MOTOSOTO Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer:
    ...waterproof grease, too...or Anti-Seize on the re-install.

I completely stripped [one of] my 650R's down and ran into the same problem with the swingarm pivot/bolt and the swingarm/chain adjusters, too. If it didn't get cleaned-it got replaced, regreased and torqued to spec...and yes-easy on the Easy-Out...
  8. pfdskipper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input...I am on day two of your recommedation,,,,still no progress:cry
  9. pfdskipper

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the threading on the swingarm is tapped into the alluminum or if there is some sort of insert that is threaded and placed into the swingarm at the factory?:ear
  10. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with my KTM 525 SMR a few years ago.

I took my swing arm to a shop (link below), and Jim EDM'd the seized bolts out and installed SS inserts. The SS/aluminum galling issue is solved once and for all.

Jim is amazing, he's in Gardena, Ca, but worth sending your swing arm to. I've had no problems since!

http://www.extractit.com/

Good luck.
  11. pfdskipper

Oddometer:
    Thanks Earl,

This shop sounds like just what I need. The narrative on his website describes my ordeal EXACTLY!!!

I have found a guy in Phx that is going to give it a go on Wed. I really dont want to ship the swingarm to Ca. but I will if stage 3 of my adventure fails Wednesday.:puke1

Thanks for some great input.
  12. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim in Gardena does quite a few swing arms a year from all over the world, he knows how to protect the swing arm bearings from the fluid immersion, etc.

Others can do EDMing, but may not have the specialized m/c knowledge that Jim has. The man is AMAZING, the work he did on my KTM swing arm was just awesome!

Good luck to you.
  13. Desertdweller

Desertdweller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did the same damn thing to my XR650 a couple of months ago. Snapped BOTH of the adjusting bolts, and the "easy" out! Drilling out the "easy out" proved futile because it's hardened steel. My neighbor, who is a machinist with lots of motorcycle repair experience mentioned using an EDM, but didn't have the equipment, and thought it might be expensive. I gave him the swingarm, and he cut out the damaged areas from the outer side of the swingarm (with a plasma cutter), and filled the hole with new aluminum (with a plasma welder). The swingarm is hollow inside. He then tapped and threaded new holes for the new adjusting bolts I provided to him. He said it took him about one hour to complete. I spent two weekends prior to this pounding away and drilling around the old bolt holes. Pisser.

He is located in Riverside, Ca. PM me if you are still looking for a solution and I will try to hook you up.