XR650R tail light (cleaning up the rear end)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JoHS, Apr 11, 2006.

1. JoHS

JoHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,
    I have a '00 European model (no corking here), originally delivered with the D/S-stuff hanging below rear fender.
    It's butt ugly (!) so I would like to clean it up a bit (I ripped it off). I like the idea to use the little light above the fender. Anyone made it close to DOT-certified? Including 21/5W stop & tail light bulb (socket BAY15D ?)? (I already have the rear break switch/cables)
    Something like this?
    [​IMG]

Anyone knows any good alternatives? The fourstrokesonly folks seems to really hate overseas customers as they simply rule us out of their business. :huh

I believe the original Honda socket (missing here) is a single connector (BAY15S) bayonet type bulb socket. Am I right?
    I've read somewhere that there is a "mod" to the original equipment making the single output bulb glow more when hitting the brakes - with higher output handled by some electronic device. Anyone?

I'm not sure that I'm a fold my number plate on top of the rear fender type of guy. I see lots of though ktm enduro guys doing it but I guess I'm too old. I'm still considering making a simple number plate holder below the rear fender - and I might as well "forget" the number plate lighting along the way. :deal

I want it all to look "clean" and the DRC Edge-2 looks great but I want to try the other solution out first.

Experiences?
    Thanks in advance,

JoHS
  2. mattybag

mattybag Parrothead/Singlespeeder

Oddometer:
    Acerbis makes a trail light with 2 small lamps/bases inside, and it's almost identical to the stock XR tail light. http://www.acerbis.com/p108_taillight/7027.html

It didn't exactly fit the recess on my bike so I just pulled one of the lamp bases and zip tied it to the stock base and connected the new lamp to a brake switch for my DS registration inspection (in Arizona). It worked slick and worked for 2 rides. The only reason it doesn't work anymore is because I installed an underfender unit with my Baja Designs kit to make it California legal. Check out the Acerbis unit. It should serve you well.
    MB
  3. JRiott

JRiott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Max Power

Max Power Secret Agent

Oddometer:
    I put my Baja designs assembly under the existing lens.

[​IMG]
  5. JKL

JKL Rider

Oddometer:
    After my Electrex light and plate holder tore off on a landing I did exactly the same as Maxpower. I have been stopped by the cops twice because of my plate and after seeing it they send me on my way. They told me as long as I have a plate they are happy.:lol3 Canadian cops are okay!
    [​IMG]
  6. JoHS

JoHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning,
    I'm looking forward to hear about your approach when it arrives. They list four different models/layouts with pics of two of them. Which did you choose? XR250 -03? (since you refer to the square one I guess it's the 3x4 leds model but their webshop isn't exactly clear on this (I might be a bit slow too :evil )

Thanks again!
    JoHS
  7. JoHS

JoHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all these nice inputs.

Max Power and JKL: how is the Akrapovic working?
    I have the Honda item on my bike, looking for something a bit more restrective in the sound.
    Off-road riding in the wild over here is illegal so we need to do it when the old farmer is asleep or something. We go anyway but it's important to do it with less attitude. The see-thru Honda-part can be heard miles away if your in the zone :evil Loosing any bhp is of course a no-no so it isn't easy to find a solution in-between the corked stuff and full blown racing stuff. (will search around, both in this forum and elsewhere)

JoHS
  8. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    I run two 194 type sockets with red LEDS in each, very bright and zero heat. Total cost of like 25 bucks for all wiring and sockets and bulbs. VERY bright.
  9. JoHS

JoHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw a picture of it in another thread, didn't I? Nice setup. Other mods?
    -what about water coming in there?

thanks in advance,
    JoHS
  10. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run the baja designs LED tail light CR250R. It does go under the fender, but much more tidy than any of the oem stuff. It has a small black plastic thing to hold the license plate as well. It has brake/tail/licesens plate lights all built into one small LED unit.

I'd recomended it:thumb
  11. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    That was mine thanks, Water could be an issue, I did maintain the original grommet that seals the wires but I guess worse case scenario I'm out two LEDs at 5 bucks per.

Other mods are the Edelbrock pumper carb and a drilled out exhaust tip for now.
  12. JRiott

JRiott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the long rectangular one and I put it in there fine. Something was wired a little wrong so he's sending me the more square version. The guys name is Forrest and he was very helpful.

I'll post pictures and mounting instructions when I'm done. I also bought their hydraulic brake switch. It's by far the cheapest place to buy one that I've found.
  13. JoHS

JoHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm chatting with that same guy on email. He mentioned another XR-customer - must be you. :clap
    Nearest distributor of DRC is in Sweden. I'll be around and wait for your verdict before ordering.

LEDs are the way to go I think.

JoHS
  14. Max Power

Max Power Secret Agent

Oddometer:
    2nd best mod I have done to her. The sound..... oh my.
  15. JRiott

JRiott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I got the part today. I pulled everything out of the package and it fit perfect. There is a bracket that uses the existing holes in the XR650R Fender. All the hardware and connectors come with the kit.

The running light looks very similar in brightness to the stock bulb. The brake light is very bright and I'm very happy with the setup.

The part number I used was D45-DTL-9110.

I'll try to post some pics here in a day or so. I'm skiing with my boys tomorrow and coach soccer Saturday.
  16. JoHS

JoHS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    -Do I need some other stuff to run LEDs on my bike? I don't have a battery but I bought this to power my gps directly. (will do a stator rewind in the future)

JoHS
  17. JRiott

JRiott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LED's take very minimal power. Other than this change, my bike is pretty much stock. I just removed the stock tail light and replaced it with this. If you start adding a lot of electronics you may need the stator rewind as you mentioned.

I'm going to go the minimalist route where I've got just enough to be legal to keep the weight down.

This also reduces the amount of parts I have to replace when I crash my brains out in the dirt. :lol3
  18. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Jriott, just noticed I'm right up the road from you in Cheyenne, about 35 miles, I think I have chatted with you over at thumpertalk.
  19. JRiott

JRiott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have, vmaxcbr900wr426
  20. JRiott

JRiott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's the pictures from the LED install.

LED Installed without Cover.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/s/sjriott_XR650R_Rear.jpg

LED with Running Light

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/s/sjriott_XR650R_Running.jpg

LED with Brake Light.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/s/sjriott_XR650R_brake.jpg

Wiring was simple.

Black on the LED to Green on the XR650R
    Yellow on the LED to Brown on the XR650R
    Red on the LED to the Hydraulic Brake switch
    Other lead from the Hydraulic Brake Switch to Brown on the XR650R