XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. amockalypsenow

amockalypsenow dirtybiker

Oddometer:
    Nice- by chance earlier today I found out that the thermostat housing has a great sensor spot, as you’ve used it. Nice install.

Baja this weekend! Anybody wanna ride down there with me?

Edit: i could just pull the existing housing out but it would be nicer to have the tapped and wired up housing ready to drop in. So I’m looking for a thermostat housing- anybody got one? I can send you my stock one in return.
  2. amockalypsenow

Oddometer:
    Today’s hack...

My right side chain adjuster bolt starts to fight me when I get it 3/4 of the way out... Sad face! I worked it in and with antiseize on it trying to lube things up but no real progress was made. So I drilled a hole in the swing arm to get some pb blaster on the threads. Tapped it and installed an old carb float bowl screw to seal it up.

How long should I let the pb blaster soak in before trying to crank the chain adjuster bolt out?

66294929-7FB7-41D0-8284-10B1DAB4E37B.jpeg EFE2E578-EAE6-4389-9909-21B32317021D.jpeg

Optimistically, I suppose, I already bought new bolts to replace the existing ones.

I was thinking of changing the gearing for
    Baja tomorrow but now I don’t want to sabotage the trip with swingarm drama. Might address it next week.

In other news, I’m looking for a used acerbis or safari tank. Anybody got one for sale?
    theailer likes this.
  3. cragdweller

cragdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, drill and tap the thermostat housing for the temp sensor. That's what I did, works killer.
  4. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone as penetrating fluid. I hear it works better than just about anything else.
  5. Caferaca

Caferaca n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, long time lurker and XR owner from the UK. My bike has been in supermoto trim from almost new, but I have the original wheels brakes etc and am planning to take it to the trans euro trail next year.
    A couple of questions on the brakes if I may. It's got a 320mm Braking disc and master cylinder, and steel braided line for the front ( all stock back). Without spending any money, it seems I've got two options.
    Easiest, put the 320mm disc on the stock 21" and job done. I've heard that's too big for off road maybe?
    2nd option put the stock caliper and 240mm disc back on, with the steel braided line and Braking caliper. Will the line and caliper work well with the stock setup, before I tear it all down? Braided fittings (banjo bolt) the same etc?
    Thanks for any help amigos!

Attached Files:

6. Caferaca

Caferaca n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok I put the big rotor, what do you think, yes or no?

20191026_200227.jpg
  7. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    I have ran that rotor and caliper on my 650 back when I rode a 650 a lot, liked it for my super moto set up. Wound up running the stock caliper with the big rotor for off road and then all the time road or off. I think you could get used to the power of it for both. One finger braking for sure
    Caferaca likes this.
  8. Caferaca

Caferaca n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll try it out when I've got the rest of the bike together, also trying to sort out the rats nest of electrics as well! Now I'm slightly concerned the Braking master cylinder with the bottle on top is no good for off-road. Better not crash I guess ;) Cheers

20191027_094007.jpg
  9. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @amockalypsenow just leave those holes in the swing arm open as drain holes and lube holes. Works a treat, and did the same to my old KTMs
  10. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend a rear rack to hold a 1gal rotopak? I’ve been looking at Manracks, ProMoto (above) and Moose racks. Are these good choices for holding about 10lbs over rough terrain?
  11. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent my GF a text saying I may have a buyer for my XR. She said "I had to read it three times to make sure it didn't say buy another XR."

I got a laugh out of it.
    Gildus, bigkuri and pigjockey like this.
  12. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    The bike is finally in for NZ certification.... It's looking sorted and running well so here's hoping. Still need to redo all those silly 2.8mm bullet connectors with something better - what's the best type of connector to use? I'm thinking waterproof and just using two large pin-blocks instead of all the individual bullet-connectors...

[​IMG]
    Gildus, MikeTheBike1 and Bhart89 like this.
  13. Andreim92

Andreim92 Lost

Oddometer:
    I see there are a lot of offroad trim XR with USD forks. Wasn't this a big discussion with the bike being to stiff and even destroying the frame?
  14. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    Nah, I don't think so.

Like the 30mm increase in travel all round, its a thing of great debate....

It feels great riding it, less feeling of long and slow, more agile, and way more bounce (30mm both ends). And it's reliable, so far. Looking at a modern bike I simply cannot see how this frame is anything but stronger than the modern counterparts ; so I really do think that's just BS.

The forks and PDS rear shock are soft, smooth, and like butter. It's not harsh or stiff at all.
    Gildus, greasyfatman and Andreim92 like this.
  15. Jur1

Jur1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know part number for black Excel (or DID) rims for the XR? Front 1.60 and rear 2.15 (or 2.50) width.

I have spare hubs which I would like to lace up with black rims but I'm having a hard time finding the damn things.

I know one could buy a full set of wheels from Warp 9 but I don't really want to spend that much money when I already have hubs and only need rims and spokes.
  16. Andreim92

Andreim92 Lost

Oddometer:
    Good to know from someone whos actually using it .
  17. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a look here - https://www.easternbeaver.com

JM-2008
    bigkuri likes this.
  18. amockalypsenow

Oddometer:
    Great times in Baja this weekend. I love me a bike that can go 100+ mph and meander around a trials track all in the same weekend. I was too busy enjoying riding the bike in the trials circuit to document things but the bike handled boulders, rock steps, drop offs and steep slab with aplomb and a skid plate that now has a bit more, shall we say, character.
    7A95A127-7E11-4E65-A6F5-AF87287C0430.jpeg 4A2A004E-D957-446F-9CD1-6F76963A5D70.jpeg 66433FA7-C80F-40F6-BFF0-C9E95A1E2AC0.jpeg

Anybody know what tire pressures team honda ran during the baja 1000?

Also, I took my rim locks out because I dualsport this bike, and want the wheels to be balanced but I'm thinking of putting them back so if I'm hauling ass in baja and my tire deflates I don't have it come off the rim... what do you guys think?
    Kawasakirob, Gildus, husky390 and 3 others like this.
  19. teledan

teledan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been wanting to put a 320mm rotor on my XR400 (same wheel as the xr650r) but haven’t found a rotor that fits
    I like Cycle Terminal. Joe is a great guy, very helpful

https://cycleterminal.com/
    Gildus and bigkuri like this.
  20. Skyva

Skyva Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have removed the seat to replace the fuel tank with an new larger one.
    I also have a XR's choke plate to replace the stock choke plate.
    Do I need to remove the carby and what is the best way to access the choke plate? The plastic surround from the airbox to the carby inlet has a lot of screws so it doesn't look easy to remove. Is it best to remove airbox etc?

Rode it on two trails last week, over 200km, had a blast. Took it off a small jump ramp, crashed and broke a brake lever, but the bike is good. Having a blast, just need to get these jobs done and back onto the trails.