XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. FlyGuy

FlyGuy MachineHead

Oddometer:
    That tank to mount fit sucks.

OK lots of good responses but don’t get too concerned, I bet it would work most any way you do it.

But I personally would have the tank weighted on the bolt shank equally on both bolts

In other words the bottom bolt is installed with pressure on the tank pushing down Tighten the bolt till secure.

Now look at how much you need to elongate the top bolt hole just enough to clear the bolt shoulder

With a 1/8 “ carbide cylinder elongate the hole

It appears that is how your picture is oriented now (tank is higher), or if necessary do the same thing using the top bolt first for tank positioning (tank lower)

Now you have both bolts supporting the tank to the downside

Reason is you will 99.9% of the time never reach more than 1G load to the upside on the tank (1G negative) unless you crash.

But if you g out or case it, you might get a 15G load to the positive side

enough overthinking Im going Riding
  2. amockalypsenow

amockalypsenow dirtybiker

Oddometer:
    Pig progress... going back to Baja with a buddy this weekend and loaning him my giant loop so I made a little luggage setup and bent a muffler heat guard using some aluminum and parts in the garage. Chuffed with how it came out. The bags are unused Jslist chemical warfare suit waterproof dry bags, which I have a few of already. https://www.armynavysales.com/acu-nbc-chemical-protection-gear-backpack-bag-bgnbc1-1173.html

B96779DD-ADD3-4FA8-ADCC-D1B23BE3C977.jpeg CCF3A473-6F80-42AD-8E2F-866C2354E84B.jpeg B399AFFE-8C41-4CB6-BB4F-E71164F3AA49.jpeg 654A5762-F254-46B2-86D6-85290AFFC54F.jpeg

I used some old handlebar mounts to attach a very minimalist diy aluminum frame on either side and the holy trinity of paracord, zipties and mechanics wire to keep the bags in order.
    husky390 likes this.
  3. delta21

delta21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody willing to share the Clymer pages for adjusting the valves on a '03 xr650r?
    I'm having a hard time sourcing one locally. I tried to adjust the valves per the internet last night, now it is almost impossible to kick it over

TIA!
  4. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    How certain are you that you were at TDC on compression stroke and not exhaust stroke?
  5. xrsism

xrsism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this what you are after?
    DSC_0136.JPG _20191103_173209.JPG
    Gildus likes this.
  6. delta21

delta21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! Thanks!
  7. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @delta21 , I believe that the Clymer manual is generally regarded as shit. PM me your email and I can send you a PDF of the Honda workshop manual (or google it).
  8. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    Beautiful weekend down-under with summer just starting:

[​IMG]

Took the bike to the beach, a fantastic ride out arranged by @MOTOXNUT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got mine running today. Had to clean out some gunk in the tank but it fired right up with the choke lever all the way down which I assume is off. It will start on the first kick and as a bonus I didn’t have to clean out the carb but did find the choke plate has been upgraded.

First impression, it’s a dog. I was expecting a fire breather that would pull the front wheel in the air with a blip of the throttle. It doesn’t.

Rear tires aren’t going to last long. It has MX tires on it right now and the knobs are already tearing just from some minor hooliganism on asphalt around my house.

I need to replace the chain as it’s shot and the fuel petcock leaks.

Changed the oil too, that’s pretty simple.

I need to dig into this thing further to see if it’s been uncorked.
  10. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had extensive use with the Pro Moto rack. Never with an xr650r, but I've put on several (close to 40k) thousands of miles of singletrak with DRZ's, KLX's and WR's carrying chainsaws and tail bags chalk full of tools on the Pro Moto. They are a phenomenal rack. Obviously you can take trails at speed, just not full speed. Keep in mind the subframe will snap if pushed to hard...just like any rack on any subframe. Ride with discretion, and everything will be fine.

Bottom line is any of those racks will work, but if you want your subframe to last dial it back a bit when carrying weight.
    Gildus and Bhart89 like this.
  11. PimpmasterJ

PimpmasterJ n00b

Oddometer:
    20191105_094459.jpg

So after some deciding I ended up with the T4 system over the XR's only systrm, I'll probably end up at some point contacting the guy who does the megaphones but this will do for now. I also replaced the clutch and throttle cables while I had it apart.

Unfortunately my brake lights and turn signals don't work, at some point I may have drained the little battery behind the headlight a long time ago and killed it. It has an older baja designs kit on it. Should I try replacing the battery?
    bigkuri likes this.
  12. amockalypsenow

amockalypsenow dirtybiker

Oddometer:
    If you’ve trashed the battery at some point only thing you can do is replace it. You can find equivalent batteries online if you are handy enough to make the connections- if not you can get a rePlacement from Baja Designs. If you regularly ride/charge it should last a long time.
  13. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well crap. Went to change the tube on the front wheel and found the rim is cracked. Glad I found it now rather than riding on the road. Just means I’ll be riding my YZ this weekend instead. Hopefully Woody’s can fix it.

IMG_1913.jpg
  14. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    The problem with this great thread is it's so long sometimes a search for information just returns overwhelming (and dated) results... So apologies if these questions have been covered before!

Since the new engine and bike "rebuild" (CRF forks, Lectron carb etc. - pics a few posts above) I've now done 1,000km of mixed riding. It's simply beautiful to ride both on and off-road, but I am considering a few changes:

- What's the current consensus on medium sized clear tanks? I have the Acerbis 26l one, which was awesome when riding around in the Sahara, but in NZ it's a bit overkill, and I'd love a slightly narrower tank, in particular a clear one to easily see fuel level. I figure 16 to 18l is the sweetspot of size, but varying reviews of both clark and other options...?

- My handguards are some old Cycra Probends that I've had on maybe 4 different bikes and have seen better days... I need indicators in NZ, so I was thinking of integrated blinkers in Zeta guards, any views on these?

- The Lectron has taken some dialing in to get right. It's almost there, I think another 1/4 turn leaner on the needle. How do you tell when she's too lean? It splutters and hesitates a little from 4k revs to 6k revs, hence I think it's too rich in the mid-range...?

- I am running the airbox with an open cover (a large hole with mesh behind it) that someone else made. I'm a little concerned about water ingress... Any views?

- I've always loved the idea of a little more oil, as well as an oil-cooler. I knew you could get a curved oil-cooler from an old XR (XR500?) that fitted behind the light around the headstock, but they are impossible to find now. Any ideas? Or is it just a waste of time...?

Thank you!
  15. teledan

teledan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’re probably thinking of the XR400 oil cooler.
    bigkuri likes this.
  16. Jur1

Jur1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a hole and a rubber nipple on the airbox side cover which should let water out. Of course water still might seep between the filter and airbox, I put a little bit of grease on the filter and airbox mating surface to keep this from happening.

I don't think an oil cooler is necessary on a water cooler engine.
    bigkuri likes this.
  17. xrsism

xrsism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Zeta bars on the bike. No indicators/handguards however to comment on. I like them, solid mounts on the bars. Took a decent hit and held up well.

20180630_205730_zps53lsjrj0.jpg
    Gildus and bigkuri like this.
  18. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Droppong this here.

Parr Motorcycles ( https://www.facebook.com/parrmotorcycles/ ) is doing up a XR650R. Just a guy building in his spare time, but his attention to details on the two DR650's that he did was amazing. Should be a cool looking outcome.

The bikes on either side of the Honda atre current generalization DR650s. They are all over Pipeburn, RideApart, BikeBound, etc.
    FB_IMG_1573038659120.jpg

And where he's at on the 650R. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but should look very well sorted once done, based on his previous work.
    FB_IMG_1573038700114.jpg

Now back to your normal 650R stories and questions.
    Gildus likes this.
  19. Gildus

Gildus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the Zeta bars as well, with the handguard w built-in signals. They took a pretty good hit a while back...scratched up the plastic handguard but signals still work perfectly
    bigkuri likes this.
  20. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    Thanks All :)

I'll give the Zeta's a go... :)