XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Mexicali

Mexicali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I live about 50 miles from Yuma, AZ, and it sometimes gets up to 120 degrees in the summer. Yesterday it was 88 degrees. On the Pacific side of Baja it is usually mid 80s during the summer.
  2. Jur1

Jur1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is optimal temp for oil too. Too cool and it won't burn off contaminants and cold oil also has more friction which can lead to premature bearing wear (and makes less power). Likewise too hot and the oil will start to break down and you can lose oil pressure. I think modern synthetic oils can handle pretty high temps before breaking down though.

I would probably monitor oil temps first to see if they are too high and if the oil needs to be cooled. I know the climate here where I live is so cool that there's no need for an oil cooler but YMMV. 120f sounds pretty dang hot!
    Mexicali likes this.
  3. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's also oil volume and service interval. For those of us that run dual sport it'd be nice to have more oil circulating... It's way down on my to-do list though.

On another topic, I've found that a properly dialed in Lectron is amazing. What a change from the TM40. Great upgrade.
    Mexicali and Gildus like this.
  4. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Not trying to give a hard time. I've been running a big bore air cooled dry sump in the desert without issue, and an excited to see liquid cooling and an aluminum frame on this bike as is!
    Fair enough. I'm in Tucson, and you guys definitely get more heat than we do. 80s here all the time right now. Didn't occur to me that Baja is probably cooler due to the coast.
    I do like the idea of more oil in general.
    Mexicali and bigkuri like this.
  5. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Killer deal, this may be what pushes me over into the Lectron world. But is my well used Edelbrock worth $200 ? lol

Ive been using either Rotella T4 or T5 exclusively for years with great results. My engine was quieter when I used 20w-50 once or twice but hard to go wrong with the Rotella Offerings.
    Single track, High speed desert, LONG climbs from sea level to 6,000 ft. I try to manage my water temps but no doubt the oil takes a beating. I'll usually do 1,000 mile oil changes with 95% of riding in dirt.
    pigjockey and Gildus like this.
  6. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. Friedom

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy with an old beat up useless carb he's giving me so I can use it for the trade up.
    The ad very clearly states, "any carb". I don't want my brp to be down for weeks while waiting for shipping!
    Davethestick likes this.
  8. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what they said...when I saw the wording I thought hmm, what about those cheap $20 chinese carbs on amazon...that might be pushing it a bit though :lol3
    Davethestick likes this.
  9. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Is it? I think it's a clever marketing tool, not an attempt to garner value out of used carbs.
  10. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, is it worth me buying a junk carb from Craigslist or Amazon to upgrade my stock carb to a Lectron?
  11. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I didn't already have a Lectron, that's what I'd do.
    hockeyrick, husky390 and bigkuri like this.
  12. amockalypsenow

amockalypsenow dirtybiker

Oddometer:
    What makes the lectron better than my hs40?
  13. amockalypsenow

amockalypsenow dirtybiker

Oddometer:
    Anybody wanna trade your stage 1 hot cam or HRC for my stage 2 hot cam?

Also, looking for a bargain 11:1 compression piston in stock bore, because I don’t quite destroy rear tires fast enough.
  14. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dialed-in TM40 sits on the shelf next to my old stocker. The TM is a solid carb but I was spending way too much time fiddling with it, often changing jets trailside at higher elevations.

That may sound picky, but I've put a lot of work into the motor and can't stand it when it's not running right. I like the bike to respond the same way everytime I grab some throttle.

Before the TM40 I ran an Edelbrock and have worked on other XRs with FCRs...IMO the Lectron is the closest thing to fuel injection without the downsides of EFI (complexity, drain on stator, etc.).

This is mainly due to the metering rod design that keeps the carb in tune despite altitude and atmospheric changes, a nice feature anywhere but especially good for long, adventure style trips.

Great throttle response without a pump, linear power, great fuel mileage, small and light...the only downside I can think of is the price.
  15. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Which just went down $200.

I'll be ordering shortly..
    greasyfatman likes this.
  16. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm stoked for the winter, but man do I miss summer .

20190907_105455.jpg
    NMTrailboss, xrsism, Gildus and 2 others like this.
  17. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fasst Company just posted their Black Friday sale, 20% off everything.

I run their Flexx bars and they're the bomb, especially if you've got bad wrists, want to kill some vibration, or just want a smoother ride. The problem is they're pricey so 20% off really helps.

It's the only time of year I've seen them do discounts.

https://www.fasstco.com/
    pigjockey likes this.
  18. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t need to know this.
    hockeyrick likes this.
  19. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for those who ride Colorado Mountain passes such as the Alpine loop, etc.

What gear are you wearing? MX? Aerostitch? Klim Badlands? If MX, what do you use for rain gear?
  20. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    Really? All the tech articles that have been written?