1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    When I lived in Thailand, I added a rear HyperPro spring for my weight plus riding gear and anything else I might carry, also changed springs in my forks for my CRF250L-it had '97 CR forks, did not change any height at all, but cut my rear link by 1/2 inch to raise it for more travel, oddly, by changing the linkage geometry I felt it made the rear much better and added 1.25 to the height/travel, I wanted mx suspension. Am a firm believer in progressive springs, I used the L for traveling all over Thai in all sorts of terrain, just saying...
  2. Mike944

Mike944 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a hard time getting the bike to shift into third, like a real hard time? resolution? cost...
  3. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Change your oil 1st ...
    Mike944 and pigjockey like this.
  4. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cpt. Ron posted some good info a while back...worth a try.

upload_2019-12-4_17-14-49.png
    Mike944 likes this.
  5. MAUROLUCA

MAUROLUCA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a photo to see how it is mounted on the bike? it's on sale?
  6. Dominatoras

Dominatoras Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm doing a top end rebuild and I need intake and exhaust valves.Are aftermarket (vesrah or similar) valves good for 650R or I must stay to OEM which are too expensive (especially Exhaust valve).
    If yes does anyone knows where to search in Europe for aftermarket?
  7. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never installed it so don't have any mounted pictures. Shouldn't be hard to install and hookup though.

I bought it in case I went to a rally setup, and because it was an original team unit built for the bike.

I'd consider selling it...you can PM me if interested.
  8. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    Hey guys-have the parts for a C-Fab estart that I just took off(really could not get it to work properly and has 0 miles on it) if anyone is interested. $300 but you pay shipping. Pm me and will have pics to show what I have-sorry, painted the aluminum red, but easy to clean up!

Attached Files:

9. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a helluva deal.
  10. cragdweller

cragdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody find an exhaust plug for bike washing that will work on the large diameter (2.25") race reverse megaphone pipes? Everything I can find online seems to be too small...
  11. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2.5" baffle core and haven't seen anything commercially that'll fit. I use a Pro Circuit tip that narrows things down a bit & their largest plug barely fits in that.

You might have to look for something in the non-motorcycle market or make your own.

upload_2019-12-15_13-53-3.png
  12. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dibs, sent you a pm.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  13. ridesmoothfast

ridesmoothfast Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running a 14/46 sprocket set-up? Whats your comfy cruise speed?
  14. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stock is 14/48, so a 14/46 would be 'almost' like a 15/48 that I've run. That would be a very good gearing if you are doing mostly two track, desert and pavement. Flowing, fast single track would be ok, but you'll notice a hole between 1st and 2nd.
    I kept the 48 rear and just swapped between a 14 and a 15 front. Easy to swap.

Lots of discussion here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/xr650r-gearing-for-dual-sport-use.364728/
    Gildus and ridesmoothfast like this.
  15. ridesmoothfast

ridesmoothfast Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like it. Was reading that page previously but wanted to double check. There is a good possibility I can get a good chunk of time off work and have been researching a bunch on the dempster hwy. It would be a hell of a ride on the XR from Colorado to the Arctic but what the heck. Currently running the stock 14/48 set up now but do not want to mess with the front sprocket set-up. But if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.
  16. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd just throw on a 15th and see how you like it. 'Messing' with the front sprocket is easy, you can do it on the road. Be sure to put some moly-grease on the splines.
    ridesmoothfast likes this.
  17. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Is that a thing? I just replaced my chain and sprockets.
  18. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    15 tooth sprocket is a thing.
    Moly grease is a thing.
    Messing is not a thing.
    Friedom and theailer like this.
  19. turbo_bird

turbo_bird I'd rather be riding.

Oddometer:
    I ordered new sprockets for a trip on mine 12 years ago that showed up too late, so I rode around 2500 kms of highway with the stock gearing. It actually wasn't bad, cruised around 120km/h (GPS) pretty easily. I had planned to go 15/45, still haven't put them on. This summer I went to 13/49 for technical single track, might go back to stock or finally try the 15 front for dual sport use if I insure it again next summer and use it for commuting to work, 40 miles per day.
    Kristian
    theailer likes this.
  20. Jur1

Jur1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the grease suggested? I just swapped my chain and sprockets the other day and I tried to look in the shop manuel if it had any mention of greasing the splines but didn't find anything.

I went with 14/45 again. It gives me top speed of about 160kph (100mph) which is plenty for me. I have 110 chain length which allows to also use 48 tooth rear sprocket or something in between those.