XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. GSXR

GSXR Trail Rider

Oddometer:
    Damn. Not quantifiable....

OK. so WAY more delivery and feel, but not necessarily power?

Does anybody have a back to back dyno sheet to help me out please?
  2. Worrey

Worrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can tell you that mine with the fcr is incredibly easy to start, makes buckets of power and has great throttle response.
    Hot start lever is also a great add-on.
  3. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve got an fcr41 mm waiting in the wings for mine when I get to that phase. You’re running the stock crf cables? What filter? Wondering where to find concise info on the swap to read up to prepare.
  4. Worrey

Worrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 40mm but I think the principle is the same. Hiflofiltro filter, 3d printed adapter (from eBay) for intake with silicone sealant, crf cables and throttle with the pointy nib cut off. Aftermarket hotstart lever that replaces the front brake fixing plate.

I think my jets are currently 48 and 172 for 17c and 300ft altitude. You can change the jets just about without removing the carb if you know your way around.

I think I'd probably get more from a ported side panel and a higher spec can.. but I'm more than happy as it is.

I had to modify the tanks with a heat gun to get them on.

Very snappy response, clean and strong pulling, I think I get about 45mpg from mixed riding. Couldn't be happier.
  5. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    I'm in agreement with you here. Not from experience, just from what I've read - the fcr seems to have the most power delivery when tuned and executed properly.
    *however*

That linear and instant power delivery on the Lectron is sooooo satisfying.
    I've seen some back to back dyno results with the lectron and fcr. It's been awhile though, I'll post up if I find it again.
    GSXR, TroopThrowback and Guano11 like this.
  6. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Is there a consensus on which carb is best, or is this another "oil" topic? Serious question....

I now have an XR650R that's worth putting Lectron money into and I like the theory, but it seems there are differing opinions on just how good it really is. And by "good", I'm looking for decent starting, steady idle, crisp & linear throttle. The bike makes more power that I can use as a dual sport (no Baja running for this guy....). Plus, I really need a carb that's set up right out of the box. Videos like this scare the crap outta me!

New to the BRP and this is the only forum I frequent, so thanks for tolerating the noob Q's, fellas. :ear
  7. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the stock carb will handle your needs just fine. Lectron is great. If you're covering wide altitude ranges it's even better. Linear power delivery is smooth and crisp off the line.
    I've heard that really good tuners can get more power out of an fcr.
    I'm tired of wrenching though, so the simplicity, versatility and delivery of the Lectron makes me happy.
    Guano11 likes this.
  8. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    I have been running the stock carb since day one and even have 2 spare carbs as back up. I guess it depends on what you want. I have never experienced any starting issues in the last 17 years 1-2-3 kicks it starts. I have ridden from the desert floor to about 9K in the mountains of Idaho. I would say that my bike has been dialed in for years. Sometimes in a get off it can be a little finicky but with the starting routine down usually you can get it to light. Only singed my air cleaner once while riding in Moab tackling a step up that I did not clear. Glad to see new riders to the XR650R

Guano11, are you still having starting issues???
  9. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    I love my quick silver carbs. :deal
    Desertskyy and Guano11 like this.
  10. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your notes on your FCR 40 swap. I hadn’t seen any 3-d print manifold adapters. Only the nice alloy ones $$$. I have the opened airbox mod with a white bro’s E series. Otherwise stock motor setup 175/65S jets on the stock carb. Starts right up but pops on low rpm decel. May throw in a 68s but only if I don’t run do the fcr swap. It produces all the power I need or want, as is, but I do enjoy carb swaps for some reason (I run keihins on my yamaha XS650 and LOVE that swap).
  11. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Onto my electrical demons (lights not working). I plan on replacing the 2011+ Baja Designs slim handlebar switch. I like it, just don’t trust that it’s working besides the little blue high beam indicator. What does everyone recommend since it looks like BD no longer sells them? The tusk switch looks similar, but doesn’t have the hi/Lo and hi beam indicator. Something that’s plug and play for my BD Dual sport harness would be preferred.

Thanks everyone.
  12. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    ^^ One minor edit and you've described my thoughts exactly. :lol3
    Agree the stock carb is adequate (hard starting notwithstanding), but the thought of a Big Single with easy starting & crisp carburetion throughout the rev range is very attractive.
    But like I said, it pretty much has to be notably better than stock and work right out of the box.
  13. Worrey

Worrey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://www.allgeyerperformance.com/shop/keihin-fcr-adapter-spigot-for-xr650-xr650l-app-1003-1
  14. firsthere

firsthere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are on all 3 of my bikes and super reliable. Probably not plug and play with the BD wiring but easy to figure out. I use the horn button circuit as the kill switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handlebar-...rand=Unbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Attached Files:

15. ridesmoothfast

ridesmoothfast Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After a busy summer, I finally got around to cleaning the aluminum out of the clutch area.

After a cleaning and 10 oil changes the bike was ready to put some mileage on. I took it out for a quick spin on a local singletrak, damn did it feel great to ride it again.

Less than 15 seconds after the singletrak, the front brake lever went limp. Turned out my front rotor cut the front brake line which happened to be a brand new Galfer braided line.

Back to the drawing board, its hard to get upset because if it happened a minute earlier on that fast singletrack, I would have been in a world of pain. Heres to 2021 :beer
  16. ridesmoothfast

Oddometer:
    Also glad the brand new Warp 9's lasted a whole 3mo of riding time before getting the first ding

20201011_115056.jpg
    Dwieland54 and Davethestick like this.
  17. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven’t run the valve lock but on any of my off road bikes in four decades.
    Have seen a number of valves torn out of the tube when there’s a slow leak.
    Likely not an issue if you carry a spare tube but a torn valve/tube renders the tube useless and it can’t be repaired in the middle of nowhere with a patch to keep you going.
    To make tyre/tube changes easier I carry a valve extender (readily available at an auto parts store) and will drill out the valve hole in my rim to ensure available space for the valve to move/lean over if the tyre is slipping on the rim - OEM Honda rims have fairly large valve holes also.
    Ensure the hole is large enough for valve extender to fit through, I fit the tube inside my tyre before offering it up to the wheel - it makes tyre changes a lot easier when you get the hang of it and saves your knuckles!
    My 2c worth.

JM-2008

p.s. Re new rims - amazing how often a new rim only stays round for one ride!
    bigkuri, DKCJ, Friedom and 1 other person like this.
  18. ridesmoothfast

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I've ran them on every bike I've owned without an issue. Including 8yrs on government provided DRZ's, KLX's and WR's which would rack up close to 3,000mi of singletrak on the rowdiest terrain in the state of CO each season clearing trail. Never had one tear out. The tube in that tire is also the same one thats been in there 3 tire changes ago. I run extra fat hd tubes so tire changes are a pain no matter what, especially for fat fingered people like me. To each there own.
  19. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Troopthrowback thanks for the reply.
  20. ridesmoothfast

Oddometer:
    I mean seriously, why wouldn't you want your valve stem locked? Its a second locking point on top of the rim lock. If your tube is moving around that much in your wheel, you got bigger problems to diagnose

New tubes do not come with two nuts just so you can throw one of them in the trash.....or both of them....:bash

I've been pissing in my fuel tank for the last 60yrs, it adds incredible fuel mileage.