XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. ridesmoothfast

ridesmoothfast Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hate to say it but you've been doing it wrong for four decades. @jm-2008
  2. Dwieland54

Dwieland54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just put my Lectron on today. Haven't gotten it fully tuned yet, but defeated my hanging idle problem. Seems like a hair less low end power, but that might just be that it is a smoother on off. Definitely smoother all around, and felt like more mid range power.
    Davethestick and hockeyrick like this.
  3. Dwieland54

Dwieland54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll let you know how my tuning goes. Popped the carb on and put the new throttle assembly together and it started right up. Idle is at like 1050-1100 so ill have to tune it as its just a little to low and will occasionally stall out. Should have an update on the tuning tomorrow.
    hockeyrick and Guano11 like this.
  4. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was working on a bike today that didn’t idle right it was plugged up vent hose. Meant to say something.
  5. Dwieland54

Dwieland54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries I've been eyeing the lectron since before I was worries about the idle. I fall over a lot and kicking a flooded bike was killing my sloppy knee, and I was really attracted to not having to switch jets I ride at all kinds of elevations.

I just wanted to get the bike running good before I pulled the trigger on it, and it was running great outside of the hanging idle so I just crossed my fingers that it would fix it, since I wanted its additional benefits.
    Davethestick and hockeyrick like this.
  6. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
  8. Frostguiding

Frostguiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting a bit wintery here (no surprise). Bike starts much better with valves adjusted (no surprise) All clearances were pretty tight before. Mitas E09 rear was quite lively in a mix of thin snow on mud and wet grass.
    20201012_150028.jpg 20201012_150824.jpg
  9. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Lots of progress for me today. Seat concepts foam and cover, risk seat heater, and a usb charger/voltage indicator all done. I’ll be looking for a bigger battery soon for sure!

Who was the guy making the sexy mount above the transmission a little while back?

Now for an afternoon scoot in the hills. IMG_2482.jpg
    Dwieland54 likes this.
  10. Dwieland54

Dwieland54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, so tuning a Lectron update. I spent like 20 minutes on it, then gave up on getting it perfect since I hauled the bike into the mountains and just wanted to ride. Rode great, but sometimes would idle at 1300 and sometimes at like 1000. When it's at 1000 it can occasionally die. It died twice in a three hour ride while doing long, clutch in downhills. Outside of the idle being occasionally low the bike ran really well. Most of it was slower mountain stuff, with some gnarly rock gardens thrown in. I don't think I got over 45 more than once the whole day. One of the complaints I heard about the Lectron was that it didn't perform well in low rpm/slower moving technical stuff. I have to completely disagree. I found it super smooth and easier control than the stock carb at low RPM.
    Guano11 likes this.
  11. theailer

theailer xr650r 2002

Oddometer:
    I'm on @jm-2008 side on this topic. Have seen guys ripping the valves a couple of times , though in their "defense" they did not use a rim lock ;)
  12. ridesmoothfast

Oddometer:
    Jeebus :baldy

Somebody needs to take their meds and realize an xr650r has Rim locks.
  13. ridesmoothfast

Oddometer:
    Did we just flash back to the 1940's or something?

Because it would be a sad day if somebody took his advice to heart. Maybe not sad.....funny. Yeah it would be funny

People even liked his post...... :fpalm
  14. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    I run mine around 1300-1400 rpm with great results, but Lectron does suggest running it around 1700 IIRC.
  15. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    I just went through and tested every wire in the “front wiring harness” from my old Baja Designs dual sport kit. Only one pair of wires yields 12v dc (I can get up to 13.0v while idling) but it’s only pushing 0.6amps at idle. Not enough to light my eBay led fog lights beyond the dimmest of glow (18watt). Not enough to light my squadron sport headlight.

I guess maybe the stories are right about the handgrip switch being the key to any power up front on these kits. Anybody else want to weigh in?
  16. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Maybe mate the voltage at the connections under the seat and see if they match..?
  17. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    I tore a Michelin ultra hd tube clean in half while using the rim lock and valve stem nut. Now I just put two nuts high up on the valve stem because I lost the stem in the tire due to 6 lbs psi and 100 mph centrifugal force. Took forever to remove the tire w/o stabbing the tube to deflate it. But a loose stem makes a great flat tire indicated if the nuts are touching the rim when stopped. If I run more than 6 psi my front just wants to washout too easily with my 606s
    theailer likes this.
  18. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Bruh
    100mph on a 6 psi d606?
    There's something to be said for the right tool for the job.
    I run with my locknut further out on the stem locked to the valve stem cap and a rimlock.
  19. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    I have learned to inflate the front more if I’m going to blast some fast wheelies on the pavement. If I don’t my tube slips in the tire on landing every time Other than that we mount our tires the same.
  20. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciate your fedback KR, always good to hear about other people’s experience.
    One of the enjoyable aspects of this and other threads is people’s willingness to share information (often gained from experience/inconvenience/cost) in the hope that it may help others avoid similar situations.
    There’s no one answer to all situations (tyres and oils are one thing that come to mind) and I do agree heavy duty tubes were a quantum leap towards minimizing pinch flats however they do still happen.
    My practice evolved from observation in our conditions so it’s served me well as an indicator for the tube moving before any damage occurs.
    OEM Honda rims have significantly oversize holes for the valve stem with no nut and a rubber cap over the top to keep out dirt.
    They must have had a reason to spec larger holes for the valve stem as opposed to the rim lock hole - who knows but that’s how they are supplied by the factory.
    I don’t have many issues with the rear but my front tube (the tyre never seems to move) does move and as stated earlier a leaning valve is a good indicator, caused most likely by circumstances - tyres/pressure/conditions?
    If you have the nuts locked up the valve won’t move and you’re non the wiser if the tube is trying to move especially with a slow leak - either way I’d rather have some indication than none at all.
    Everyone’s experience is different, I take on board what works for me and try not to stress about the rest.
    Pleased to hear you haven’t experienced any issues to date.
    And yes I do run rim locks on both wheels.
    Hope you are all in a safe place during these strange times (we are still in stage four lockdown here in southern OZ)
    Regards,

JM-2008
    DKCJ, Frostguiding, pigjockey and 2 others like this.