XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    My frong Honda rim has a great big rubber grommet thing that fits around the valve and inside the oversize opening. It's a little tricky to wiggle in there and keep seated properly.
    Do others not have this?
  2. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Didn’t think it needed to be ‘in’ the hole, mine sit over the hole.
    Same with my 1988 XR600 all those years ago.
    Don’t think it’s really necessary except to stop rubble getting in there.
    JM-2008
  3. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, here is one of theee best bike(ADV/dualsport) movies. This is how Mexico was when I was in HS '67-, today, not even close! Then I was a Baja guy.
    Money refunded if not completely satisfied

DKCJ and luftkoph like this.
  4. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait are you in the movie? I saw this first maybe ten years ago. It’s the best!
    DKCJ and hockeyrick like this.
  5. ridesmoothfast

ridesmoothfast Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely strange times. There's more tension now than I've ever experienced. People are backing hardened criminals all in the name of race. And Covid. I've never had a problem with the valve stems tearing, and if one happens to leak id have to consider how old the tube is in the first place. The nuts are a second 'lock' on top of the rim lock, and on a bike like the xr650r its a good thing. To me, it sounded like more of an extra unwarranted step your taking especially if you have experienced the tube moving around. I ride pretty hard and have never experienced it and maybe your riding just a bit harder I dont know. Lots of good riders from the land down under. Where women glow and men plunder.... I can hear I can hear the thunder
  6. cragdweller

cragdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somewhere in this thread I posted my jetting for my FCR40MX. Carb came from an '06 CRF450R and yes I'm using the stock cables and throttle from that same bike. Cables are long enough for submount top clamp and tall bars if you route the cables correctly. Uni or TwinAir rotated. Running the NOSS adapter epoxied to the carb bell. Big difference in throttle response and outright power. Take your time with a heat gun and various rounded hammer handles, etc. to mold the tank to clear the upper right side of the carb. It's not that hard, just heat the plastic slowly and evenly and make sure all the gas vapors have been purged from the tank first.

http://nossmachine.com/fcr-carb-adapter-long/
  7. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. I have the fcr cables but will need to find myself a throttle then. I’ll search your posts here for the details. I run a Clarke 4.3 tank and have an acerbis Sahara 6.3 in the wings. I’ve heard I may not need to heat gun my tank for fitment but not getting my hopes up.

Ive been absolutely loving this thing. Just need to get my lights sorted and dial some little things.

Adjustments.jpg
    bigkuri, DKCJ and pigjockey like this.
  8. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Good day for a ride. Rode it back to back with my gasgas 300. Suuuuuuch different machines. 20201017_090957.jpg
    View attachment 2604340
  9. Davethestick

Davethestick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friedom likes this.
  10. XRPOWER

XRPOWER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. XRPOWER

XRPOWER Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The xrr nr 19 ever made. Prototype 1999 mod,only 30 km on the clock.what say the pepol here a bout walue?
    pigjockey, Davethestick and Tritwin like this.
  12. hockeyrick

hockeyrick Hockeyrick

Oddometer:
    that's nice and clean, man those are big turn signals!
  13. Friedom

Oddometer:
    This was supposed to be included. The xrr is like a race horse. The gas gas is more like a gazelle.i hated it as soon as I got on it, then fell in love as soon as I got into anything technical.
    20201017_084359.jpg
    bigkuri and DKCJ like this.
  14. turbo_bird

turbo_bird I'd rather be riding.

Oddometer:
    That's about like me, my other bike is a yz250. So light and nimble compared to the xr, but it's not nearly as stable when you crank it up over rough ground. I find myself really liking the yz on single track, and the xr sits in the garage a lot more than it used to.
    Kristian
    Friedom likes this.
  15. Frostguiding

Frostguiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What? XR650R thread has slipped to the third page!
    Meanwhile, making the most of autumn and hoping it doesn't snow...
    Bought some second-hand Alpinestar Tech 7s - brilliant. I'm still on the original, tiny footpegs but the Tech 7s are stiff enough to stand up in comfort.
    Still loving the XR, not so much the Mitas E09 on the back. Trying to sneak quietly round an Alpine valley with the HRC exhaust and a tire that spins on anything that isn't bone dry...
    20201021_153827.jpg 20201021_160522.jpg
  16. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous pics. I’ve never had any good boots, so I did a similar thing myself this year. Treated myself to a lightly used pair of tech10s. I had to adjust my foot controls to be able to use them properly, but the difference in support is pretty confidence building. That little bootie isn’t as annoying as I’d imagined, and being a crusty infantryman I appreciate the ability to air them out immediately.

I’m taking the rare opportunity to take the wife on a little trip to baja. My first in 20 years (and first without a party destination) She agreed I should bring the XRR! Major win since I just got it running reliably.

An older buddy gave me the hitch carrier he built for trips he started taking there about the time I stopped. He graduated to a dirt bike trailer.

Should be a great time and upon our return I can attack the two projects I just picked up last week. (Pictured)

IMG_2579.jpg
    bigkuri, theailer, DKCJ and 4 others like this.
  17. Frostguiding

Frostguiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have mountains...but you have Tech 10s, Baja, a trailer and 2 XRs!
    I was in Alpinestars Corozal boots - they're great (and waterproof) but too soft for standing on tiny XR pegs...and the occasional dab. Off-road needs big boots, I'm a convert. I'm a crusty mountain guide - all my boots smell!
  18. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Baja is a 10 hour drive for me, because I have mountains, too! I’m in the Sierra Nevadas. And I now have three XRRs!

IMG_2498.jpg
    bigkuri, theailer, pigjockey and 2 others like this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

Dang Troop ,
    You kinda greedy with them pigs I see .
    Whadup with that ? lol

big
    DKCJ, Frostguiding and pigjockey like this.
  20. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    I have three sons, the oldest is only 15 but is 3” taller than I. He will be on one very soon. His brothers are only a few years behind him. Add to that the fact that these aren’t made anymore and you’ve got a recipe for a collection!
    DKCJ, Frostguiding, thebigman and 2 others like this.