XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. James1967

James1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a "in-perfect-condition" stock KLR 650. It is a 2012 with less than 2,000 miles on it. I consider it to be an equal to a Honda stock XL650L. My KLR650 in "no-way" compares to my XR650R except in top-speed. My KLR can't even pop a more-throttle-only wheelie in any gear.

Makael, please tell me if you are saying your upgraded XR650L can run against your XR650R in any other way than top speed and better gas mileage. I ask because I'll be selling my KLR as I feel it does not offer me anything my XR650R can't do better. So your answer is very important to me because I do want to have a second street legal motorcycle so friends who don't have their own can go riding with me. I would like the spare bike to have a magic start button, get good gas mileage and be able to ride on the dirt too along side my XR650R as a near equal. If you are saying your XR650L can hang with your XR650R and I'm saying my KLR can not hang with my XR650R then it is obvious that I need to sell the KLR650 and get a Honda XR650L Do you or anyone else have any solid opinions about this?
  2. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    Interesting dilemma,

Not sure you are going to exactly find what you are looking for in a buddy bike that will hang with a 650R except a KTM or similar. The XR650L could be a good choice but there are a lot of other options out there. I also have a DRZ 400s. It can pretty much go anywhere my 650R can go but maybe not as fast. Currently it is set up as my adventure bike. It sure does not track like my 650R nor has the throttle response and torque as a 650R
    My DRZ gets about 50 miles per gallon. it is a good solid bike but not a 650R. For a buddy bike and a spare bike it is a good choice for me. I also added a kick starter to mine.

Good luck with your decision.
  3. Makael

Makael Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today's weather

Honest answer, the 650L is a great goat. The thing tractors thru the nastiest in 2nd gear. At 54 years old, riding with my hair on fire days are over. But I do enjoy roosting my boys everytime. I dont have alot of time yet on the 650R. After jetting, carb cleaning, fixing the thermostat etc. This bike has insane throttle response, in not sure if that is normal for this bike to be so responsive and dare I say explosive. I used the Dynojet needle with the factory jetting. I think it was right around 175 main. When I got the bike the spark plug was absolutely black and one range hotter than recommended. The guy didn't realize his thermostat was stuck open.

Anyway. I dig the KLR for what it was intended for. I can realize the 650L with a seat concepts saddle could out perform the KLR. At least I think so. I prefer a little more dirt capability that street ability.

650R, I love what I've seen so far on a short relationship. More to come when the mountains above Priest River ID lose their snow pack.
    pigjockey likes this.
  4. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Did I ever mention I love my XRR’s?

Hell yeah I did!!

:kat
    greasyfatman and Frostguiding like this.
  5. James1967

James1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All of my earliest riding was done on Honda either a Honda XR or a Honda XL. I had moved on too Honda Interceptors back in my 20's. After almost getting killed several times riding my last Interceptor, I decided to get off the road. I sold it and got a Honda CR250. I should say I inherited it. I am not fond of the loud and unforgiving 2-strokes. I sold it and determined I wanted to street legally ride my next motorcycle to the trails where I could ride safely off-road as well. That is when I decided to get a 4-stroke, street legal, dirt bike.

My initial thought was to find a 80's model Honda XL500 but could not find one. Then I started to understand the XL line had morphed into XR-R and XR-L. I did not understand the difference and thought I wanted the XR-L since it was most like an old Honda XL. Again, I could not seem to find any for a fair price. I also slowly determined that I thought the Suzuki DR would best fit my needs if I could not get a Honda. I could not find a decent one of those either 3 years ago. I finally went with the KLR I bought because it was so cheap for being basically brand new. It was a 2012 that at the time was only 5 years old and was in perfect condition besides having a lowering bone on it and a dirty carb for only $3500 and had only something like 600 miles on the engine. I raised it back up, and did a great carb job on it and now it is perfect. At some point just recently, I found out the XR-R is lighter and more powerful and possibly made street legal. I test road one and while doing about 40 miles in 2nd or 3rd gear I gassed her and she popped a wheelie scaring the crap out of me. I had never had a bike be able to do that just because I turned the throttle. Not even my brand new CR250 came close. I bought that very pig!

I'm going through it slowly making sure everything is in good working order and adjusted to meet my needs. I really look forward to riding around through my neighborhood and riding the trails on the outer skirts of my neighborhood. I have a buddy who rides a KX and another who rides a bad to the bone CRF450. The fun is about to begin. It is hard to explain but this bike has already changed my life and I love it! Now, I look forward to people approaching me to tell me how they used to have one and hate themselves for ever getting rid of it. I will likely put an electric starter on this one eventually to really make them regret getting rid of their pig because it didn't have one! Muhahahaha! I love my pig!
    Bhart89 and pigjockey like this.
  6. ridesmoothfast

ridesmoothfast Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Missing Utah

Screenshot_20200329-160240_Photos.jpg

20200401_170212.jpg

20200401_140533.jpg
  7. James1967

James1967 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I miss it too now and I have never even been there before. Wow! That is awesome!
    pigjockey and ridesmoothfast like this.
  8. ridesmoothfast

ridesmoothfast Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Swing Arm City! Just outside Caineville near Goblin Valley. Cathedral Valley is a very nice ds loop.
    Gildus and pigjockey like this.
  9. Forzavale

Forzavale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I just got my new warp9 rear wheel with cush hub but the spacers must be wrong. The wheel axle wont even go through the spacers...
    Does warp9 have the right spacers so the cush hub will fit and the chain is aligned and with the rotor at the right place compared to the caliper?
  10. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but if the axle doesn't fit the inside diameter then it sounds like the right spacers is the wrong question.
  11. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to go back and forth with warp 9 two times to get the right spacers for my Cush hub. Finally got them right but they still aren’t perfect. I have to use a flat headed screwdriver to pry my swing arm enough to get the wheel back on. Once on it’s awesome. 2A83130C-0EEA-4C52-AAF1-8919E478568F.jpeg
  12. Forzavale

Forzavale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Since I live in Sweden maby it is easier to make some new spacers instead of order new ones with the risk that it is wrong again..
    I will have to ask warp9 before I make a decision.
  13. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Warp 9 does have the right spacers but you wouldn't know it from what they send out...not sure what their problem is.

I have a bin of incorrect spacers and bearings I got from them over several months of trial and error...eventually I just made some out of 7075 bar stock. They're using 6061 ...7075 is a bit pricier but a lot stronger and nicer to machine.

I also replaced the heavy steel inner spacer on the sprocket side with 7075. Kevin (the guy to talk to) at Warp 9 told me they went to steel to prevent problems when people overtorqued their wheel nuts. I check it now and then for wear but no issues so far.

Outer spacer dimensions:

upload_2020-12-5_11-26-31.png
    Guano11, Friedom, socalnative and 2 others like this.
  14. Forzavale

Forzavale Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great information. Thanks.
    Is it the same dimensions on both sides?
  15. Makael

Makael Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine were fine but no cush hub. 20201031_132131.jpg
  16. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The big changes in spacers (cush vs non-cush) are on the sprocket side. Here's some dimensions on the rotor side:

upload_2020-12-5_15-23-30.png

upload_2020-12-5_15-26-30.png

Sorry for the inch/metric mix. I'd stay with the 41.8mm overall length in the second image (1.643" in the first image = 41.73 mm) and narrow the outer flange a bit if the rotor alignment calls for it.

Of course what's critical is that the rotor is centered in the caliper when properly torqued.

Attached Files:

socalnative likes this.
  17. bajabinder

bajabinder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had similar problems with my WARP9 Cush hub wheel set. Wrong spacers were sent out multiple times, and the offset was incorrect. I finally had to send the wheels back to have the offset corrected, and eventually they sent the correct spacers. PITA, but worth the hassle. I’m surprised to see others having the same issues. I supplied Warp9 with the correct measurements and offsets, so I figured they’d make the adjustments to future buyers’ wheels...guess that didn’t happen. Great customer service, but poor quality control.
  18. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha, I figured the same when I went through this several years ago...nope, nobody there learned anything.

I'm thinking their shop must be next door to a dispensary...they just keep truckin like the doodah man, sending out spacers that fit like this

upload_2020-12-6_3-31-19.png
    bajabinder likes this.
  19. Bud Dog

Bud Dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for low fender options for my XRR. Having a hard time finding options. Anybody knows what would work.
  20. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What am I looking at there Gildus? So the chain is eating the right side of the sprocket there? I'll have to have a look at my Warp9, went on okay but can't say I really checked alignment...