XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Robert K.

Robert K. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :beer

She's a keeper!

Bike is running great. Sounds phenomenal with the xr's only competition system. Hard to hang on it pulls so hard. Good color on the headers starting to appear. Putting in a new Hinson clutch basket with Barnett dirt digger plates and HD springs. After that, some new lighting. After that......buy a house, or use the house money to race the baja1000.

We'll see how much she likes me if the ladder happens. You only live once right?
    pigjockey and Kai Ju like this.
  2. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Better take me with you to Baja. I have a freight train R and a pretty stock one to bring as parts. So hurry up I’m getting old. :clap
    greasyfatman and Robert K. like this.
  3. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’d pit that.

I mean I’d be happy to join on your baja efforts.
    Robert K. likes this.
  4. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Catching up on maintenance. New fuel line, petcock gasket, cleaned out the carb, and got rained on in the process. I tried to start up the bike, and after one fire a bunch of fluid poured out of the air box.

Sooo I drained the "oil" out of the crank case. Out came a good gallon of fluid. Leaking petcocks are a danger to us all lol.
    20210814_160925.jpg 20210814_163326.jpg
    Davethestick likes this.
  5. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    Noooooo! Good thing you caught it before it froze your piston rings!
    Oz Nutter likes this.
  6. Friedom

Oddometer:
    I've never heard of that, but I guess it does dilute the oil and affect it's ability to lubricate.
    Bike wasn't run in this condition as the carb was always too full to start up, so it just got a nice colon cleanse.
    pigjockey likes this.
  7. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's one way to flush your engine... :photog
  8. TroopThrowback

Oddometer:
    When gasoline leaks out of your tank into your intake , it can leak past your valves and into the combustion chamber, and wash the oil away from your rings, freezing them to the bore.
  9. Friedom

Oddometer:
    What would the sticking mechanism be? I don't see gasoline causing them to rust, heat, expand, corrode or fuse?
  10. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    The fastest way to sticking or frozen rings would be from alcohol in the gas. Raw gas with alcohol absorbs moisture from the air and after setting for days can cause a terrible mess by washing out the oil and replacing it with watery gas. Instarust.
  11. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder how your clutch plates fare in that mix.
  12. Skyva

Skyva Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, so I am back, trying to do more maintenance on the bike. I manged to clean the carb and put in new jets so ti is ready to go back on. I thought i should check the valve adjustment as well while I have the seat and tank off.

Problem: I am solo so I cannot turn the back wheel and see the timing mark easily at the same time for TDC. But I cannot remove the stator cover. I have removed the 5 bolts but it won't come more than 5mm (1/4") away from the block. I also cannot seem to get the gear lever off. The lever sits up a bit so might block the stator cover if I could get that off further.
    The bolt holding the gear lever on the splined shaft loosened fine and the lever wobbles a little so it doesn't seem stuck, but it refuses to slide off the shaft. The manual isn't helping me.

Any ideas? I am reluctant to brute force alloy components until I know I am not missing something.

This bike is fighting me every step.
  13. Nikoutdoor

Nikoutdoor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You have to take the bolt all the way out of the lever. There is a groove in the shaft that the lever slides on that the bolt interfaces with.
  14. Bigfury

Bigfury Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Purchased a set of pannier racks from Off The Road located in Germany. Finally installed them. One problem is getting into the air filter. Anyone found a way around the problem?
  15. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    Unscrew the inspection window bolt with an Allen wrench. No need to pull the whole cover

Put the bike on a stand and put it in 5th gear and rotate the tire until the timing mark lines up

In my 18 years of owning my bike I have never had my cover off to adjust my valves.
    IMGP0058.JPG

Your bike should not be fighting you at all. I has been very well designed. Be patient and understand how and why it was designed the way it is. It all makes sense after awhile.

Good luck
  16. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have some design for manufacturing in my back ground. Lots of shitty compromise that take a prototype that is great and turn it into the cheapest possible thing to build and sell.

That being said the XRR is an engineered piece of Art. Yes some emissions compromise have been made. But dam what sexy use of aluminum.
  17. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve posted this before some where in this thread but what I do is push the kick started through by hand till it comes up on compression, keep steady pressure at this point easing off as it comes up to TDC.
    It will likely bump over TDC slightly but no issue, at this time cam followers/rockers will be on the cam base circle - check/adjust valve clearances at this point.
    With practice you will get to feel when the piston is about to bump over TDC, if your slightly past it’s no issue as long as you don’t go half way down the stroke and are somewhere near TDC all will be OK.
    Once you get the hang of it there’s no need to remove the inspection cover and search for the T Mark.
    This method avoids issues with the decomp unit as well.

JM-2008
    Gildus, theailer and pigjockey like this.
  18. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    Yes it is a piece of art
    IMGP3471.JPG IMGP2630.JPG
  19. esteyes

esteyes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    greetings all. looking for answers to a couple of questions about XRs Only exhaust (i recently snagged a used system and am "refurbishing" it):
    1. what is the diff between the two versions? i can't see any looking at their pictures and the descriptions don't say.
    2. the end cap sez it's an approved spark arrestor, but there is no screen. removal of the cap shows a relief cut in the plate that looks like a screen should/could be installed.
    3. the muffler to header fit is very loose (header od: ~ 44.5mm , muffler id: ~ 46.5mm ). there are no signs of silicone, so is there a packing piece a la oem to use, or a piece of tubing to fill the gap that i did not get from the seller? i also did not get a clamp for this joint and it appears there never was one based on the lack of marks
    4. i assume the muffler should be repacked periodically?

thanx in advance
    neil
  20. Frostguiding

Frostguiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Advertised my XR for an optimistic price...
    Guy turned up with cash. I sold it.
    Oh dear.
    Bbasso likes this.