XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The difference is the race version has a larger muffler baffle tube and end cap. The standard has a 2" opening with spark arrestor, the race is 2 1/4" and has no spark arrestor (although you could add one). The larger opening increases power and torque but makes it a bit louder. Either version needs to be repacked periodically but I believe the race version doesn't have as much space for packing so this needs to be done more often.

XRO has had at least three vendors making their pipes over the years so there are many variations. For example, some have two-piece headers while others have three, and some go straight across the front of the frame and some taper inwards on the right side of the bike. Tightness of fit also varies.

Obviously you don't want any air leaks from a sloppy fit so I'd be looking for some extreme temp silicone to fill any voids. The header isn't designed for clamps.

Speaking of air leaks, it's a good idea never to reuse the round head exhaust gaskets...they need to be replaced every time.
    theailer likes this.
  2. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    I kinda hope that happens with mine...
    Frostguiding likes this.
  3. masione

masione masione Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I bought a 2001 low mileage California model in April and trucked it up here to me in the Pacific NW. Cleaned it up as needed. Deleted the PAIR system. Rebuilt the stock carb with genuine Honda parts and jetted it as per the specs dictated by the inmates here. Replaced the tattered air filter with stock Honda and cleaned up the gunky air filter housing. Flame trap in place. Replaced the fuel line with a new one and rebuilt the petcock (replaced the screen as well). Rinsed out the fuel tank with fresh gas yesterday and put some new premium in her this morning. Choke on, 6 or seven priming kicks, then found TDC and backed it up a bit. Started up on the second kick and just purred like nobodys' business. Damn if this isn't the loudest stock Honda exhaust I ever had. Violent acceleration (I like that in a girl). Abysmal suspension, but nothing that can't be sorted. I think we're gonna be friends (as soon as I replace the stock 20 year old Japanese tires). Money well spent!
    honda20, Desertskyy, theailer and 6 others like this.
  4. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    I did not read where you had a smile-grin on your face?
    We all know that before you went to bed you went out to the garage and looked at it.
    slogger likes this.
  5. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    :wingsAnd from that moment on, your bed was a tent.
  6. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be happy with the suspension once you get it setup for you...the 650R is a plush ride!
    DKCJ and pigjockey like this.
  7. masione

Oddometer:
    The grin I had was of the shit eating variety...Swapping these questionable tires out for some Avon AV53/54 Trailmasters. My 13 year old and his Honda CRF125 Big Wheel have been waiting patiently for me to get this thing running so that we can go do some trail riding (anything to get him away from his video screens).
    DKCJ, theailer, pigjockey and 3 others like this.
  8. masione

Oddometer:
    And just ordered a $13 digital tach so that I can correctly adjust the idle/air mix screw-
    Anybody else see the need for larger footpegs? My gunboats is just too big....
  9. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Footpegs are pretty common upgrade. Not many get on with those short & narrow stock ones. I went initially with IMS ones - they were excellent, but eventually I moved to PivotPegz as got used to them on my other bikes.

What idle are you going for? I have a digital tach but TBH have never bothered setting the idle with it, I just go by ear. Mine generally likes a slightly high idle.
  10. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for PivotPegz...once you get used to them there's no going back IMO.
  11. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    <edit> make sure you do the right side footpeg bolt fix if not already done...
    BikePilot likes this.
  12. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know if xr650r.co.uk is still an active site? If so, how do I contact them?
  13. masione

Oddometer:
    Setting the idle/air mixture screw as per the Service Manual...that's why I need the digital tach. What do I replace the dog squeezings that Honda put in the fork instead of oil? What capacity?? Thanks!
  14. bigkuri

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the forum collapsed when one of the main admins retired/dropped out from it.

*** www.xr650r.co.uk ~ UK's Number 1 Site For XR650R Spares & Help ***

The parts side is still active, I think the chaps name is Paul, however he hardly ever has new stock or items. I contacted him a year or so ago for chain-protectors (theirs were the best) but no luck. For UK people they are better off contacting Gabe at Zen Overland who will do custom stuff and has great XR knowledge. I see you are in the USA though, so tons of options there?
  15. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    This is what I am running

120mm I believe (From the top of the fork leg) I may go to 110mm next fluid change

Some guys run the Honda 5wt suspension fluid along with ESP suspension from years ago. My bike had ESP suspension years ago and they set it up with Honda 5wt

[​IMG]
    11 from the bottom
    25qpx81.png
  16. Lawman_745

Lawman_745 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those of you that have the cfab electric start kit, how do you like it? I messed up my right leg pretty bad and am I'm looking at estart options.
  17. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m fairly new to the XR scene here. It seems like there used to be a lot of options a few years back, but now I’m only seeing XR’’Sonly and a few other sites. Just wanted to see if XR650uk was still up since I’m very interested in their graphics kit for the big acerbis tank. Can’t seem to find anybody stateside that offers anything for the acerbis tank. I was fortunate enough to find good info from this forum when it comes to other parts.
    Here’s a pic of the graphics that I was interested in: 9E320679-68A4-4BB6-B293-AF5C748CB3F0.jpeg 36471B46-74A4-4E25-963B-B6081FFDDB4A.jpeg
    theailer likes this.
  18. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @bigkuri here’s the bike that the graphics are going on
    3EAAFA54-DE8A-47B1-9D00-B31295362DD6.jpeg
    slogger, Guano11, Kai Ju and 2 others like this.
  19. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody stateside know where I can get these graphics for an acerbis 6.3 gal tank. 2AF359F8-A436-4418-BBA6-EC4C72032B5B.jpeg DF693037-6B9E-4875-9A67-7F36D05EAB4C.jpeg
    Davethestick likes this.
  20. esteyes

esteyes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sxywrxy, i tried and tried to get thru to that UK parts site. he does not do internet sales and i could not get a response to any email i sent him. finally tried to call him and could never get thru or get someone to pick up the phone. i ended up searching all over and eventually found someone to make the graphics, but i never followed thru and its been long enuff ago that i can't remember if i was to send a template for the tank or what... if you like, i can go back in my mail folder and see if i can find my correspondence and let you know what i find.

neil