XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciate your efforts @esteyes. I’ll probably try and get in touch with a local graphics shop and see if they can do it. If I get something positive, I’ll post back. Thanks again.
  2. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just making an introduction here, hope to join you as an R owner soon. Is there a write up anywhere of the consensus mods and weak points to look for when buying a bike? I have about a year to shop, and an OK budget. I just want to do this the right way.

Stars are aligning for me to do Baja late 2022 and I think...there's not a better bike to do it on. So want to spend the next bit of time learning from you all.

Cheers
  3. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    It looks like you have some time to read all of the 1618 pages of this thread.

Sometimes it is easier to have a XR650R pilot go with you to look at a bike since they have not been made for the past 14 years. Some are in good shape and some are not. With a little luck you can still find one that has very low miles on it and maybe has some great add ons.

Agreed that since the XR650R is born and raised in Baja (Thanks team Honda!) that it would be a good choice.
    john.thorp, pigjockey and slogger like this.
  4. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    Great Baja bike … and pretty good for other shenanigans, too!

Attached Files:

bigkuri, pigjockey and Desertskyy like this.
  5. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! Thanks for the warm welcome. I promise not to ask what oil and tires are the best. I'm subscribed now and will follow along, take the time to look at all 1600 pages when I can.

As for buying, I'll just read everything listing for now. In the mean time, feel free to PM me if any around here feels like selling in the Southwest.
  6. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First wash after completing her. C8D9599C-5E9E-4E24-BBBA-0B3283BD5444.jpeg
    7032222C-74D9-4471-9E59-B714EDD60ACA.jpeg
    Bbasso, OnOff, Skyva and 2 others like this.
  7. Skyva

Skyva Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone is parting out a bike near me. What should I be looking for that is getting hard to find? My bike is complete but wondering whether any breakables are getting hard to find. There is no seat or or frame parts, forks etc that I can see which would have been interesting. Anything else?

Also, is there a trick to adjusting the exhaust valve clearance? Mine were out of spec and I am partially removing the radiators to get at it.
    My blocked jet has escalated somewhat into a major winter/spring project.

Thanks.
  8. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    You shouldn’t have to remove anything but the valve cover. Unless you have a super tanker fuel tank. You will also need to put a dog leg bend in the feeler gauge to make accurate adjustments.
    slogger likes this.
  9. Desertskyy

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is what I use along with a screw driver and wrench. No need to nor recommended to remove the radiators.

Regarding jets It is sometimes better to just buy new ones and switch them out if you are having a clogged jet problem. Always buy OEM jets as they are sized correctly

I pick up spare parts when I can. A spare carburetor (I have 2) is always nice to have along with another wheel set. Wiring harness, Subframe, Kick starter, Left and right cases, Swing arm just to name a few things. Seat pan is always nice to have as an extra

I am sure others will be along to add to this list

Good luck
    Guano11 likes this.
  10. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    I'd grab the spark arrestor if it's there, assuming stock exhaust.
    pigjockey likes this.
  11. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subframe, left engine sidecase (hard to find due to the number of damaged ones from snapped chains), aftermarket triple clamp (BRP, Applied or Scotts), steering stabilizer if any
    pigjockey likes this.
  12. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Grab up all he has!
    Guano11 likes this.
  13. masione

masione masione Supporter

Oddometer:
    About how many miles can I go with the stock gas tank? 2001 model, uncorked but box stock (unmodified side cover). Just mild trail riding here...
  14. Desertskyy

Oddometer:
    I think the stock tank is 2.6 gal. Depending on your jetting and if you stay off the throttle (yea right) you are probably looking at 38ish MPG; puts you at around 100. I think most think 80 miles is reasonable for a stock tank with a little left over. I think my overall average is about 35-38 MPG buy hey I am riding a 650R. I have heard others in the 40 plus range with a good tune up and maybe short shifting to get the absolute maximum MPG. I am running an IMS 4.6 gallon tank just to get some range

Others MPG may vary.
  15. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a micrometer a mic one to check my cheap feeler gauges but also to feel how it should feel in the right space. Let me know if that makes sense? If not I will get a picture in the garage.
  16. Hawaiian Style

Hawaiian Style Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just grab the whole bike!!
    pigjockey likes this.
  17. esteyes

esteyes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i would be keeping my eye out for a good countershaft - the way honda is obsoleting older parts, i expect the BRP to be suffering in the not-too-distant future. as my xrr has been on pavement, my c/s is hammered - i went to a cush drive rear and have a new c/s in hand. i also have water pump parts, all 4 oil pump rotors and a spare barrel/piston and head. (hoping the italians offer their trick c/s sprocket in 15T b4 my c/s dies)

if the c/s is primo, take the whole engine...
    Gildus likes this.
  18. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @esteyes what Italian trick countershaft sprocket?
    I always buy the thicker front sprockets - JT are cheap and seem to last well, and that thickness helps save the counter-shaft. On my original engine the previous owner/s ran renthal sprockets, horrible things ruined the countershaft (as a sumo race bike)

Was just reading this:
    https://advrider.com/2022-will-the-honda-transalp-be-resurrected

I really don't know why Honda don't unearth the XR650R motor again and go for a decent single to rival the 690/701. Cost of tooling compared with cheaper modern engines?
    theailer likes this.
  19. esteyes

esteyes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :beer

Nice. The XR600 15T one won't fit? :hmmmmm