XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. pigjockey

pigjockey Hognuts the T-bagger

Oddometer:
    Wisconsin A half dozen miles from ROAD AMERICA
    Bhart89 I did not forget about the manual I’m still going through my bike parts and paperwork storages. I will get it to you when it’s located.
    Bhart89 likes this.
  3. brayjay

brayjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys those links should help.
  4. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Want to sell?
  5. brayjay

brayjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not as of yet no.
    Bbasso likes this.
  6. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Just let me know!
    brayjay likes this.
  7. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wanna scan and post here before you ship?

I’ve got a couple edelbrocks on the shelf and don’t have paper instructions. I’ve seen a couple one pager instructions but always looking to learn more if it’s out there.
  8. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Will do. I have quite a few pages if my memory is right like 6-8.
    TroopThrowback likes this.
  9. Bhart89

Bhart89 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2003 model which I bought from the original owner in 2010. I doubt the previous owner did any suspension work and I haven’t touched the suspension since I’ve owned it. I’m a slow rider and I was amazed at how good the suspension is while on a recent ride through some tight, rocky, off camber single track. I’m 245lbs with no gear so it’s not even spring for my weight but the ability of this bike to soak up everything and keep my pointed in the right direction was awesome.
    DKCJ, theailer, Gildus and 1 other person like this.
  10. Agent2

Agent2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After buying my R in '06, rode it 20 miles to make sure everything worked. Pulled off the stock carb and replaced with an Eddie. Great carb, but lately it's been acting up, parts are almost nonexistent, decided to throw the rejetted stocker back on. Question - is this the correct location for this vent tube? Can't tell from the service manual, but it seems to work.
    Carb 1.jpg Carb 2.jpg
  11. Desertskyy

Desertskyy Always looking for an adventure

Oddometer:
    Yes that is the correct placement of that particular vent tube

You might want to push your engine side rubber manifold on a little better The slot aligns up with the protrusion on the cylinder head.

As I have done a lot of guys remove the spring door on the choke or replace the choke plate with one from XR's Only. Stories of the spring door coming off the plate and going in to the motor.

Looks like factory fuel bowl screws. Most replace them with an Allen type metric screw/head bolt as they are easier to remove and put back on especially when doing field repairs. Use a "JIS" screw driver to remove the factory screws as they will strip out with a regular Phillips screw driver

Good luck
    theailer, slogger and bigkuri like this.
  12. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great advice all of that. I was thinking your manifold rubber may be way over tightened?
    I only recently learnt about JIS drivers, and what a difference that has made to things like carb services! Or any philips, I use a JIS on all of them now.
    Desertskyy likes this.
  13. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    What you doing with the Eddie. I might be interested in it for parts?
  14. pigjockey

Oddometer:
    Been real busy lately replacing the head gaskets in the wife’s 94 z28. Them lt1’s are a pain to work on. Here’s the problem.
    upload_2021-9-29_20-37-15.jpeg
    mice never seen gaskets so out of round. The top of the photo shows what eventually killed it.

I’m still searching for the Eddie manual, but only found the exploded view page. I’ll find the rest of the pages probably this weekend after I get this car back running.
  15. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    Anybody have any xr650r tanks shrouds they are willing to part with?
  16. thouk

thouk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lincoln, Ne my hometown, Where I'm freezin
    Hey Pigpen,
    I may have a set that aren’t in the best condition. I could take some pictures tomorrow when I get home. Tony
  17. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    That would be great. Looking forward to seeing them…. Condition is not the priority for now. Thank you!
  18. Gildus

Gildus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pigpen, tell us it ain't so that you're planning to turn your back on your trusty XRR. Your name would live in infamy :gerg
  19. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How tragic!

I can see the headline now:

“Pigpeniswithdrawn”

Oops, sorry my spacebar is broken.
    Gildus likes this.
  20. pigpen

pigpen Gone Riding

Oddometer:
    Gildus, thanks for the kind words.
    Long story short, I haven’t ridden the bike in two years, I decided that I wasn’t really interested in riding so I put it the XR up for sale. Say what!
    First guy was super interested, I rearranged my schedule for his work schedule, messed up a day with my son, he wasted three hours talking about motorcycles at my house with me, looking at the bike all the parts, etc,etc.Then he lowballed me, the next guy lowballed me. I was only asking $4250 for it. The bike hadn’t been started in two whole years. When I put it away of course it was perfectly clean oil changed air filter chain clean etc. etc. So I drained the gas , drained the carb , filled with new ethanol free gas. Well the old XR didn’t let me down and it fired right up on the first kick !!
    Serious as a heart attack ! At that point my mangina got all tingly, and I thought I might want to ride again. After the two lowball Offers I pulled the add and decided I put a 4.3 Clark tank on it because I don’t need the distance the 6.3 Acerbi’s offers. Since the 4.3 doesn’t come with the tank shrouds I started looking hard for those! So now there’s a going to be as lightly different new iteration of the Pigpen’s XR 650 R . I’ll have to post some pictures of it ! If the Clarke 4.3 works…I’m gonna be selling the 6.3 gallon tank.
    It feels really good to hear that someone remembered some of my old posts from Back in the Day! Thank You! I’ll be back!!!
    Guano11, theailer, bigkuri and 5 others like this.