XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I don't need sitcoms, afv, or any of that junk. I get all the humor I need right here!
    Good stuff, guys.

Cut the 2x2 peter off square and it'll work just fine. Rip a 2x4 down the center and use the other side as a handle. Watch out for knots. Sand the sharp edges rounded. Wa-La. ;)

Could use a hook and eye instead of a hinge, then be able to take it off and hang it on another hook higher up for storage...
    buzzword likes this.
  2. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer:
    This is the coolest tool on the internet!
    Seriously, one more question:
    Is the door jam anchored in the floor slab? If no, what keeps the lever from pulling ( prying ) the jam up off the floor?
    I'm guessing there is a reaction block under the wheel that we cant see in the photo attached to the same jam stud as the lever?
  3. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags

Oddometer:
    Maintenance intervals on the KTMs and Huskys are based on a strictly racing schedule. Don't race, stretch the interval out. I would argue that a 690/701 and the 500/501 are actually tougher than the other bikes you listed and will literally run circles around them. They will cost more to buy but they will handle abuse way better. Parts aren't super expensive like some people make them out to be and RMATV will have anything you need to your door in 3 days. I change my 300 oil after every race or every third ride, takes 10 minutes. I change the oil on my 250SXF, a high reving mx bike, every 10 hours and swap the oil filter every 20 takes about 30 minutes. My friends with 500s do huge rides through Colorado, Baja, and Georgia with no problems.

They really don't compare well to the other bikes you listed as they really are either decades apart in technology or have huge disparities in design and quality. The DR350 was an awesome machine when Mondo Enduro was made... The WR is the best street legal 250 dual sport from Japan but is totally outclassed in the dirt and on the street by the European bikes. The CRF rally is a giant pile of overweight junk with no power.

If you don't want to spend money and want a good adventure dirt bike then it's the XR650L.

When I started really pounding my XR650L off road I had a lot more things break than I have on my KTMs. In fact the only time have been stranded was on my XR650 when I lost the bearings in the rear wheel. If I was trail riding I wouldn't worry about going 3k before swapping the oil on a 500.

KTMs aren't pretending to be race bikes, they are. That doesn't make them fragile, quite the opposite in fact. They are going to need more maintenance than the UJMs you listed but so will the Japanese dirt bikes which are going to be heavier, have less power, and are harder to work on. They aren't all bad by any means, I actually Yamahas quite a bit and even though I don't like the way Hondas turn they make a pretty good bike.

You are really blowing the oil change thing out of the water. It's not as often and it's easier than you think.
    Vegas800XC, braindead0 and bakermaker like this.
  4. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    It's called sheetrock on the interior wall. :lol2

There's a double-board header at the top of the wall.
  5. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ

Oddometer:
    The Dajarra State School thermometer a couple of days ago. Should warm you up a bit.:D

[​IMG]
    ONandOFF likes this.
  6. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    124F? I don't know how you handle that.
    The sensor musta been baking in the sun.

What's the dew point?

Tellya what, tho; how about we mix our cold with your heat to make it pleasant for all of us? :hmmmmm
    JCool likes this.
  7. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Nerds Rule

Oddometer:
    Jeeze, I thought you guys were engineers. I put myself through college doing foundations, basement walls and flat work in the summers to supplement the GI Bill - here's how it works -

[​IMG]

But to your point, the only way to keep from levering the garage apart is to have a plate under the tire that's tied to the fulcrum. This means that everything will need to be collapsible so that it can be hung on hooks on the wall when not in use.

A big-ass "C" clamp is starting to look better and better. :lol3
    Freshdonuts and buzzword like this.
  8. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    That about sums it up, dude!
  9. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course there's that house out there where to pass inspection they threaded a piece of rod into a nut and glued the rod, nut, and washer down to the sill plate!
    JCool likes this.
  10. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Dude, that doesn't hold the vertical stud, only the plate. The stud will pull straight up off the two 10d nails up through the plate.
    I can see why you had to move on to bigger and better things... ;)

But you're not going to push up the wall header, so you don't need to worry about any reaction plates below the tire tied to the wall.
  11. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are really doing the hurricane thing you use a tie from the sill plate to the stud, and another from studs to rafters.
  12. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  13. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    We're only required to use ties on roof rafters here (in this locality). Exterior wall studs are adequately tied to the plate with sheathing. And there's structure weight on them.

When i was building my garage, a hurricane came along. I believe it was Hugo. Anyway, only the bottom floor exterior walls were up at the time, tops loose. Recipe for disaster. I took some power company pole guy wire and with some turnbuckles and cross-boards locked wall tops together and to the foundation. After weathering the storm no issues, i left that network in place.
  14. lookfar

Oddometer:
  15. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    Wow! 192mph!

Winds of 120 are devastating to hurricane prone communities in this country.
  16. lookfar

Oddometer:
    When cyclone Larry crossed the coast at Innisfail as a high Cat 4- low Cat 5, the newer buildings at Hinchinbrook only lost their TV antennas.

Maybe you guys need to have a look at our building codes for cyclone areas.
    JCool likes this.
  17. Redclayrider

Redclayrider Long time gone

Oddometer:
    WOW! Talk about taking a subject and running with it. /\ :fpalm

From tire spoons to indestructible housing! :hmmmmm

Good job gentlemen!!:clap:clap
  18. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    They got a handle on it now, but codes only apply to new construction. There's no mandated retrofitting that I'm aware of.
  19. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    BARNEY ? :lol3
    ONandOFF likes this.
  20. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Nerds Rule

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, someone will bring it back around to indestructible tire spoons.
    Redclayrider likes this.