XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bryce1552

bryce1552 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do the aftermarket tanks effect heat on these bikes I know some have small wings built into the tank looking into an IMS but unsure about foregoing the stock wings.
  2. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm running the 5.7 gallons Acerbis. And I love it. It feels like it's moving more air than my stock tank with no wings.
  3. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 4 gallon IMS on mine and have no cooling issues.
    Freshdonuts and sdf like this.
  4. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    So sometimes ‘one issue’ is really TWO issues.

Replaced my kill switch assuming that would cure my random ‘skips’ by the motor. No go. Still skipping. My CDI was new just a few hundred miles ago and made by a company in Germany. So much for ‘German engineering’.

Luckily I care a spare Honda CDI. Flipped that in on my ride today and so far no more skipping.
    Sledred likes this.
  5. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @XRLated yeah this thing has been a pain in the ass, all the more painful because I seem to have had all the problems known to these bikes happen in fairly quick succession. I did buy new because just about all I've ever owned before has been used, which has it's ow problems, btu no bike has given me as many problems as this Honda.

@Barron & @bajasam Not the battery, put in a known good battery and no bueno, no lights, not roll over nothing. Time to check the regulator rectifier, I hope it didn't go in such a way as it fried my stator, but at this point I suspect the stator and reg/rec are both fried.

This will be getting put back to stock and sold as soon as it is running, look for all the aftermarket goodies soon, well those that can't be used on a DR
  6. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing I’ve wondered about the Honda CDI’s is if newer ones are ‘fixed’ or same issue with them all.
  7. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you put in a new battery and the symptoms you are seeing is no lights and it won't turn over you need to check your fuses. A multimeter that can check resistance is the best option, but you can visually inspect them as well. If you have blown a fuse, you need to know why. You can throw another fuse in there to see if it works out but there is a good possibility that you have power touching the frame somewhere. The light fuse is a 10A and the main fuse is a 20A. If you were messing around with the battery it's easy to let the magic smoke out of those fuses, and before you start looking at anything else that needs to get fixed.

If you need assistance narrowing down where it could be or how to troubleshoot it, send me a PM and we can work through it.

-Barron
    AZ TOM likes this.
  8. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's no way to fix what kills them. Lots of heat cycles, vibrations and time will kill any electronics. If the material that they use to seal up the CDI's wasn't such a pain to remove, repairing the CDI would be easy but if it was easy to remove it wouldn't seal the CDI up as well either. The cold solder joints like we get in CDI's is common to shipboard electronics that go through similar but not as harsh conditions. The difference being that most of the electronics on the ship only have a small coat of epoxy sealing them that you can remove pretty easily. If I were to repair a CDI, I'd seal it with that type of epoxy then RTV on top for added protection.

-Barron
    Motorius and XRLated like this.
  9. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Barron I'll try that, but the fuses all looked good to me. I do have a good multimeter, I'll check with that as well.
    Barron likes this.
  10. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An old timer told me once, Tom, to measure is to know. I thought he was being a smart ass, but the more I thought about it , the better the advice got. When trying to diagnose one of these beasts, a good multimeter is priceless.
    Barron likes this.
  11. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    MB Alarm pro works flawlessly:

http://www.mb-alarm.com/en/

However I can't find it on Android Play store any longer. Luckily I already have it on my old phone.

I'll send an email to the address on the above website to see if there is still a way to get it, or if they are out of business.

If MB Pro is no longer available, you'd think someone else must have made an app that has the same features. I'm going to hunt around.

As a last resort, an app like Tasker could no doubt be used to replicate MB Pro features. Maybe I'll goof around with Tasker if I can't find anything else. I don’t know Tasker well, though, so if anyone else wants to take a crack at it or if anyone knows how to write an app for that matter, pleeeease do!)

The phone connection just requires a SIM card with minimum monthly payment of $3:

T-Mobile Prepaid Complete SIM Starter Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LPPHHFK/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_-s0wDbEYV5SD9

For $3 month you get the alarm features, plus an emergency backup phone if your primary dies.

Any old Android smartphone lying around should work as long as it takes the T-mobile SIM card--I use a Samsung Note4--or you can buy a dirt cheap smartphone like this for $40:

Coolpad Rogue 4G (Simply Prepaid T-Mobile) Silver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BVX51S0/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_Vy0wDbZ2CAYM7

I'll report back on MB Pro or other options once I find anything out.
    Barron likes this.
  12. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wargasm check fuses again.
    Wargasm likes this.
  13. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the multimeter.
    Wargasm likes this.
  14. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    With your eyes.
    Wargasm likes this.
  15. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I've emailed MB Pro. At least it didn't bounce back as udeliverable, so we'll see what happens.

I searched Play store and can't find anything similar which is weird to me, because it is a simple and smart idea. No one else has written a similar app?

I found this searching the web, but costs $200 for the device and ~$4 per month:

https://monimoto.com/how-monimoto-smart-tracker-works/

I guess it is a cell device?

I much prefer the repurposed old smartphone, so I'm going to mess with Tasker. Just need the accelerometer to trigger the phone to call another phone number and keep ithe call live, maybe, maybe turn on the voice recorder, and start texting GPS location every few minutes. I haven't messed with Tasker for years, so we'll see how it works out.

Really surprised several similar apps don't exist. As I said MB Pro works great.
  16. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Ha I tell ya. Sometimes reading this forum is just like riding my Moto.
    There's jumps, berms, flat spots, sometimes a branch in the face, even bogs where nobody wants to go!. I've eaten it as well as given it here too. You guys are some funny randomly smart mfr's.

I sit here frustrated as an old back injury that decided to flare up has kept me off the bike for weeks.
    Killing me...
    At least I have you. :fpalm

Thorpe, glad you got your bike back.
    I agree. That's a pretty nice cop.
  17. wreckedredrider

wreckedredrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just remembered this while gettin ready this mornin. Thought about puttin these on my mitre boxes and table saw then didn’t push it since they stay locked in job boxes anyway (knock on wood), but they’d be great for a bike..

Attached Files:

XRLated likes this.
  18. wreckedredrider

Oddometer:
    That one piece of description says 100’ signal.. Not sure what that refers to but I know a hvac contractor that had success with this on a set of Milwaukee fuel tools taken couple yrs ago. They tracked it right to the guys garage behind his house that evenin. So it definitely gives gps and all that thru the app. Didn’t have enuff time this mornin to read up on what the 100’ pertains to.
  19. wreckedredrider

Oddometer:
    Scroll the first pic up and at the bottom it’s listed at $19.97. Guessin that’s for one. Again didn’t have much time to read it all. They use to come in four packs but I think they were maybe 50$. That was when they first came out couple tho ago tho.

Feel ya on the screwed up back fresh d. That sht sucks major ass

Bout forgot too for John and anybody else with carpel tunnel/arthritis problems..
    My wrist was so screwed up I couldn’t hardly play in chords on the git-tar anymore and was stuck with straight lead, and taking several breaks in between on that. Never mind clutches, left handed screwdrivering, hammering, titty flopping and whatever else. It all was about impossible. Then one day I just had started tearing apart a Subway we were remodeling and I got a big ol moldy bitch of a splinter right in the damn crease of my thumb. Yanked it out didn’t think much of it. Next day it was swollen, I’d be easy with it then it’d be fine. Then couple days later swollen again. Went back and forth like that for awhile and finally after a week it wouldn’t go back down and just kept gettin worse. Finally early one mornin it was so bad I was bout in fkn tears. Went to the doc that took care of all my broken bones and said I’m in bad shape. He took a look at it and wanted to do surgery right away. He started gettin scared sayin normally we put people under for this and get an operating room at hospital but I’m afraid if we wait that long for them to set everything up you might loose your thumb or more. I was like fk that do whatever ya gotta do. So we went back in his office and I sat in a lil kids desk in the corner and he started with the novocaine. He’d say is it getting numb? No sir and that needle feels like it’s gettin bigger every damn time. Then he’d stick it some more but there was so much infection bullsht in there the novocaine wouldn’t amount to anything to work. I finally flipped out my pocket knife and said I’m fixin to cut this son of a bitch open. This bastards killin me, you cut it now or I will. So for the next two hrs he cut my thumb all the way across horizontally at both creases. Then got in there and cut the tendon sheath from top to bottom and squeezed the hell out of it over and over and over til he was happy it was gone then stitched it up. I won’t lie I had some water in the corner of at least one of my eyes a couple times in there. Anyway the whole point is afterwards while he was stitching me up, he told me this is is the exact surgery procedure they perform for people with bad carpel tunnel. So lucky me, went thru Hell, but my left hand hasn’t worked this good since I don’t know when. That was 5-6 yrs ago and still all good. So anyone thinkin bout gettin that surgery I can attest to it being seriously worth it. I’d definitely recommend being put to sleep tho. Ah hell that was way too long sorry guys. Everyone’s showing up gotta get to it now anyhow or would delete some of it. Good day guys
    Hanz, Barron and Fitz57 like this.
  20. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    buy the oldest iphone that still works, install the find my iphone app, install the same on your phone, put one on the bike with a minimum monthly data package, if bike goes missing you can track it as long as it has power. Mind you this only really works with iphones, I used to do this to keep tabs on my kids.
    Motorius, XRLated and Barron like this.