XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Parting the whole bike out on ebay is sounding much more attractive, particularly after lookfar's testimony above. What also might be fun/interesting/educational (and profitable maybe) would be to disassemble the engine all the way down and part that out on ebay, instead of selling it assembled, since as Sh0rtlife on the XL600 thread says, no one's necessarily going to believe ir runs. And maybe I can feel good about getting some good condition OEM parts out there for my XL compadres who still are trying to keep their aging XLs humming along.

Yeah, kinda liking the idea of taking that engine apart and setting up my very own ebay parts shop.
    PackinDirt and Barron like this.
  2. irrelephant

irrelephant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been wondering why this low mile XR650L I recently picked up seems to consume more oil than my old clapped-out XL600R... I just realized that the previous owner removed the oil separator can. :fpalm
  3. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since Honda doesn't sell a crate motor for the 650L, if anyone wants to rebuild a motor, used cases are the only way to go. If nothing is damaged, there's a market for a torn-down motor. Since it was oil starved, the internals and top end of my motor were no good but the cases sold relatively easily. Go ahead and take it apart. You'll need a special tool to remove the flywheel retaining nut (unless someone here has a better idea).
    XRLated likes this.
  4. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been there! Glad i’m not the only one. I have the can I got on ebay, been meaning to put it on but haven’t had a chance yet.
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    That still shouldn't make it use a lot of oil. There could be many reasons....that I wont depress you with the details of at the present time. :D
    Where is the hose from the crankcase vented to now? Most times it's still routed to the air filter box. Can you see an oil film(puddle of oil) around/near the hose outlet?
    XRHondafan likes this.
  6. irrelephant

irrelephant Adventurer

Oddometer:

The crankcase vents straight to the bottom vent on the airbox, the top one is capped. It doesn't seem to burn oil, but the airbox always has oil in the bottom, and it's always evident below the airbox on the left side of the frame. Did some gravel roads this weekend and noticed the bottom of the airbox was oily and it was dripping on the exhaust, which caused the realization that there's an oem oil separator missing. Just ordered the missing hoses and a used separator.

edit: I should note that it doesn't use a LOT of oil, just that it's noticeable
  7. ricardoguitars

ricardoguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the meantime, look for a piece of garden hose and attach it to the crankcase vent, place the hose high, so no oil can escape. I did that on a chinese motorcycle i used to have, it worked like that for years without issues, lol.
  8. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my crank back from the shop on Saturday morning and noticed after assembly that my cam gear marks don't quite line up with my head. After 18k miles it looks like my cam chain has stretched a bit. Looks like I get to toss another $100 at this project!!
    XRHondafan likes this.
  9. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wiseco cam chain. EBay...
    enduro16 likes this.
  10. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the smog pump & oil separator the same thing? If so, why would the engine consume more oil from removing it?
    XRLated likes this.
  11. PackinDirt

PackinDirt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really gotta stop counting the pennies... Try not to think about it as money but more as temporary options.
    XRLated likes this.
  12. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. Done.
  13. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Completely different. If an OEM parts fiche doesn't answer all questions, ask 'em here, or search "oil separator" in this thread. Lots of discussion and diagrams to delete, reconnect &etc..

Most folks (not all) say the oil separator is integral, while the smog gear doesn't really affect performance one way or the other, except you get a bit of weight loss in exchange for increased emissions.

A lot of folks don't like the smog gear leeched onto the side of the engine like a rubber/metal octopus, and it's presence increases difficulty gaining access in order to work on parts of the engine and carbs.

The oil separator has some of those same clutter issues but to a lesser degree, but decluttering the bike by removing the oil separator means you are dumping oil somewhere outside the engine, not puffing out a few more gasses by deleting the smog stuff.

Some smog removal instructions may be floating around the web that erroneously includes removing the oil separator, which may be why lots of folks end up with 2nd-hand bikes that lose oil.

I myself am OEM all around, no complaints except when the octopus gets in the way during maintenance chores.
    irrelephant likes this.
  14. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just my 2 cents I run hose from crank case vent up & over battery box & out back with a small K&N filter on the end? Use no oil & runs well?
    Wattner and XRLated like this.
  15. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well then the oil separator would be similar to a PCV, dumping the vapors into the manifold?
    How would removing it cause the engine to consume oil?
    XRHondafan likes this.
  16. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    By allowing the oil vapor to be discharged directly to the air box instead of being caught and returned to the engine via the separator.

texas123 and XRLated like this.
  17. OUTERLIMITS

OUTERLIMITS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have an XRL, but rather a DRZ and the oil separator is something that does its job well and really doesn't interfere with much except for carb access from the right side and it blocks access to the preload rings on the shock. It's easy to move when you need to for access and then just put back in place. That said, I have seen some oil separators on some bikes that are hideously large and overkill for the job they need to do. The one on the L does not seem too bad to me, but if I was wanting to replace one that was missing, I'd probably go out and buy one of those small cleanable aluminum fuel filters, pull out the filter inside and stuff the coarse foam in it to trap the oil vapor as the stock one does. The key is to locate it upwards of wherever the tubing leaves the engine cases so that oil can drip back in. The end of it you could route back to the stock location in the air box or cap it with a filter on the end as AZTom said. Always best to loop the end of the line back downward so that any water can't get inside and flow downward back to the cases.
    XRLated likes this.
  18. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thread is on the well side..good..also old members checking in (TJ, Chip).. Missed lots,curious on some older posts.

Tooo bad..I am thinking to simplify wiring harness(front cowl),you'd be the man to answer that.. Thanks for your contributions.

Saw a XL6 ad with that huge tank with plenty mods recently.
    Must've been a lot of work,very well done on the L.

Sounds interesting to me.

Interested !

Interested !

@Pete B and @mrmushman you go buy new L's,a good contribution in right direction for the $aLe.
    Onederer nice resources you bring.
    AZTom cool see some XR vid,quite rare in here.
    Totalpines I look forward to your MX report :thumb.
    XRLated likes this.
  19. bringenufgun

bringenufgun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    seller posted this locally. 2014 XRL with 2500 miles. would trade for Sportster. just happen to have one. bringing it by tomorrow. will update. is it just me or do those bars seem crazy high?
    IMG_3693.jpg 75316056_2736572173070236_8757688906410885120_n (2).jpg 74930267_2736572273070226_3655703886921990144_n (2).jpg
    XRLated likes this.
  20. rimtrail105

rimtrail105 http://advrider.com/index.php?account/

Oddometer:
    Remembering back to 1992 and was at baja to race over 40 class and thought about Scott Summers xr600r. All this discussion about oil seperators on 650l brought back discussion about his unusual oil seperator can.It was plumbed into the left mag cover and I asked Bruce Ogelvie about that location for a return tube and he said it was to really pull all oil expelled from his so called " xr600r " breather tube to return to bottom end by using suction of rotating magneto . I assumed they had a 628 kit as well as our 600 did also that year. We developed a severe oil leak at high speeds [drain tube vented to atmosphere ] and from small breather mounted at top of breather tube.Evidently team Honda knew about high speed and big bores venting more than a little oil out.Yes we didn't finish that year ,with blown piston ring land at top.Look at youtube;
    1992 XR600R Baja Scott Summers´s 600, for special seperator in video
    XRHondafan and XRLated like this.