XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the shorai.
    Lithium batteries have less amps when cold. You can turn on the headlight for a couple minutes before cranking and warm the battery. Cranking can drain it before it has a chance to warm.
    At 40F in my garage it cranks more slowly but starts reliably.

If that tender does simple trickle charging it's OK, desulfating is bad for LiFePOS.

If you charge at all you need to be sure the voltge does not go above the never-exceed coltage, I think it's 14.3?

Lithium batteries have a lower max acceptable voltage when cold, it's a lithium thing.
  2. msteward

msteward Long timer

Oddometer:
    They sell a different charger for lith batteries also.
  3. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use my battery tender to boost it up over the winter once in awhile, but the lithiums have very small self-discharge so really just needs a touch up infrequently.
    I don't see a need leave a lithium on a tender.
  4. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is all making sense. it *does* start reliably now that i think about it. it’s not like an actual weak battery like i’ve had before where it gets weaker and weaker and weaker.

i’ll leave the headlight on before my next start and see what happens. i’m sure you’re absolutely right, but i can at least report back another data point
  5. sdf

sdf Let's Ride

Oddometer:
    Are you trying to charge a 12 volt system with a 6 volt charger? There might be your problem.
    Olderslowerguy and Bell driver like this.
  6. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that it's 14.6 / 14.7 max charging voltage. At least that's what used to be posted on the Antigravity web site.

Good reason to check your R/R output before popping for an expensive LiFePO4 battery.
  7. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DO we really need a lithium battery? Such a small weight gain for all the hassle!
    Wattner, gammel and Olderslowerguy like this.
  8. Steve246

Steve246 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good season commuting here in Wisconsin. 82 commutes on the 650L, 30 commutes on my wife's F650 for a total of 5488 miles. 015.JPG 018.JPG
    XRLated and AZ TOM like this.
  9. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DING DING DING

We have a winner. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

enduro16 and Olderslowerguy like this.
  10. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was over 4 lbs difference. That weight is out on the end of the bike up high. It made a small difference in some situations. If you're just riding on the pavement, probably won't notice.

There's about a 50lb difference in the XR600R and XR650L. My off brand lithium battery gets not quite 10% of that back. Never had mine on a charger after about 4-5 years.
  11. JonBu

JonBu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is transmission inspection procedure? It is not cycling through the gears.

Attached Files:

12. JonBu

JonBu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is related to the issue I posted about a month ago. Clutch basket was good, no issues, piston etc good, transmission is not working properly. Something bent? Visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious. No metal in oil or in cases. Nothing broken. First time case has been split. I can post closeup pics on anything if anyone is willing to help.
  13. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s what I was thinking, that i’d mismatched the battery and the charger. But, as any local fool, i’m susceptible to all sorts of influence. if some one tells me it’s normal for that battery to be weak, i’ll believe it.

if this means my winter riding will suck if i don’t get the right voltage charger, than i’ll get the charger.

also, if anyone wants to pm me an explainer on voltage i wouldn’t say no. just don’t want to clutter up the thread here with remedial stuff
  14. JonBu

JonBu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To elaborate further, it feels as if 2 gears want to engage when shifting through. It will not turn smoothly, it will at first then binds.
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pm’d You
    JonBu likes this.
  16. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:

Once you start getting offroad on the XR/XRL any poundage (including that ocassionally stored on ourselves) removed is better.

At 3pm in the afternoon when youre getting sloppy offroad the XR feels like it weighs 1000kg
    mbanzi likes this.
  17. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    The most maligned best bike off road I've owned. To heavy, to slow, to tall. Works great for this old guy! 1993-2019, something must be right?
    enduro16, thebigman, XRLated and 5 others like this.
  18. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    I need to try my XRL off-road more. Ridden it for years, and nothing more serious than a Jeep road.

I suspect it will compare poorly to the KTM 300 and 450 I had.

But still fun!
  19. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    But again and several others will support this - fcring, pipe and good suspension really really makes a massive difference.

Then Steve’s engine work just completes the package.

The xr600/650l is truly the most versatile widest application dirt bike made.

I’ve got a super hyped up 450x with full jcr pro circuit engine and the vibes and revs are just farking annoying.

The xr gearbox is so much broader. With a Steve’s engine you’d run 15/42 offroad and have brilliant do it all bike.

Caveat you need to be in reasonable shape
    Skowinski likes this.
  20. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Tires off road one of the biggest improvements.?