XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. JonBu

JonBu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is related to the issue I posted about a month ago. Clutch basket was good, no issues, piston etc good, transmission is not working properly. Something bent? Visual inspection doesn't show anything obvious. No metal in oil or in cases. Nothing broken. First time case has been split. I can post closeup pics on anything if anyone is willing to help.
  2. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s what I was thinking, that i’d mismatched the battery and the charger. But, as any local fool, i’m susceptible to all sorts of influence. if some one tells me it’s normal for that battery to be weak, i’ll believe it.

if this means my winter riding will suck if i don’t get the right voltage charger, than i’ll get the charger.

also, if anyone wants to pm me an explainer on voltage i wouldn’t say no. just don’t want to clutter up the thread here with remedial stuff
  3. JonBu

JonBu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To elaborate further, it feels as if 2 gears want to engage when shifting through. It will not turn smoothly, it will at first then binds.
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pm’d You
    JonBu likes this.
  5. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:

Once you start getting offroad on the XR/XRL any poundage (including that ocassionally stored on ourselves) removed is better.

At 3pm in the afternoon when youre getting sloppy offroad the XR feels like it weighs 1000kg
    mbanzi likes this.
  6. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The most maligned best bike off road I've owned. To heavy, to slow, to tall. Works great for this old guy! 1993-2019, something must be right?
    enduro16, thebigman, XRLated and 5 others like this.
  7. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    I need to try my XRL off-road more. Ridden it for years, and nothing more serious than a Jeep road.

I suspect it will compare poorly to the KTM 300 and 450 I had.

But still fun!
  8. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    But again and several others will support this - fcring, pipe and good suspension really really makes a massive difference.

Then Steve’s engine work just completes the package.

The xr600/650l is truly the most versatile widest application dirt bike made.

I’ve got a super hyped up 450x with full jcr pro circuit engine and the vibes and revs are just farking annoying.

The xr gearbox is so much broader. With a Steve’s engine you’d run 15/42 offroad and have brilliant do it all bike.

Caveat you need to be in reasonable shape
    Skowinski likes this.
  9. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tires off road one of the biggest improvements.?
  10. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes! If you're willing to replace tires frequently, aggressive tires make the L much easier to ride off road.

I also own a KTM300. It's even older than my XR. No way to compare the two. The 300 is much better off road, isn't street legal, and isn't happy just putting down a gravel road. The XR is so tall, heavy, and awkward in tight spots. The XR is really happy on pavement up to 60mph or so, and loves gravel roads.
    The best and worst thing about the XR is the engine. Wide power, low tech, easy maintenance, but also tall and 130lbs or so according to my cheap scale.
    XRHondafan likes this.
  11. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I got my motor back in after a new counter shaft and a new connecting rod. After about a 10 mile shake down ride all is well. This motor has never been this quite. I'm super impressed.

Attached Files:

Barron, XRHondafan and Hanz like this.
  12. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    20191117_094354.jpeg 20191117_094853.jpeg 20191117_095147.jpeg
    went out for a little ride this morning , always like to ride by the airport and see whats going on , fire tanker support trailer and tower , big shipping company in town , still a good mix of firefighting aircraft parked around for late in the season , but we seem to have a hot week or so just before thanksgiving
    gammel and XRHondafan like this.
  14. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    20191117_110442.jpeg was feeling so good that next photo was here just past onyx summit on the way to big bear ... looking north
    gammel, Hanz and mrmushman like this.
  15. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    20191117_112655.jpeg 20191117_112638 (1).jpeg 20191117_115957.jpeg 20191117_120531.jpeg first one is baldwin lake looking west , 2nd the road that goes to pioneertown looking southeast , 3-4 ride around north side of big bear lake
    bbbrrrraaaaaappppp
    gammel, thebigman and mrmushman like this.
  16. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    20191117_124024.jpeg 20191117_124034.jpeg first one is looking south and san bernardino and big airport down the hill , in the far distance is the orange county mts. , cleveland nat'l forest , 2nd pic is looking west and greater l. a. area and l. a. nat'l forest in mountains background ... really good listening-in to all of the tech-talk thanks for the info and pics ... have a good week all of you effing effers ha!!!
    XRHondafan, XRLated, Barron and 3 others like this.
  17. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep the xrl engine is about 50kg on it’s own

The crf450r engine by comparison is only 29kg.

Massive massive difference
  18. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jesus you guys are lucky in the US. Such awesome riding available and free.
    Barron likes this.
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI, all those photos desert sled posted are on(or on the edge of) public highways. But to your point, yes, there is some nice off highway riding in the US.
  20. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bud it’s the combination I was referring to.

Not just off highway.

Thanks
    manx16 likes this.