1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. zipweee

zipweee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  2. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gearing, different strokes for different folks.
    Barron and enduro16 like this.
  3. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    one of the tabs is already snapped off on mine, so it’s only got the one arm.

also those acerbis tanks in my experience don’t always line up perfect so having a bracket i can fine tune is appealing.

also the $165 is for a subframe reenforcement that fits the fmf, not the bracket. bracket is $60 something
  4. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

DBA are great guys to deal with. I ordered a center stand from them after Cigar Mike went out of business a few years back. They have a way to reduce your shipping greatly. I would reach out to them and ask about this. If you need me to, I might be able to dig through some emails and find a name for you. But, I think you just need to shoot them a quick email at their info address or whatever and they will be able to help.

If you get hung up on this, please just let me know.

Or PM me.
    Freshdonuts likes this.
  5. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the pictures of the bracket, a vise, a drill, some files and a hacksaw someone out to be able to whip one of those out in a couple of hours. Three hours if beer is involved.
    Freshdonuts likes this.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    A piece of old bed frame, angle grinder, bolts, nuts and paint, you're done!
    As far as Acerbis tank fitment, the two tabs Acerbis supplies can be tweaked slightly to make them fit the stock tabs or any aftermarket tab. I'd they aren't lining up, the tank isn't seated properly. The biggest issue is getting the tank on the bike...which isn't that big s deal IMO.
    Freshdonuts and sdf like this.
  7. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Made the tank supports out of a 1/2"conduit pinched in the vice drilled and rounded the corners = free
    20190604_184500-1.jpg
    Frame supports scrap 1/2" bar stock and a little bit of time =free
    20150218_200431.jpg
    Barron, Bigbob1, thebigman and 3 others like this.
  8. Onederer

Onederer Crunch Nugget

Oddometer:

In reality, it's not free, unless you have dual personalities and one of them is a slave.

It's nice that you're able to build some things yourself, but count your time and rate. Keeping the skillset sharp is great, but motorcycles are for riding, relationships are for working on.

You're ahead on those modifications if your labor is at least $30hr, and that is low for fabrication.

Enough days spent fabricating trivial parts, running out of beer and still not finished, brings that free concept into focus.
  9. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First off im not a drinker so thats more money and time to spend on the bike be it riding or working on it. I would rather be working on the bikes that setting on the couch watching tv anytime. I would rather build what i can rather than pay someone for way over priced parts and labor. Why go to work so i can work 8 hours just to give my money to someone else for their time when i have lot of free time of my own and in the end say yeah i built that myself. And believe me the more time i spend in the shop or riding my bikes is my way of working on my relationship at home . If we spend to much time together that isn't good for either of us.
  10. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Working on stuff is therapeutic for me. And I can always get the results that I want. That's priceless compared to my last 20 years as an IT manager. Keeping business management and technical teams happy at the same time was a fucking challenge of epic proportions. And the hours sucked.
  11. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two equally valid viewpoints! I had an old professor from Germany whose specialty was Perspectivalism (Perspectivalismus?): truth at least sometimes depends on your viewing angle.

For sure no one can accuse Coffman300 of not getting enough ride time. I aspire to both his riding and his fabbing skills. Beautiful subframe brackets!

There's something to be said of taking pride in what you make, just as there is in searching out and acquiring superior work and happily rewarding the fabricator with compensation from your own particular different kind of work.

I'm doing the lion's share of the restoration on my GB, but I was happy to pay Dubya to take beat-up 30-year-old old hubs and do this with them:

DSC_0958.JPG

DSC_0957.JPG

And some absolute artist in Japan is taking old broken 30 y.o. gas caps and making them brand new:

Screenshot_2019-11-20-14-22-13-1.png

Super happy to reward these guys for what they are able to do.

Dunno if the DBA bracket would be worth it to me or not, but probably depends on my own time, skill set, and money in pocket.
    wreckedredrider and coffman300 like this.
  12. YYZ Rush

YYZ Rush Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went from stock to a stage 1 cam, high comp piston and an FMF pipe with 55/165 jetting. It pulls so hard from idle to about 5,000 with zero flat spots. Fueling seems very good. Its a very noticable difference from stock. The only thing is that I have no idea what part of the equation gave me the most gains. I'm thinking it was the piston but it does seem to work very well with the cam. Just looking at the stage 1 cam and comparing it to a stock cam reveals more duration but probably the same lift. From what I have read, that cam just gives better low end torque.
  13. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those look great. Ill be the first one to admit it when i cant do something and its time to call in a professional to do what i cant . Like i don't know sh*t about Motors that for mcma111 figure out. And if you are the type of person that just wants to ride your bike and pay someone to do all of the work on it thats fine too. We all have different skills and abilities. Personally i just don't have the funds to pay everyone to fix my stuff .
    XRLated likes this.
  14. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is good to know. i’ll screw with my jetting then. i have the big piston and the cam, so hoping it’s that.

also good points all around! i live in an 800 sq foot apartment and long work days at a new company i just joined. i’d love to fab but it’s not realistic right now. garage i use has a strict no wrenching policy. i also want a strong, high performer so it means buying the best parts i can find for now.

i’m splurging on two months at a community bike shop january 1, so i’ll get some therapy in, but it’s about all i can do.
  15. ricardoguitars

ricardoguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No wrenching policy?, for me that would be time to move somewhere else.
  16. McLaughc

McLaughc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First post to the board. Checking in from Chico, CA. with a 2016 XR650L.

I added a 4.7 Clarke tank and a few other little things after this pic was taken.

A709F1E8-3579-40BD-8F9B-FAD62E96BF6D.jpeg
  17. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great first post.
    McLaughc likes this.
  18. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E4539B93-0609-47D2-A242-4F4F3EC64C60.jpeg
    Smoke Creek Ranch Road .
  19. TheLastByte

TheLastByte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yall are going to think I'm out of my gourd for this, but has anyone here ever added a kicker to their bikes and then deleted the e-start?

The reason I ask is that my totally beat L stranded me on the trail last time I rode it with electrical issues, and I'm using that as an excuse to do a frame up restore and do some heavy modifications to make it more of a dirtbike. I genuinely don't mind kicking my bike over once in a while (all my other bikes are kickstart only), and doing this would save me the expense of swapping in a 600r engine which is probably what I would do otherwise.
  20. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    TheLastByte likes this.