XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of good aftermarket choices out there. Thanks for the tips and pics.

First choice is Honda original equipment, but I see that I've good choices if that falls through. Still no luck finding new Honda white OEM XR650L or XR400 anywhere.

Do the Acerbis and the Maier shades of white match up well with the OEM white side panels and white headlight cowl? Are both Acerbis and Maier fairly beefy like OEM?
  2. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    IMG_3287.jpg
    I don't know what you're talking about lol. Another take on that argument is that the 650L is compatible with MANY other bikes for parts, Honda is cool like that. Not to mention the amazing aftermarket support for the bike to make it what you want and to update the technology on it. I look at it like this, the manufacturer makes a bike that will appeal to the most people with getting into a niche. After someone buys the bike they can make it into exactly what they want based on what and how they ride with not a lot of trouble... unless you want to redesign the wiring harness, alter the transmission and make engine changes like I did. I really liked my 650L when I got it, but then it needed a skid plate, I wasn't happy with the fenders, I wanted better hand protection, a better seat, stiffer suspension... I'm happy with it for now, but I still need to figure out a different topcase/rack set up. To each their own.

-Barron
    mrmushman, thebigman, XRLated and 2 others like this.
  3. XRLated

Oddometer:
    That bike really has reached another level--congrats on getting it there.

I got a caribou adapter kit and I'm planning to experiment with multi-use/stackable type system on my rear rack (different brand than yours, but similar streamlined footprint) that allows me to instantly go from large top case to small top case to a maybe 2-3" thick box that holds stuff for every ride (tools, straps, collapsible bike basket, drybag, and such) and that can itself support a rotopax or collapsable basket, or lashed dry bag on its flat top, and that can instantly come off and then mount on top of the top cases when they are on the bike.

Screenshot_2020-01-17-08-13-05-1.png

We'll see how all that goes once my CT surgery let's me work on stuff again.

What brand is your rear rack again? And what is showing red under it: red fender or Honda red toolbag?

Edit: sorry, red frame! Let me know who makes that rear rack though--very slick!
  4. XRLated

Oddometer:
    Also, @Barron: is that an aftermarket seat? Seat cover? Custom upholstery job? Very nice. If you bought the seat or cover somewhere, please LMK the brand or source?
  5. XRLated

Oddometer:
    From your dog's expression, can't tell if it wants you to give up all this MC nonsense or wants to go for a ride....
  6. Sycklemotor

Sycklemotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got the fairing together.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the dash now.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the headlight on 20 %. Man this thing is bright on high! Fixed
    [​IMG]
    Photo of release pin to pull fairing off.
    [​IMG]
    Davidjohnson, thebigman, Hanz and 5 others like this.
  7. Sycklemotor

Oddometer:
    This is going on tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Taking my polished one off because I really like the black.
  8. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Very clean Sycklemotor, as your whole bike is. :thumb The dash on yours is incredible - beauty job. If you could give us an overview pic of your bike when you get a chance would be wonderful.:thumb
    I like your direction, and similar to the direction I am hoping to achieve. Not a desert sled, not a single track bike, not a rally bike, not a slab bike & not a SM either.
    In my case I will call it a regional tourer. It will do all of the above! In moderation and common sense of my aging old a&& of course. Travel light.
    Mine will never be as clean and upgraded as yours, but a regional tourer nonetheless. A plush get it done bike without any major discomfort. I have a 950 for the next level of touring.

I got this fairing yesterday and hope to have it on over the weekend. Accessory layout on the dash is the time consuming part. Here's to farkling! :beer

IMG_5800.jpg
  9. mbanzi

mbanzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a thing of beauty! The Lynx R is certainly not cheap, but looks great.
  10. Sycklemotor

Oddometer:
  11. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Thanks gentlemen. I am amazed the Britannia fairing is not more popular. Its no more investment than say a Swingarm, or wheelset or exhaust system. It is a nice setup.
    Maybe most of our XR-L's are bought on the cheap. And maybe most XRL owners are on the cheap too. No offense meant - its just a good bike for many on a tighter budget.
    My fairing will be a slow install and completion. Gotta get a couple of brackets and I will be away from my bike for an extended time soon.
    My issues are having a different than stock top triple clamp, key mounting and drilling for four accessory plug ins, plus the extra fuse box. I want to get it right.
    Snow is on the ground... I got time. I can't wait for my already selected rides to punish my buddies on this year lol. :deal:evil

First initial test fit.:bow

IMG_5810.jpg
  12. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the compliments on my bike.
    So the rack is a Nomadic rack that I got here....
    http://www.nomadic-racks.com/index....0L-XR250L-RACK-KIT/p/14710837/category=976080

It is an aftermarket seat put together by Renazco Racing who are AWESOME to deal with and the seat is very comfortable. They can be had here....
    http://www.renazco.com/

As for the dog, she keeps me company when I'm working but I'm pretty sure she'd pee all over me if I put her on the bike for a ride lol.

-Barron
  13. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    That fairing looks GREAT! When you get a chance to test it out, can you report how the light output is and how well the adjustable screen works?

-Barron
    Maxacceleration likes this.
  14. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Believe me im no being cheap when it comes to putting money into the bike i just do 98% dirt and dont want a windshield chopping me in the throat. Maybe thats why a lot of us on here don't see the need for one.
    20150526_195918-1.jpg
  15. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the look of your bike. The headlight setup is just awesome in my opinion.
    Hanz, Sycklemotor and Wattner like this.
  16. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  17. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Coffman, your bike looks like a performer no doubt, a very aggressive XRL. :thumb I like it.

BTW what tires you running? I don't recognize that tread.
  18. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front was a moto-z and i didn't like it . I normally run a bridgestone 90-100-21 x30 and a maxxis desert it 120-100-18 both tires are non dot but im only on the pavement to get gas .i changed the rear rim on my 03 yzf450 to an 18" so i can put a new tire set on it and after a dozen or so rides ill take them off and put them on the 650l and run them down to nothing.
    20160125_153656.jpg
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Johns right. Think about it. A molded plastic tank verses a steel frame. Which one is more likely to be the culprit?

The main issue I had with my 5.8 install was...there was no way the tank would fit(correctly) on the outsides of the metal bracket that mounts to the top tube of the frame. The bracket you're supposed to put the two Honda rubber grommets in the end of.

It created a center high point with the tank to where the front bolts would bolt up but there was about an inch or two of separation between the rear bolt hole in the frame and the tank hole and vise versa.

There's a molded indentation(for lack of a better word) on the tank that the bracket sits in. To make it all work together I would have had to pull the tank further apart to allow the tank to go lower towards the top tube of the frame. IMO that would have put undue pressure on the insides of the tank and would most likely cause issues(like a cracked tank) down the road. So I left it off.

I assume my tank is resting on top of the rubber grommet zip tied to the frame. It's too difficult to see under the tank. Anyway, it's been like that for a long time now with zero issues.
  20. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fingers - yea that was the one

Mbanzi - Thanks for the write up,I haven't been inside the USDs,thought it was just spacers which did the lowering whereas a groove in the outer damper is among things to achieve the lowering,thanks.When Race Tech did mine they lowered them 2" to match stock geometry.

Maxaccerelation - as stated 'weight loss thread' is a good resource. Battery is what probably does most-in-one-mod.

Barron/Stingman - Agree with both.If enough L-ove for it you'll spend time n $ to improve it,I personally (now lol) are more aware of its natural limits,tech improves
    ->CRF450L is its newborn sibling. Suspension seems as a first reasonable upgrade on a offroad bike.L's OE forks's overhang can be a disadvantage in the woods.But XRL has a wide plattform to transform on,I'm a XRL $pender.

Sycklemotor - your bike is looking very good,no longer the round headlight, meaning changed the terrain purpose ? i.e fairing/dash.
    Like the release pin, what bracket alongside fork is it attached to ?

XRLated as lookfar mentioned,XR6 white fender is available,others know if it has the wiring tunnel,or not.Some mount the wiring above the lower triple..