1. eNewsletter Sign Up

XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Coffman, your bike looks like a performer no doubt, a very aggressive XRL. :thumb I like it.

BTW what tires you running? I don't recognize that tread.
  2. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front was a moto-z and i didn't like it . I normally run a bridgestone 90-100-21 x30 and a maxxis desert it 120-100-18 both tires are non dot but im only on the pavement to get gas .i changed the rear rim on my 03 yzf450 to an 18" so i can put a new tire set on it and after a dozen or so rides ill take them off and put them on the 650l and run them down to nothing.
    20160125_153656.jpg
  3. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Johns right. Think about it. A molded plastic tank verses a steel frame. Which one is more likely to be the culprit?

The main issue I had with my 5.8 install was...there was no way the tank would fit(correctly) on the outsides of the metal bracket that mounts to the top tube of the frame. The bracket you're supposed to put the two Honda rubber grommets in the end of.

It created a center high point with the tank to where the front bolts would bolt up but there was about an inch or two of separation between the rear bolt hole in the frame and the tank hole and vise versa.

There's a molded indentation(for lack of a better word) on the tank that the bracket sits in. To make it all work together I would have had to pull the tank further apart to allow the tank to go lower towards the top tube of the frame. IMO that would have put undue pressure on the insides of the tank and would most likely cause issues(like a cracked tank) down the road. So I left it off.

I assume my tank is resting on top of the rubber grommet zip tied to the frame. It's too difficult to see under the tank. Anyway, it's been like that for a long time now with zero issues.
  4. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fingers - yea that was the one

Mbanzi - Thanks for the write up,I haven't been inside the USDs,thought it was just spacers which did the lowering whereas a groove in the outer damper is among things to achieve the lowering,thanks.When Race Tech did mine they lowered them 2" to match stock geometry.

Maxaccerelation - as stated 'weight loss thread' is a good resource. Battery is what probably does most-in-one-mod.

Barron/Stingman - Agree with both.If enough L-ove for it you'll spend time n $ to improve it,I personally (now lol) are more aware of its natural limits,tech improves
    ->CRF450L is its newborn sibling. Suspension seems as a first reasonable upgrade on a offroad bike.L's OE forks's overhang can be a disadvantage in the woods.But XRL has a wide plattform to transform on,I'm a XRL $pender.

Sycklemotor - your bike is looking very good,no longer the round headlight, meaning changed the terrain purpose ? i.e fairing/dash.
    Like the release pin, what bracket alongside fork is it attached to ?

XRLated as lookfar mentioned,XR6 white fender is available,others know if it has the wiring tunnel,or not.Some mount the wiring above the lower triple..
  5. Sycklemotor

Sycklemotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I originally liked the round headlight look. But had to change HID out to regular bulb to pass DOT hi/low. Kind of defeated the bad ass headlight. Also riding the bike as I do, on both street and dual sport, I realized I needed some wind protection. After a 300 mile day on the bike my shoulders were tired of fighting wind. I really liked the idea of having a super bad ass headlight controlled by the Skene unit to achieve a DOT approved Hi/Low using percentages of output. So now the Skene is set to 20% of headlight output for low and 100% for high. Hi is 4600 lumens.
    I was also never happy with the Vapor dash unit. I hated the wire to the front wheel, etc. Really did not care for anything about it. When I discovered the ICO unit, I was sold! That led to the dash layout I have now.I am already planning a dash update for next winter though!
    I used to be an A class single track rider, but after two shoulder replacements ( same shoulder) and a knee, those days are over.
    If I were to do hard and fast single track now I would probably end up with another loose shoulder socket, and need another replacement. Doctor suggests NO Riding, but that's a hard pill to swallow giving up something you love, and have done your whole life. I just need to really tone it down a notch or three.
    My riding these days is mostly a combination of street/trail. I do plan to take the bike to Utah, Colorado etc. soon though. I just have to be super careful of what I get into.
    enduro16, Bent Phorx, Barron and 2 others like this.
  6. Sycklemotor

Oddometer:

Forgot to answer your question as to the fairing brackets. It is a kit from Baja Designs, I'm pretty sure it is the same as what comes with the round Baja Headlight I had before. Reasonably priced, if I remember correctly about $20.00.
    Worked almost perfectly with the Rally Raid fairing. I really would have preferred the fairing be plastic and not fiberglass, but it is done now!
  7. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sycklemotor - Yeah the round headlight is cool,udst you had to change that one out for approval/type of riding you do nowadays.Never heard of Skene,took a quick look,which one do you have ?
    And how do you set it ?
    I bought the Voyager and already know the speedo wire will have to go when bike/me will tip over unlimited times.Also been thinking about the ICO,when I looked at their site,units ran on battery right ? So I opted not to buy(price too),but with time smtn changes your mindset..
    A class single track rider,impressive.
    And if you'd do it again (no health issues)what would you be on ?
    Ok so the fairing brackets are sold separately ?
    With so much time n $ into your bike I
    hope you'll have plenty riding time in the future
  8. zipweee

zipweee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    See balloon
    20200118_130925.jpg
    Chase balloon
    20200104_161358.jpg
    Catch balloon
    20200104_161411.jpg
    Sledred, Bhart89, thebigman and 6 others like this.
  9. Sycklemotor

Oddometer:
    Baja Designs does sell the brackets separately. Easier to call them though. Website sucks.
    ICO does work off battery or 12V power, does not draw much at all. Less wiring, sensors,brighter display, functioning rally computer etc. I think I'll like it.
    I have the Skene IQ-275. As far as settings, it would be easier for you to look at installation instructions on their website. Easier than me typing it all out. They have it readily available.
    It allows me to use my Honda Hi/Low switch with 20% on Low ( or any value you decide) and 100% on high.
    20% should be good for most street riding at night. On dirt at night, use 100%. Or Mexico at night- 100%!
    Not sure what I'd ride in single track these days. I was at my best about 1991-93. Rode hard every Sunday -year round for awhile. Lots of good choices out there, maybe a 300 RR Beta, or a KTM.
    Here is the bike I was the best on. And yes , we ignored the rear brake.It sucked. But man I could haul ass through the woods on that bike. Wish I would have never sold it. Some people had issues with their cranks, I never did. I changed gear oil every ride. Serviced A track bearings every ride. High maintenance, but I did like the bike.
    [​IMG]
  10. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Cool ATK Sycklemotor. Weren't they the first with no linkage in their rear suspension?? Was that a Horst Leitner design? The parallel chain tension looks Mert Lawill? Mert did similar on a XR750 Harley.
    Yes old school two strokes you changed the trans oil every ride or every other ride. Thats the way it was.
    I do it frequently on my KTM 200 (shameless plug). Not an A rider! lol :fpalm

IMG_0485.JPG
    enduro16 and buzzword like this.
  11. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Back to the XRL, I will use mine on two track 99% (besides pavement getting there). Slides and lifting the front wheel over rises in the road is my MO. Thats the best I can do... :fpalm
    I can't wait to ride... I have epic picture locations.

Back in the day, I rode my '85 XR600 in Las Vegas, and on the old B to V route. Fun times.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  12. Sycklemotor

Oddometer:

Nice KTM. I have two friends on those, and they love them for woods riding. I have not ridden one yet.Too many surgeries.
    The ATK was Horst Leitner. I rode with a very fast rider who had a 604 ATK.
    Sure wish I still had it. I loved the hand TIG welded , nickle plated frame. At one point I got it street legal and rode it on the AMA dual Sport Series rides. Rode some long wheelies on the street with it. One of my all time favorite bikes.
  13. buzzword

buzzword Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also love my KTM 200 but I believe mine is much older...

C12DC67A-7C6D-4738-9C15-5AD417AB3DBE.jpeg

thankfully I have good shop help. she even gave Steve a flower once!
    Bhart89 and Maxacceleration like this.
  14. Minidragon

Minidragon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sycklemotor
    Yeah Baja D. website ain't good, I'll contact them about those brackets.
    I did check ICO again and like you say they power off from batt or 12V.
    Definitely interesting by less wiring++,seems very sturdy,compared to Trail Tech units.
    I'll read up on the Skene IQ-275,I do like the
    independable adjustments.Those woods weapons you mentioned seems a better tool than our XRs : D. Thanks
  15. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dash looks great . If you dont like the edge of the dash you could use a strip of automotive door edge protection sold at any parts house . Thats what i put on mine and its been on for a few years now. 20190709_205530.jpg
  16. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    On a side note with my red Britannia rally fairing pictured above... The proprietor says amazingly, its the first red fairing to go out for the XRL. All have been white or black so far.
    His fav color is red for the XRL, so I better do it right to represent!
  17. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Question... How different are the XR650R & XR650L skidplates as far as cross referencing them for use on the L?
    Or the XR600 for cross use.
  18. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    I guess I stumped you guys. :smile6

I am acquiring an R skidplate to see how wrong or right it is.
    Both frames, the L and R, split to double down tube at about the same point. Similar side by side bolt up.
    Under frame mounting points?... Just to see if one could be adapted, as there are more choices.
    I am just trying to answer the question nobody is asking LOL.
  19. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The R will fit & better coverage but won't fit with a Sutton oil cooler installed.
    Maxacceleration likes this.
  20. Sycklemotor

Oddometer:
    Maxacceleration and gammel like this.