1. eNewsletter Sign Up

XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The dash looks great . If you dont like the edge of the dash you could use a strip of automotive door edge protection sold at any parts house . Thats what i put on mine and its been on for a few years now. 20190709_205530.jpg
  2. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    On a side note with my red Britannia rally fairing pictured above... The proprietor says amazingly, its the first red fairing to go out for the XRL. All have been white or black so far.
    His fav color is red for the XRL, so I better do it right to represent!
  3. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Question... How different are the XR650R & XR650L skidplates as far as cross referencing them for use on the L?
    Or the XR600 for cross use.
  4. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    I guess I stumped you guys. :smile6

I am acquiring an R skidplate to see how wrong or right it is.
    Both frames, the L and R, split to double down tube at about the same point. Similar side by side bolt up.
    Under frame mounting points?... Just to see if one could be adapted, as there are more choices.
    I am just trying to answer the question nobody is asking LOL.
  5. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The R will fit & better coverage but won't fit with a Sutton oil cooler installed.
    Maxacceleration likes this.
  6. Sycklemotor

Sycklemotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maxacceleration and gammel like this.
  7. Sycklemotor

Sycklemotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maxacceleration likes this.
  8. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody have one or know where I can find a Revloc Auto clutch for the XRL?
  9. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    As I read... Cracked or breaking 'subframes' seem to be real when loaded, or over loaded. Yet the bike comes with buddy pegs, Is there a recommended weight limit? Pavement only?
    I will not be running pannier racks... Throw over Enduristan Blizzard panniersin in medium (quite small). Medium GL duffel. I do have a Promoto tail rack on my bike. My travel weight will be under (bags/gear/personables) 50 lbs. I have not weighed my kit yet, but I know how I have traveled on other bikes. I do not over load.
    Should I be concerned with frame breakage? Should I not take my wife (150 #'s ;-) ) to lunch 40 miles away cause she will snap the frame?
    Just seeing what the general consensus is regarding this. I want to play it safe.
    XRLated likes this.
  10. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's what I know.....I'll load my XR up when it does single track in Colorado like I'm headed for a 5 day pick nick. Why? I don't know. Side bags and a top tail bag. Full of clothes and food/beer. I've put over 12K miles on it this way. (18K on the bike total) 3 pistons later, my frame shows no sign of wear. I won't be changing a thing for the next 12k miles either. Well, I hope my piston runs for that long....
  11. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the weight issue only begins behind the seat. Related to that is why most subframe supports bolt to the passenger pegs.

Honda didn't intend lots of weight to go on the fender. I think the max recommended load is 350lbs (if I remember) carried on the seat and 6lbs (if I remember) on the fender area (i.e. tool bag).

The seat is a bit short for two-up long rides. I'm currently talking to Renazco about building a "6" extended seat if I provide a modified 6" longer seat pan. I figure if I attach a beefy extension to the OEM seat pan correctly, then the weight won't be all that much over the fender, and whatever presses toward the rear has help from my subframe supports.

Another improved-comfort idea is just putting foam in the tool bag and putting on a topside case with back pad for when your wife is on the bike. The back support might help sufficently just in itself.

Up until now, I also found this to be an acceptable solution:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/xrl-owners-sign-in.114834/page-5456#post-34625586

I'm only thinking about the longer seat option now because I'm considering the Renazco, so why not two birds one stone?
  12. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I used the wife on the back as an example. She probably won't see the back of this bike.
    I think I will be ok. Throw over Enduristans and a roll duffel mounted lengthwise covering half the seat and the tail rack.
    My Rally fairing will not have a ride report anytime soon. I have fitment issues and electrical issues to work through. Not due to the fairing mfg, but being a used bike with different top triple clamp And the wiring harness being hacked, ending any plug & play which it is supposed to be.
    To add... I will be away from my bike for two months... back in April. I haven't forgot about you guys, but no progress for awhile. :dunno
  13. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My tail rack is mounted to the blinker bolt and the seat strap bolts and hangs over the fender and with 45ish lbs on it and riding it ike a motocross bike on a 400 mile all dirt 2 day camping trip i busted the whole rear subframe off. The only thing holding it together was the bolt holding the exhaust on and the seat bolts. Play it safe and reinforce it before it breaks. I've had zero problems since I welded it back together and added the truss and i still carry the same gear and probably ride it harder now than when i busted it . I busted it around 40k miles ago and lots of camping trips since then.

20180623_071300.jpg
    20150218_200431.jpg
  14. ricardoguitars

ricardoguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I managed to empty my new Acerbis tank for the first time, at exactly 200 miles it asked for reserve, then I drove 10 more miles to the gas station to fill it up again. I did mostly highway miles with stop and go traffic in between.
    How many miles do you get out of yours?.
  15. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Holy crap Coffman is that a small village in that duffle?
    I tried a pelican 1550 up there like that for a little while when I was commuting and the weight tortured me. Can’t imagine how that would handle, especially with my skills.
    Or lack there of.

As always nice ride. Looks ready for the next Mad Max movie.
    Sledred likes this.
  16. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol its not as big as it looks. Its a 80 liter water proof roll top givi bag that is only about half full and most of the space is filled with fluffy stuff like clothes and a pillow and enough mountain house food for 4 days. Around 45ish lbs. I have a msr water bag that i fill up on the last stop for gas on our camping trip because we do 98%off road and don't like to pack that much water all day.
    2016-03-13 16.41.07.jpg
    Barron likes this.
  17. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah with all of the weight up high and riding in deep sand i call it luggage whip. It can be a hand full at times but a few hours into the ride i don't really notice it much anymore . Almost every ride is over a 100 miles of dirt so i keep a day bag on the bike all the time with tubes , tools , oil , jacket , and a small tarp . So im use to having extra weight on the back .
  18. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same. I love it.
    ricardoguitars likes this.
  19. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 scooter trash

Oddometer:
    IMG_20150523_184959888_HDR.jpg IMG_20150918_171645949.jpg

Someone say XR? Here's 4 of them after a 280 mile day beginning in the sand, up to 10,000' back down to dirt roads and the final resting place in T or C, NM. Also included a pic of the BRP loaded up for a 4 day trip up to Southern, Co.. Sleeping bag and tent in fender bag. Heavier stuff in the saddle bags.

[
    gammel, Barron, coffman300 and 3 others like this.
  20. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got to ask...What in the world happened to that bike that caused it to need 3 pistons in 18,000 miles?