XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    I pushed it a couple of months ago and got 227 miles mostly running to and from work which is a mixture of city/highway and even some county gravel sometimes with minimal stops. I have gone 210 before reserve, but will normally put it on reserve at 200, just to be safe. It wasn't an intentional test to see how far I could go as I was doing a lot of coasting and praying. I also notice my mileage fluctuates a little between summer and winter blends of gas.

Greg
    Sledred and Barron like this.
  2. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody??
    rimtrail105 likes this.
  3. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've gone 235 miles on my Clarke 4.7 gallon. Best mileage seems to be riding with advrider groups. When I'm alone the wrist angle changes. 30mph in 3rd, 40mph in 4th seems to be the sweet spot for range.
    Worst mileage was in deep FL sand with K270 tires.
    My stock piston lasted 20,000 miles. Lots of that was in the lower two gears. It was barely using oil, but I wanted to get closer to 600R torque.
    The pitiful stock tank got me 70-75 miles to reserve, 110-115 miles to burnout. First thing I changed was the tank. It did not allow me to enjoy my pig.
    Bigbob1 and ricardoguitars like this.
  4. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    I feel very lucky when my Clarke 4.7 takes me 150 miles.
    Sledred and ricardoguitars like this.
  5. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can we chalk it up to a machine shop that I refuse to set foot into again? Let's just do that. 4k on current piston with zero issues.

On a different note, I have a chance to buy a Buell tomorrow. 2007 XB12. This will be in addition to my XR. Anybody ever ride one?
  6. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock engine with Dave's mods, riding easy on hard gravel roads. I went 235 miles a few times with just a spit left in my translucent 4.7.
    I've never gotten the best mileage on pavement in 5th gear. The L is disaerodynamic.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, I remember at least one of those episodes.

I have no personal experience with Buell's but I had a hankering for a X1 Lightning or M2 Cyclone for awhile. I got over it. My hearings bad enough.

EDIT: But now I just spent the last 1/2 hour searching the country for both. Thanks...:bluduh

:D
    FlatlandKSBrett likes this.
  8. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 scooter trash

Oddometer:
    No but I had a few S-1 White Lightning's. Fun bikes. The torque and handling factor was great. Sure miss those bikes....
    FlatlandKSBrett likes this.
  9. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 scooter trash

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200125_071216019.jpg Here's a few pics of the last s1 (silver) and the totalled one (orange). Truck turned left in front of me..
  10. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked into these a while ago, if I remember correctly (and I'm not sure that I do lol) Revloc had either a very short run or prototype for the 650L that never took off. Rekluse was the same way. You may need to call them, neither one had any offering for the 650L on their sites. These guys might be able to help too... http://efmautoclutch.com/dirt

Hope that helps.

-Barron
  11. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Thanks Baron. Revloc made one that I used before they went out of business, worked well, I sold it before I sold my Honda. Rekluse was going to use my bike to design one back around 08,09 but changed their minds. Bought one from EFM a few months back & even though they say we make auto clutches for any bike it stuck out so far that there was no way to install side case, but took it back & refunded purchase promptly.
    Barron likes this.
  12. buzzword

buzzword Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine had an XB9S back in 06 or so - it was torquey and fast, but VERY twitchy handling, even at low speed. I love the hopped up 883 sportster motor’s low-end torque. I bet the 1200 has better top end, if you care about that sorta thing.
  13. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I kinda bought a 2005 xb12r. The previous owner loved stickers. You can see a before and after pics of bike. I still love my XR, just needed a new horse in the stall. Not sure how long I'll keep it, just fun to tinker on bikes!!

Attached Files:

Slideways#96 and buzzword like this.
  14. buzzword

buzzword Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and pipe wrap!
  15. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Ok, back to the XRL. Finally got my Britannia fairing installed properly today. No fault of Britannia - just ineptness on my own part.
    Accessory plug-ins to drill for yet... Gonna be fun when its done.

IMG_5995.jpg
    Sledred, Bigbob1, gammel and 11 others like this.
  16. tuscan

tuscan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A1++++++++++++++++++++++

Superb:clap:clap:clap
    Maxacceleration likes this.
  17. trippin green

trippin green Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you guys deal with the 1-2 gap? I either feel like I'm ripping it in first, or lugging 2nd to low. As soon as I get the RPMs up a little in 2nd its fine. But using the low end there in the woods doesn't sound great, running 15/48.

Flying Pigs
    20200125_131711_039.jpg
    Sledred and Hanz like this.
  18. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    The short answer is that you change either first or second gear in the transmission... after you pull the engine and split the cases. Cool pic by the way.

-Barron
    trippin green likes this.
  19. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Try 14 tooth counter, Fritzco of course. Helps & doesn't really take that much off the top.
    Sportster Bart likes this.
  20. Olderslowerguy

Olderslowerguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or both!
    Barron likes this.