1. eNewsletter Sign Up

XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone who has an fcrmx

Does this work?

Athena Dual Spray Venturi Jet Kit for Keihin FCR-MX Carburetor
  2. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Out riding in southern AZ today. This is my 4th bike in the last year: 2015 KLR650, 2017 Africa Twin, 2019 CRF450L and now my very first XR650L. It's a 2015 model with only 550 miles I picked up a couple weeks ago. The KLR and CRF are now gone, leaving the AT and XRL "alone" in the garage until the Tenere 700 shows up this summer. Still looking for the "perfect" bike... IMG_1604.JPG
  3. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing is perfect in stock form you have to set it up to fit your riding style and needs . I don't believe there is any one bike that can do every great
  4. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Nothing is perfect in stock form you have to set it up to fit your riding style and needs . I don't believe there is any one bike that can do every great"
    Ain't that the truth...
    I'm 60 years old, been riding for 52 years and have had a grand total of 54 different motorcycles. I found the 4 most recent bikes to be VERY different from one another. For my current riding style I found that the KLR was smooth and comfortable, but too heavy. The Africa Twin is a great bike, but has soft suspension, and is WAY too heavy. The CRF450L had stiff suspension, was too light and too FAST. It always felt like it wanted to run wide open and wasn't happy at anything less. The XR650L has been a nice "compromise" so far. I like the weight, comfortable suspension, and smooth engine. The thing that stands out most among the 4 bikes is the feeling of sitting "in" the KLR and AT, while sitting "on top" of the CRF and XRL. I guess that's what makes them better off road bikes...
    Barron and XRHondafan like this.
  5. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a 16 AT (DCT) and a 96 XR650L, very different bikes but I love them both. I haven't done anything much to the twin, but I will say that the air dam (piece of plastic) that covers the shock channel was a great addition. It keeps my helmet from vibrating at speed. I've done a few things to my 650L to make it my own though.

The thing that cracks me up after riding the twin is how light and nimble the 650L feels, especially because when I'm riding the twin on road the weight seems to disappear. I set all the suspension 1 or two clicks off from full hard, and it made the bike handle and feel a lot better. I also put stronger springs front and back on the suspension of my 650L and it made a world of difference.

-Barron
  6. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing that helped me to "sit in" my XR was to lower the rear but keep the front at stock height. In addition to that, 2" Rox risers and better bars. I just bought my 28th motorcycle that I'm trying to set up, but man am I glad my XR is done!!

And no, I don't own all 28 still, just 2.
  7. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Almost sounds like the Three Bears story! I have considered selling my '07 XRL from time to time, but then I'll get out and go for a ride and that notion just goes away. For me, it's the ideal bike. I also had an '08 KLR650 before it and there's no comparison. The KLR's suspension was absolutely trash plus I was always paranoid I was going to drop it and destroy all that plastic.

Greg
    Barron and mrmushman like this.
  8. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like my 650l for most of my riding except single track and hwy . I love my 03 yzf450 with a rekluse for the tight stuff and short high speed burst. I have an older ninja 600r for hwy but hardly ever ride it . I prefer the dirt
    I have a friend that had a klr and tipped it ove in the garage the night before we were going to death valley and he showed up with duct tape all over it.
    Barron likes this.
  9. buzzword

buzzword Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    project bike is 98% done now. off the lift and on the ground!

BCB6BB65-F64D-4CFF-8C36-57D45A2A2220.jpeg

you like my 3rd world garage toilet and bike lift bolt collection? both pretty cool, huh?

still need to bleed the brakes, do a final bolt check, and install the speedo cable. fell asleep just thinking about it.

D7D3D3EA-2E96-4C33-A2A1-A0A44530AEED.jpeg

sounds really good by the way with the freshly ceramic coated + repacked XRs Only supertrapp with their open muffler cap and the SS header. can’t wait to rip it around a bit before the owner picks it up! and yes, I know the brake pedal is bent. it’ll get fixed.
  10. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Ya got enough wine there Buzz?

Are those the Adventure high bars?
    I'm running CR hi bend on 30mm risers and still too short for good fit standing on the pegs.
    Wondering how those would feel seated tooling around town? Ape hangers?
  11. XRHondafan

XRHondafan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Magnetic drain plugs for the Xr

Anyone suggest a brand and why its better ?

Or are they all the same?

And to be clear I require 2 magnetic plugs?

Is XRs only the best option ?
  12. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm sure there are tons of them out there that have never had any issues, but the only time I hear about them here is when they break off. As in the head of the bolt comes off when torquing it down.

-Barron
  13. ricardoguitars

ricardoguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set that I found on Amazon for a few bucks, that was like 10k miles back, no issues so far.
    XRHondafan and Barron like this.
  14. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @fritzcoinc: are you still in the magnetic drain plug biz?

Screenshot_2020-01-30-18-14-15-1.png

Attached Files:

Sledred and XRHondafan like this.
  15. buzzword

buzzword Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha! Good eye. That's actually mostly beer in large format bottles and also a bunch of mead in the wooden box.

Those are a Renthal bar of some sort - can't remember what bend, but I'll look next time I'm in the garage. They were on my KTM 200EXC when I got it, but I replaced them with CR hi bend for woods riding. They feel fine seated on this XRL with the fatbar conversion risers, stock location pegs, etc - but I have not ridden it yet so the ergo while standing up remains to be seen. I'm 6'2" with ape arms so it feels good to me.
  16. Snakeman99

Snakeman99 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stock Mileage Check: I filled my stock tank up to the filler neck and managed to run 90 miles before hitting reserve and when I topped it off, had traveled 96.2 miles on 2.08 gallons of gas for an average of 46.2 mpg. Those of you still running a basically stock bike, what kind of mileage are you getting?
    XRLated and ricardoguitars like this.
  17. ricardoguitars

ricardoguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran mine stock for 20k miles, Dave's mod, de-snorkeled, 55 and 158 jets, needle on the middle and 2 1/2 turns on the A/F screw. I got between 80 and 90 miles until reserve, stop and go traffic gives the lowest economy.
  18. XRLated

XRLated Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's good mileage.

I'm all stock and rarely get that good a result.

I love acceleration though. Very, very much.
  19. Bent Phorx

Bent Phorx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone tried it?

I have dusted off my CW bike, ordered new batteries, carb, jets, air cleaner box (CW cut the stocker up to put battery and electronics in it...) and will strip a bunch of stuff off of it. Been on the boat the last couple of years, now want some off-road again.

The Venturi kit looks cool, but don't want to delay the build unless it really adds something

Thanks!
    XRHondafan likes this.
  20. irrelephant

irrelephant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a Rallyraid fairing in the mail. It definitely needed a lot of trimming, fitting, and drilling to get it mounted, and it's still kind of wonky - but it sure blocks the wind on the freeway nicely.

fairing_front.jpg fairing_side.jpg
    Hanz likes this.