1. eNewsletter Sign Up

XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg,

He sent me a pre-production model. I'm sure he will be using the same light for the other brand dual sport bikes with different mounting brackets. I don't know what he will be charging. I ordered my original light before they were released. It will be worth waiting for the new model.

JNS Engineering likes this.
  2. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    I'd like to have had one a month ago when it was dark riding in to work. Since the days are getting longer, I can wait for a little while. Thanks for the info.

Greg
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. JNS Engineering

JNS Engineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, Steve!

I did initial test fitting at ProCycle and Steve was kind enough to provide a second fit check to confirm a few minor adjustments in the bracket design.

The DOT DRL can be powered independently but it is also internally powered when the low and high beam are powered. So IMO wiring the DRL independently is only useful if you have an off switch for your headlight and like to ride around in Euro semi-stealth mode.

5. JNS Engineering

Oddometer:
    The XR650L DOT LED headlight kit should be ready in 5-6 weeks. Like the original kit, it will be available in Chrome and Black.

6. Wookazoid

Wookazoid Tree Basher

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on when they will be available. You can ignore my message asking about that on your website’s contact page.

Greg
  7. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry what’s DRL? I’ll be wiring soon, and actually do like to have a headlight kill option, for stealth missions and for trying to be respectful to my neighbors.

Thanks in advance
  8. JNS Engineering

Oddometer:
    DRL = Daytime Running Light

9. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was doing some shopping on Rocky Mountain and saw this exhaust and figured I’d give it a try. For $199 figured I couldn’t lose!
    764A8032-EDDD-4C38-8ADA-E19F05098DF5.jpeg
    Barron likes this.
  10. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E3FE3B8B-631E-4E5C-9FBB-8CA4E9FEDAA7.jpeg 5CC5390C-C839-4818-8AE4-C0804E194CCF.jpeg Also picked up some hand guards and the polisport free flow fender.
    Hanz, Bors and mbanzi like this.
  11. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through the same debate last year. I searched all the old baffles, stock mods, looked at a lot of aftermarket exhaust reviews.
    The final straw was trying to grind out the old baffle and cutting into the exhaust. It took the fart whistle from bad to really bad.
    I threw in the towel and decided to go aftermarket
    With the advice of the good people here, I settled on the DG RST. It’s great. I don’t think it drastically altered my performance but it sounds way better and is pretty to boot.
  12. Pete Behn

Pete Behn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tootallpines, What carb and air box mods did you have when it got really bad? By worse, do you mean louder, or something else. I might just have to settle for the stock exhaust. I'm too old for loud. My Harley was loud-ish and I never really liked it. I like stealth for some areas I ride.
  13. Pete Behn

Pete Behn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mykdee, I like the look of that fender, but I also like the look of the oem one. I know, I'm different. My bike could use the extra air (assuming there would be extra) hitting the engine. I took the tank wings off and I would consider that fender you got.

Did you have to use spacers or re-route the wire harness? Do you know the part number? Thanks.
  14. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I definitely think it will allow more air flow on the engine. I had to reroute the wiring harness but it was real easy, there are exactly 5 plugs that you have to disconnect and they are all different so you can't mess it up. I used 2 washers in the rear of the fender to give it a little more clearance. I ordered it from Rocky Mountain and if you type in your bike they actually have the right fender pop up that fits our bikes.
  15. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    mykdee exhaust quiet, loud, how do you like it?
  16. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the spark arrestor in it is not too loud at all! Let me see if I can make a short video tomorrow morning and I will post it up. For the money I could not be happier!!
    AZ TOM likes this.
  17. mykdee

mykdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to upgrade the headlight, between the dated looks and poor performance, its time!
    Can I get some pics of what you guys upgraded to? I like the Trail Tech X2 but give me some options.
  18. tootallpines

tootallpines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m Jetted 55/158 with the top of box cut out.
    It was never a performance issue, I meant bad like the fart whistle stock exhaust gained a new pitch when I tried to cut the baffle out...made a hole...then I JB Welded it... then I just gave up and got the DG
    The DG is not too loud. I’m in state forests a lot and like to keep quiet. The RST is their “silent tech”.
    I think the DG is just a bit more aggressive and deeper toned than stock, not obnoxious though
    Pete Behn likes this.
  19. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    @JNS Engineering, hey John I'd be willing to pay up now if you were to offer a preproduction discount to us on the new light. It looks like the best plug and play option out there just got an upgrade. Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

@mcma111 thanks for the review.

70* here in Northern CA, and I'm fucking sick with a dick in the dirt cold.
    Been off work for four days and today the doctor told me I'll get pneumonia if I don't stop pushing it.
    When I told her Ive been off work for four days she just stared at me. " you're really sick"
    Thanks doc. Hope everybody else has done well this cold and flu season.
  20. coffman300

coffman300 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using the same fender on my bike from the time i bought it and haven't had any problems until i put a fork brace on . After a few hard hits i noticed a new noise when the front end would bottom out the the fender busted on one side and at the the mounting area. At first i thought its just old and it finally busted. So I ordered a new one and 50 miles into a ride it busted also and i was like wth is going on. Well it turns out that the fork brace was coming up and hitting it on the sides. I just put another new one on and i moved the fork brace down as far as it can go a took a Drimmle and notched the sides of the fender about a 1/2 inch. Put new seals and bushings and 10w oil in the forks so i hope i don't bust this fender too. So be aware if you are using this fender and a fork brace and ride hard enough to bottom it out you may bust your fender
    20190418_200550.jpg
    Hanz and Pete Behn like this.