XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just rebuild it. The 600 shock parts fit and you will be amazed how much better the suspension control is. You can probably do it yourself and just bring it in for the nitrogen charge. RaceTech has detailed instructions for Showa shocks if you want to check out what’s involved.
    Coast Crusader likes this.
  2. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disconnected the sidestand switch under the seat. Bike will start but dies when put in gear. Switch has 3 wires going to it. Yellow/black stripe, green/white stripe, and green (ground). What wires need to be connected together to make it run?
  3. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lectron carb is working fine on my L. It is a little different adjusting the idle using the two adjusting screws. But no problem. Bike starts easy and pulls hard. More riding is required. It's hard to compare after the engine modification. I love the new 2nd. Haven't put it in 5th yet. It has been years since I rode the bike. I'm not a reliable source for comparison.
    SAM13, Barron, Wattner and 1 other person like this.
  4. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I shorted the green and green/white wires together coming from the sidestand switch. I'd already connected the green and green/white wires at the clutch perch. Now it seems to have no safeties.
  5. Ghoti

Ghoti Sooper Brane Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question on the value of a 2004 XR650L. Not many examples for sale i can find in similar condition. It has the normal upgrades, Clarke tank, White Brothers muffler, carb mods, fork brace, Yada Yada Yada. 59,000 miles. Hasn't been ridden in a few years, just put a new battery and air filer on it to see how it ran. Not awful but probably needs the carb cleaned. Will pull the front wheel in first under throttle and doesn't smoke anymore than it ever did. Motor has never been opened, will need an output shaft eventually as the splines are worn. I have all of the original parts that have been removed.

Any thoughts? I would jump all over an offer of $2000 which is more than I think it should bring.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  6. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Looking for help here. Getting some lean miss, I think, 48/14 at 60-70mph, above 4000’ elevation. Buzzing along and then there’s a hesitation. Not a cough or anything but feels like a miss. Can’t duplicate the miss on the stand.
    Stock motor, fmf q4 w header, moose racing power up kit ( their needle 3 spots from the top, 52/165 jetting) and a uni filter, desmogged, snorkel still there.
    My 08, I did Dave’s mods and jetted. Got to say that bike had less power over 4K elevation and spent a lot of time in 4th at 5k and above. This bike pulls better but I’d like to get on top of that miss.
    Also no real wheelie power. Unless I clutch it up and even then I have to really nail it.
    You all talk about roll on wheelies and I’m jealous.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I remember 55/158 being thrown around as a sweet spot but how does that deal in the elevation. I live at 1600’ and trip up to 6500’ regularly, always with a little bit of issues.
    Thanks y’all.
  7. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow Supporter

Oddometer:
    It seems strange that it would be a lean miss. It should be richer with the gain in altitude.
    Freshdonuts and AZ TOM like this.
  8. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

Honestly P ,
    I think your fat across the board .
    Why not go to 52/152 Keihin jets , a stock shimmed needle and go from there .
    I'd bet some $$ that your rich .
  9. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Heya Marko. I thought the 165 was a huge jet too but it’s also a part of the moose racing kit that the prior owner installed. Who knows how that compares to Keihin.
    I’m hoping to pull carb tomorrow and change things up.
    I like the shimmed stock needle over the clipped idea too. Get er back to stock and then move forward. Kinda want to move along the Dave’s Mods path. Worked real well before.

How’s Nutsack?! Getting fat now that he has a good home?

@Cigar Mike, I can’t confirm lean miss it just feels like a miss. Not a hiccup or a cough.

Steve you have an opinion on Dave’s mods vs just tuning carb as is.
  10. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to a comparison chart between moose/dyno jet and Kehin jets.

https://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm

I didn't see 165 on the chart for the dyno jets, but that would land you in the range of 182-185 in Kehin jets, so I agree with Marko and Mike that you're probably just way rich and the higher altitude exacerbates the problem.

-Barron
  11. AzDust

AzDust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Breaking in some new shoes.
    And tubes of course. IMG_20201018_101855186.jpg
    thebigman, carlrf, Tritwin and 5 others like this.
  12. Coast Crusader

Coast Crusader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Electro shock therapy this mornin w/ the master.... some fried nerves, but It cranked! Closing in on the win! Humbled by his wisdom n service...... and unable to keep up with his thirst for good beer!

Attached Files:

Wattner and XRLated like this.
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't resist screwing with Johnny the other day. He has his shock out for a rebuild so I pulled out a spare Ohlins shock for him to drool over.

[​IMG]

carlrf and Barron like this.
  14. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's just... mean. :lol3
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m such an asshole
    Coast Crusader likes this.
  16. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever ran a paddle tire on their XR650L? Dedicated for the dunes only paddle tire?

I have ran CRF450R in the dunes for a few years, but I sold it cause I'm old. Now that I use my KLR for the flat dirt roads here in Kansas I've been thinking about making my XR into more of a dedicated dirtbike. I did run my XL600R in the dunes for a bit, but no paddle tire on it. It did OK. I'm not into jumping, so the stock suspension will be fine. My motor is strong with a new HC slug in it.
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The progress on Johnny's bike is at a real slow pace. Today was rear fender install with a small tail light, some wiring, air filter lube 'n install. Some other stuff.

Dash lights up and the engine will crank.

[​IMG]

My club foot is really putting a damper on things...

[​IMG]

RED HAMMER...

19. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is an extra Ohlins you speak of???

Bike is looking good! Header is scheduled for delivery mañana
    Barron likes this.
  20. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well...I'm madder than hell. Here is my "New" RAD front wheel that arrived today, I waited for weeks for the wheel. I'm giving them a day to see how they handle the situation before I light them up. Looks like ten year old mild steel soaked in saltwater. They advertise "Top Quality Stainless Spokes, We know wheels". My ass. The tape holding the spacers to the wheels has been on there for a LONG time, leaving a residue that fresh tape does not leave. The red anodizing looks faded and a terrible shade. WTF??? I paid for the "Top of the Line" hub and wheel. What says you? IMG_1222.jpeg IMG_1223.jpeg IMG_1225.jpeg IMG_1229.jpeg Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.54.41 PM.png