XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    I say they need to send you a new , brand spanking new one ,
    and let you keep the civil war model as a consolation prize .
  2. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's really terrible. Did they think a customer would not notice?
  3. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wattner, those spokes look like they have been used before . See how some spokes are bent near the hub, not to mention the pitting .
  4. spezjag

spezjag Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is really disappointing. I was looking forward to getting one of their rear Cush hub wheels.
    Coast Crusader likes this.
  5. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The spokes look used and old for sure...I am not comfortable riding with this as it appears there is enough pitting for a spoke to fail. Not safe at all. I am beyond perplexed as to how anyone could sell this as new and especially stainless spokes. Looking on the Excel website, they sell the Notako rims as an economical aluminum alloy (cheap?) with economical high carbon spokes (cheap?), while their (RAD) website clearly states they use stainless.

Looking at the invoice and website again, I thought I was ordering(I did this over the phone...) one of the "Flat Track Fronts" that show a Phoenix or Eagle hub with stainless spokes and a choice between a Behr and Excel rim with heavy stainless spokes and nipples. I see that is $500, plus lace and true is an extra $60.00 (not included) in set price. The invoice, #100 is not detailed but is for $520.00. They did call and I explained that I wanted a set to match the rear Cush that I had bought years ago. I do not recall if they asked about the lightweight Griffin series. I do recall them asking if I wanted a "bling" or classic look and I said whatever matches the Cush rear and never would have gone for the lightweight anything (Griffin is their lightweight show bike series)or anything but stainless spokes (always on everything...Duh). Dummy me to not get everything in writing upfront I suppose, however I trusted that I was getting the matching set as discussed along with heavy stainless spokes and nipples (once again to match the rear which is heavy stainless).

I'll definitely give them a chance to make it right, but at present I feel duped. Redemption is but an action from them away. Buyer be warned! I will be more than happy to jump back on here and say they they took care of it and all his ok, if that indeed happens.
    From the Excel website:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.40.26 AM.png
    The Hub I have is stamped Griffin but does not look like the picture, as the hub is all red (or a weird shade of red anyway)
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.49.10 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.53.26 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.54.21 AM.png This all really sucks, as I was wanting to mount up the new tires I bought to fit and head up to N. Georgia and get a ride in this weekend and next week. This almost feels like 2020 COVID wheel chapter. Update to follow...Ugghhhh
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even the spokes on my daily rider that lives outside 24/7 a mile from the Pacific Ocean doesn't look anywhere near that bad nor does Johnny's 94 and he lives AT the beach.

Shove it up their ass.

A while ago I asked Keith at KSR Wheel where I buy my Excel rims to source me a new Rad rear hub like the one he did some years ago. He said he wouldn't have anything to do with Rad...

That wheel build:

Notice the depth and color of the anodizing compared to Wattner's hub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I smell a Rat! Hope you can get it remedied! Even if they sent it to an 80 year old Man with less than good vision would not be acceptable:D
  8. thebigman

Oddometer:

So let me ask the both of you @mcma111 and @Wattner , or anyone else in the Peanut Gallery that cares to answer .

Why the change in vendors , wasn't it someone on this thread that put together the proposal sent to Warp9 for
    them to produce a Cush Hub for our XR650L's ? And if I remember right everyone was ecstatic with they rec'd their
    units from them . Nothing but rave reviews about the Fit , Finish , ease of Installation , Customer Service , etc , being 1st class and top notch .
    I can't remember reading anything negative about them other than their gloss black hoops turned
    to a burnt bronze over time , and that was probably 10 yrs and they made it right when it was brought to their attention . In fact , I bought a set
    of the early Sumo sets in black they produced early on that in fact turned the bronze color , they offered for me to return them , they would remedy
    the problem and ship them back at zero cost to me . I decided to keep mine and now have a 1 off color , pretty much . :rayof

Only problem I've had with their wheelsets in the past were some broken spokes , a couple of times actually , and a few more than I've busted
    on any OEM wheelset , along with Sun or Excel hoops on Talons sets , but I have busted some on them as well .
    I can say that Warp9 sent me spokes out each time free of charge and put extras in the 2nd time so I
    wouldnt have to wait the next time it happened . And it hasn't .
    In their defense , I'm sure it was the heavy stress I put on them , at close to 300lbs geared up , were talking 650lb load
    on a set of dirtbike wheels that I thrashed up and down on the citys concrete stairways from bank buildings , insurance companies , and my favorite the Seawall stairways that go from the sand up to Seawall blvd , along with other Hooligan shit I used
    to do in my mid 40's . Showing off at a perfectly natural set up Jump at a Mcdonalds parking lot prolly over a hundred times ,( drive thru line had a nice show to watch while waiting on their nuggets and hot & spicies ) the so many flights of stairs ( the sounds of banging and clanking noise the L makes when thrashing them , talk about a squealing pig ) and other stupid shit .
    Anyway , the point I'm making is the Warp9 set I run have survived the overweighted abuse threw at them and the still live to fight the good fight
    five to six times a year . I'd buy these over and over again .
    Also I have nothing to do with Warp9 other than a very satisfied customer .

So help me understand guys , Why would any of you use the Rad product ?

Has something changed with either of the two companies , bad , good , or otherwise ?

big
    Coast Crusader and AZ TOM like this.
  9. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the RAD Cush rear before warp 9 was making the Cush hubs back when CW did the original build on the bike

I thought I’d go with RAD to get a matching wheel and spokes. I am happy with the rear hub, so was hoping the front would be the same and with the excel upgrade assumed I’d be good to go. Nowhere on their website does it say anything other than heavy stainless spokes or almost red hubs

I bought a set of Warp9 wheels, pegs, kickstand etc for a new 500EXC build as I think they make good stuff, although I have a nickel plated hub from
    Them that is pitting... living in salt air I won’t blame them

never again with RAD though. Email remains unanswered and I’ve called them several times today with no answer

Im pissed...

I’ll try calling them from my daughters phone and if the don’t respond by the end of the day I’ll go all over the internet and share my experience to let others know

grrrrrrrr
    Coast Crusader and thebigman like this.
  10. thebigman

Oddometer:
    @Wattner

pm me your invoice # , I'll shoot em a call from this 409 area .
  11. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine wrestling that pig in the dunes even with a paddle. I've road a WR450 and KDX220 in the dunes. I put a paddle on the 220 and it works, but the 450 would work better. Unless you plan to run fairly straight routes, say down a dried up river bed, horsing that 650 in curves and over berms is going to get tiring in a hurry. I always thought the CR500 or KX500 would make a great dune bike. If you are only going to use it for dirt, and you don't need street legal, a 450 class bike works great. Unless you are a big guy to begin with, but then the 650R probably works better.
  12. ricardoguitars

ricardoguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, there are so many businesses doing funky stuff lately, I wonder if they are struggling to make ends meet due to the pandemic, not that it justifies shitty service, but it makes you think.
    I have had bad experiences this year on eBay, Amazon, and XRs Only.
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just called Rad. Went right to answer machine.
  14. Fitz57

Fitz57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 2 sets of Rad Hex hubs (no longer made) and need spokes for one set. After reading these reports I’ll Look elsewhere. Maybe Buchanan
  15. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Man that sucks. I'm really interested to see what they do. I hate stuff like this. I know they are trying t get back on their feet with some new management, but if this is what they are sending out I will make sure to tell everyone I know to steer clear of them. Used spokes on a newish wheel? Faded possibly used hub? If you haven't already sent them pics it might be fun to make a dummy email account, send them pics of the wheel. Tell them you just got it and ask if they can tell you what year it was made and ask them if it's ok to ride with the spokes on it. When they tell you it isn't new and the spokes are smoked, copy and paste the response into your real email account and FLAME SPRAY THEM. That's what I'd do if they don't fix it first.

In addition to not sending you new merchandise, the bigger issue is safety. I hope this is a one time thing that they did, but you may be one rider in a long line of pissed off customers. I'm sure there are lots of people that would like to know about a company selling unsafe motorcycle parts. Government people, lawyer people and all of us potential customers.

-Barron
  16. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Some years ago I rebuilt the wheels on my KTM 625 SMC. Buchanan's didn't have the spokes in their records so I sent them one of each that I needed and they made them up for me.

spezjag likes this.
  17. Sycklemotor

Sycklemotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now THAT's a set of wheels!
  18. Sycklemotor

Sycklemotor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm very happy with my Original Rad cush hub and Excel upgraded rim and spoke set. But I would be calling my credit card company and filing dispute on that hub and spoke set Wattner received.
    It seems almost inconceivable that a company would send that out. Truly WTF.
    Coast Crusader and Barron like this.
  19. Mkdunn24

Mkdunn24 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got an old 1993 650l, thing hasn't been started up in 15 years... all the electrical wiring just got replaced and am receiving a spark, but still won't fire up. I am by no means an expert when it comes to working on bikes, any and all suggestions on how to get this hog running will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Matt

PS I am a broke college kid, so I would rather do it myself
  20. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Well.... Does the engine turn over when you crank it? There are about a thousand things it could be.

First things first, do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?

I'll be happy to help you with it, but I need to know what you do or don't know about working on the bike. I want to cover as many things as possible, but I want to make sure you know what I'm talking about. The OEM wiring on this bike is pretty simple.

Does it have fresh gas in it?
    Have you cleaned the carb?
    Do you have a service manual?

Pictures also help a lot. It might not be pretty now, but we'll get you there.

-Barron
    Coast Crusader and AzDust like this.