XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Invoice #100

they haven’t answered calls or texts all day from y phone or my daughters line

this is the same text number I sent pics of my existing wheel to make sure it matched

I took the wheel outside in some really good light

you can see where a tire had been mounted. Fresh scratches that show raw aluminum plus others that were painted over

War now

fucker
  2. Wattner

Oddometer:
  3. Wattner

Oddometer:
  4. Mkdunn24

Mkdunn24 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I currently have the gas tank off and have been using starter fluid to try and start it. I am getting compression to the engine, the carb is cleaned, no service manual. worth noting it was kept in a barn for those 15 years. Pictures will follow.
    Barron likes this.
  5. Fitz57

Fitz57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have spokes for 17” rim and need 18” and 21” guessing I could send them 17” spoke and they could figure it out
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I don’t think that’s gonna work
  7. ricardoguitars

ricardoguitars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would try with the gas tank connected and gasoline instead of starting fluid, these things can be stubborn on start when cold, specially if not jetted correctly, the starting fluid will evaporate faster than it could take to have a good stroke.
    Is the choke functional?.
  8. Mkdunn24

Mkdunn24 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Choke seems to work. ill throw the tank on it and report back.
    ricardoguitars and Barron like this.
  9. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Coast Crusader likes this.
  10. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That would be a good idea for anyone that wants to worry about other things on their bikes.
    Wheel below... 740lb+ Off-Road sidecar duty. You supply the hub & rim and they'll custom cut the heavy-duty spokes. In this case polished stainless-steel. Buchanon is the tops:

11-8-10 041.JPG

If I had any questions the guy that put it all together for me (in this case Angel) left notes and his number on the inspection tab:
    IMG_3275.JPG

11-8-10 040.JPG

These are Russian steel rims and this (top & bottom) are the "pusher", the rear-drive wheel. Takes a lot more punishment than anything you'll ever do on a 2-wheeler even if you do ride up and down steps. I've never had to even tighten one of these Buchanan spokes even after 10 years though I check them often. Not inexpensive but if you intend to keep your bike for a long time it's worth the investment.
    They were my go-to guys when I was working on British cars. All Wire-Wheels were automatically sent right to Buchanans.
    11-8-10 039.JPG
  11. jfk22

jfk22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you use a credit card with good consumer protection? I'm happy to say I haven't needed it very often but this is exactly what it's there for. I'd say you've done enough with RAD, time to contact your card company and get them to fight for you.
    Cigar Mike likes this.
  12. jfk22

jfk22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Did you replace the oil, filter, gas, etc first? After sitting that long I'd go slow in bringing it back to life. I'd also check for mice leaving crap inside the intake or exhaust. The carb probably needs servicing after sitting that long.

If you have spark and compression you should be able to get it to start on starter fluid. Did you check compression? For the starter fluid: remove air intake, open throttle, small squirt inside carb, close throttle, attempt to start. If it fires up or acts like it wants to run you can focus on the carb and fuel delivery. If it won't start on starter fluid recheck your rewiring job. The ignition module on these bikes can be problematic, look it up. Either here or on Thumperalk is an excellent writeup on them, don't get the el cheapo units on ebay. It sounds like you have it cranking. If not, there's a couple safety circuits that prevent cranking when kick stand is down and in gear that can cause issues too.
    Coast Crusader, Barron and Mkdunn24 like this.
  13. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Valve adjustment?
    thebigman and ricardoguitars like this.
  14. Mkdunn24

Mkdunn24 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes, all fluids replaced. so I tried what you said with fluid and if I held it wide open and sprayed it in there it would start up. my mistake for leaving the garage door down and am now deaf lol. I had it running for the second or two, then it would stop.
    I also noticed that the starter will crank if in the off position too. I've never had an electric start bike, is this normal?
  15. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    This is what i say also ,
    after the valves , still find a way to do a compression check , then I would say choke adjustment can cause a no start , even with starting fluid , don't ask how I know .
    Valves / compression / choke
  16. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Update:

the guy called from RAD and swears the rim is new out of the box and the spokes are stainless just not polished and the brown marks are a protective coating

he says he wants me to be happy and make it right but the only way he will do that is for me to return the wheel. I don’t believe him, and found a guy to install new spokes Saturday and get me rolling

I applaud he wants to make it right, however I’m not waiting another month

chalk it up as a lesson learned, I’ll not use him again
  17. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    That sucks man. Thanks for sharing though. I know I will not forget this anytime soon. I also don't believe him that the rim is brand new, the spokes aren't polished and the brown is a protective coating. I think you made the right decision not sending it back, there's no telling what you will get next or how long it might take.

FWIW, I got a warp9 cush hub/wheel built and delivered in just over two weeks from https://www.thecyclehouse.com/

-Barron
    spezjag and Wattner like this.
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Protective coating my ass. Stainless steel spokes don’t need any protective coating. Does it rub off? Doubt it.

This is a new set of Buchanan stainless steel spokes

upload_2020-10-22_12-20-47.jpeg
  19. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stainless steel often needs a passivation process to best protect the surface. Some stainless is stronger but prone to discoloration or oxidation. Other is shinier but possibly not as good a fit for a given application. At work a lot of stainless parts we use undergo this process. Rotating shafts are one off the top of my head.
  20. Wattner

Oddometer:
    Nothing rubs off...There is deep pitting and looks like someone used a scotch brite pad as there are swirl marks in multiple directions. Now, I pulled the other wheel off so I could take it with me to make sure everything is working. The spacers with the new wheel for the outside are a smaller diameter than the inside spacer and bearings. Nothing works. I guess I'll have to source a new inside spacer and new bearings as well. Real shit show regardless of his claims.

No idea what kind of outfit would ever allow this to be sent out. I'm going to get it straightened out on my own, chalk it up to dummy me and move on. I can always make more money and replace the expense, but shit service can't be undone. It's more than fn with me...It's the bike man. He fd with the bike. Don't f with a man's bike:D

FWIW, I installed an old RAD front wheel with a sand tire on it that I found in my warehouse, looks great! On the rear, I installed a warp9 non-cush that has a Teraflex on it just to roll it back in the trailer. Hopefully we get everything just right and I'll be bolting up the new tires on the old Cush rear and newly rebuilt front with new spokes, bearings and spacer on Monday night. We'll see what other surprises we are in for.

I did send warp9 an email asking if they could make a 19" front, no word back so I'll jump in this rabbit hole for now. Joy
    Barron, thebigman and AZ TOM like this.