XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

@Wattner I feel for ya bro , this really sucks .:puke1

To the Peanut Gallery , this is just a ramble with all the WHEEL TALK , and the pretty wheel pics
    being posted , plus Wattner getting burned and so on .
    I'm Gonna say . This is my weakness , yes it is , I do love me some pretty WHEELS, dirt and street .:nod

We all like , or I think most of us would like a " Prettied Up Wheelset " for our bike .
    ........................ that's our main BLING , that and exhaust ....Right ? ..........
    I want my bike to be nice .

So the situation with Wattner just makes me think dam, we all pay top dollar to have nice things , and along with
    that , we expect good customer service ... Wow , just fucking wow to this whole ordeal .
    We spend alot of money on extras , just give us what we paid for please .

This shit is expensive..
    Wheels and Exhaust , main individual costly items , mostly .
    1200 , 1500 , or more for a 1st class Wheelset w/ big rotors , new tubes and tires
    Another 500 for a complete exhaust . 2k is alot of $$ to spend on a bike like ours .
    We want our bikes to be " The Shit " don't we ? I know I try .
    Oh man , I'd love to have a big finned head , that would be a nice treat for me when I grow up .
    But that job turn key for parts and labor and back and forth shipping , over 600.00 in my estimates .
    Nice mod that's very functional , plus it looks good to . Above my pay grade for now .

Yea there's alot of other shit that's BLING to .
    From Seats to bars , risers , oil coolers , and big finned heads , custom rocker covers , bigger tanks , custom snails , rear racks , pannier racks ,
    front racks , better lighting , frame guards , skid plates , caliper guards , sharkfins , windshields , pegs , braided hoses ,
    special coatings , etc , etc , etc .

Almost all are all a functional thing for each individual , and that's great .

So , when you show up to a group ride , or solo riding and pull over for fuel , drink or food , and another motorcycle guy or whoever approaches , the 1st thing they notice ............Is the eye candy . OUR BLINGY BLING ................our machines makes us who we are at that time and bike we're riding .

And you all know this , so don't go denying it , or lying about this shit dam you . :D
    When someone compliments your machine to the effect of , dam that bitch looks good , or says dude , your bike sounds awesome . Or
    whatever it may be . Ya gotta say it makes you feel dam proud of how your representing , and what you put together .
    You want your bike to be nice .

So with all this said , we are all relatively the same when it comes to our motorcycles .
    We spend ASS LOADS of Money , and time , Oh Lawd the time , wrenching and fitting , and cleaning and polishing ,
    and whatever else make us HAPPY , NO MATTER THE COST , so we can ride the bike THAT BEST REPRESENTS US / YOU .
    ............................................." And Look and Feel Dam Good While Doing It " .....................................

.......................................................NOW CAN I GET AN AMEN :ear ..................................

So Jeeeezuuuz....... I'm long winded with these new meds I'm taking , I remember back in the early days here in this thread, I'd be posting stupid shit
    in the middle of the night not knowing what the hell I was doing and saying , wow , just wow .:dunno
    That was when I was what I called , on my evening cocktails , Couple bottles of red wine , 3 or 7 Vicodin ,
    and my Nitrous , which was Ambien . I was partying hard and didn't even know it .:loco
    I'd know I was posting out my ass when I'd wake up to a dozen pm's of harassment and laughter .
    Here I go again rambling on , dam these new meds . I apologize fellas . :deal

So really , all of this bullshit above :topes leads to what I want to tell this group , while I'm chillin behind the keys and
    in a playing teasing mood .

Please give yourself 5 minutes and enjoy this truthful , stupid , funny Vid ...... THIS IS THE WAY EVERYONE ONE OF US ARE ....

Wrapping up , I'm gonna personally call out my boy that's not here that much anymore @techforlife along with
    @Freshdonuts @Wattner @Sycklemotor @mcma111 @Olderslowerguy @Barron @LexLeroy @AZ TOM @Cigar Mike and all yall other
    fools in the Peanut Gallery that think yalls bike is Da Bomb . Yea right , It aint shit :lol3

....................So Dammit , None of yalls Bike is Tight as Mine.................

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And ya gotta have pics with a post like this .
    My Black Rims Gold Hubs for 650L

blackgold1.jpg

blackgold5.jpg

A little bit of Talon greatness with the speedo drive for us that like mechanical drive .

blackgold6.jpg

blackgold7.jpg

Yall know I just been talking shit . :lol3:imaposer
    I'm wo out now , headache and all .
    Over and out for now .:wave

I'll Hollar .
  2. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My kids bike. Excel rims, Talon hubs, XR600 rear and a XR650r front for the odo drive. Moto Master 320 mm front rotor and four piston caliper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    XRLated, thebigman, carlrf and 9 others like this.
  3. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bling isn't my thing. Function is.
    XRLated, CPAT and LexLeroy like this.
  4. Wattner

Wattner Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can agree with function

unfortunately Honda delivers mediocrity extraordinarily

to get function of your expectations or abilities requires modification like on any bike

the 650L is one of the longest produced motorcycles ever

the level of modification is you're and you're alone to the level you can use or desire

if you’re a simpleton ( no disrespect... i have a stripped down off-road street legal version also)and that is your thing cool

for some of us, we bling and build then ride

some ride and add as required to meet their needs

I raced an L when it wasn’t cool, now I want to ride a bike that is set up for my needs now

best to all!!!!
    thebigman and Barron like this.
  5. greyrider1

greyrider1 old tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you get some satisfaction out of RAD and they sort that shit.

Just a word on the RAD cush hub for the L. I had trouble free service since I bought it about 6 years ago(had issues dealing with Rad as well), but wednesdays ride was cut short with a squeeling noise developing in the rear of the bike. At first I thought it was the brake but soon realised it's the wheel bearings. I got home ok but what I found was the spacer between the bearings had dropped onto the axle (probably on my last tyre change), and loaded up the bearings unevenly.

Upon inspection there is nothing to centre the spacer except friction of the bearings on first installation. So make sure that spacer sits correctly between the inner races of the bearings.

Ideally the existing bushings should be long enough to extend through the bearings and inside the spacer but they dont. Will find a fix but wont be contacting rad.
    20201023_144505.jpg

20201022_154601.jpg

Another thing worth mentioning, I installed a speedy sleeve onto the seal surface of the bushing when it was new to extend the life of the bushing
    20201022_141950.jpg
    spezjag likes this.
  6. originalspacerob

originalspacerob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Rad cush hub from about 7 years ago. Its been great except the bearings. No rust on stainless spokes. Those spoke are not stainless on Wattners. There is no lip seal on the outside like the stock hub andthe Warp 9. Eventually after some minor mud and some water the water works in. I found replacement bearings that are the right specs. They are pretty standard bearings they use. Rad was out of business when I needed them. Also, the cush rubber couldnt be found. Even Woodys couldnt get them. I found stock KTM ones will fit off one of there 690’s i believe. The sleeve is a good idea also, the spacers are aluminum and a groove can wear in them quickly. I believe Lindon Poskitt was running Rad on his KTM for races to places from woodys. Surprised he didnt have bearing issues since those dont have the extra seals either.
    I was gonna get a front to match my rear but I will hold off for now if they are treating customers like this.
    greyrider1 and Coast Crusader like this.
  7. Fitz57

Fitz57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spokes for Rad hub finally. I have been trying to find spokes for my 15 year old Rad Hex hubs, tried Rad mfg last January with no luck. After numerous emails with Angel at Buchannons I’ll be sending in sample spokes of my Front and rear 17” wheels. They will then be able to make a set of spokes For My 21” and 18” Rims.
    Wattner likes this.
  8. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget to send in a nipple so you get the correct diameter.
  9. Fitz57

Fitz57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, and they want the measurement across the inside of the 17” rims
  10. xrmike

xrmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Angel is still there. That's great.
  11. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't want to do a big post on spacers, but I had to deal with 'em when I transplanted a set of SV1000 wheels onto the XRL's big brother - my DL1000. The SV's axles are 25mm front and 28mm rear, while the DL's axles are 20mm front and rear. I found a bearing with a 20mm ID that fit both wheels but I had to make some spacers that centered on the axle and centered well enough in the wheel to allow the axle to not hang up on the spacer during insertion.

Here's my spacers, a replacement bearing and the factory spacers. You can see how I used aluminum tubing JB welded around and in some DOM tubing that was cut to the right length and squared off. This is the kind of crap that I ended up thinking about when replacing bearings or doing wheel swaps.

[​IMG]

You might be able to something similar with your spacer to keep it centered on the axle.
  12. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Here is some function . Maybe not for you in the Ozarks . But it functions just fine for someone I'm sure .

Function for me , Wheelie down the seawall . Then Bling for me . Stop at The Spot , ( a moto stop for food ) and watch the crowd gather .:lol3

xr6a.jpg

xr6.jpg
    Wattner, buzzword, greyrider1 and 6 others like this.
  13. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I
    I got a chub.
  14. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Yeah man. I like having my bike look good. It's been through more than a few iterations as my needs changed. I went from a medium commute that was mostly highway with a bunch of offroad on the way home to a very long commute on slab to a short commute through city roads. I like making my bike fit my needs, but I really like when it gives me an excuse to get something new to put on it... like now that we can't get XR600 counter shafts anymore I finally got a cush hub to help protect the damn shaft from wear. I know it sounds dumb but I'm running out of things to play with or modify on my bike and I've begun entertaining the idea of getting another one lol.

-Barron
    thebigman likes this.
  15. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Aloha Friday!
    @greyrider1 stop me if you’ve heard this. that set up is identical to BMX bottom brackets and lots of sealed bearing bicycle wheels. When bearings are installed the press itself centers the spacer with out anything to hold it in place but bearing preload. Stops the axle preload from compressing and deforming the bearings. Once the bearing is good and worn though enough play develops to allow the spacer to move ( drop in your case ). Spacers that would allow a centering shoulder would reduce axle size for a given bearing. Big balls in bearings and big axles are way stronger than precisely fit spacers, smaller axle, and smaller bearing balls.

If the spacer was loose enough to move with a wheel swap I’d say you’re due for new bearings.
    Either that or you hit the ground crossed up and it flexed the swingarm enough to cock the hub. Still means addressing the bearings.

Speaking from a competent high end bicycle mechanic point of view. Opinions may vary.
    greyrider1 and Barron like this.
  16. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    Marko you getting buzzed and talking to cats?
    Told ya it would happen.
    mcma111 likes this.
  17. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Wattner

If Warp9 strikes out, you might give Dubya Wheels--(part of the White Bros. clan)--a try:

https://www.dubyausa.com/

I have a Warp9 cush on my XRL, nothing but good things to say, but I get the impression Dubya can do anything you want custom. They did an amazing clear ceracoat mirror-polish on the 30yr-old OEM hubs, SS spokes, and Excel rims for my GB500 project:

DSC_0958.JPG
    DSC_0957.JPG

DSC_0955.JPG

The GB is a street bike, nevertheless Dubya's specialty is dirt, and can get many brands of rims, spokes, and hubs,
    ceracoated, powder coated, anodized, you name it.

Great to talk to over the phone. I'm a very satisfied customer.
    thebigman, Barron and Wattner like this.
  18. greyrider1

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the part number for the cush rubbers are #54610459 000 (ktm part). I will have to get some the old ones are worse for wear, but they're not hard to replace.

I'm happy with the cush hub(once I get that spacer sorted) but I remember the spokes they sent to go with the hub for the 18" oem rim were wrong and they wouldn't take them back. I had to basically buy another set of the right length, ...haven't been back since.
  19. greyrider1

Oddometer:

Thanks LexLeroy, I might just copy what you have done, glue a donut into each end.
    Wattner likes this.
  20. greyrider1

Oddometer:
    That's a very likely scenario, I still think there should be some sort of centering device.

I've only ever dealt with steel spacers and don't give them much preload, might have to rethink with alum spacer.