XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shoulda' just listened to you and saved myself time, money and agony. :lol3 But then my Old Man told me years ago that "A smart man learns from others' mistakes, but you're gonna' need to learn everything on your own."
    Hanz, Slideways#96, AZ TOM and 2 others like this.
  2. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Air cleaner is oem honda, snorkel removed, 101 mm over bore with 9.5-1 comp piston, ported big fin head, cycle wizard cam, FMF power bomb header with stock XR600R muffler. I'm using the FMF pipe only because with the OEM pipe the kickstart lever would hit it, it doesn't with the FMF.
    20170923_1751071_zps35i3jjns.jpg
  3. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    Kinda' odd how my stock lump and your heavily leaned-on mill prefer the same jetting huh? :scratch One of life's mysteries.
    baldman1 likes this.
  4. mrmushman

mrmushman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here at 4900' in MT running stock exhaust/intake with 52/152, no alteration to needle. After market cdi from Germany (two position) set for high octane. A little Lucas top engine lubricant in with the fuel at fill up.
  5. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right? It's the magic of the CV carb. It's been my experience when jetting stock carbs on a modded engine I usually end up within one maybe two jets larger. That applies to thumpers and big inline fours. Now it's another story when I put on a nice set of big carbs and tune them from scratch that's a headache.
    LexLeroy likes this.
  6. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    I did a bit of testing with my stock engine and the Ignitech CDI and found that using a pulser boss from a 1988 XR600R I was able to see a maximum advance of 31* BTDC which resulted in reduced CHT and EGT, as well as a smoother running engine. The stock XR650L pulser boss (30220-MK5-000) is only going to give you 28* of advance, no matter how you play around with the curve, although you can get the available advance to come in sooner.
  7. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sticker probably came from some sort of sex toy. Anyone?
  9. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the picture was taken by Steve I would say the Bay area so that warning label would not surprise me if it is real.
    FlatlandKSBrett and Slideways#96 like this.
  10. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Over in another thread on this site, one of the first responses to that pic was... "Challenge accepted" lol

-Barron
    john.thorp likes this.
  11. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got the engine buttoned up.

Attached Files:

gammel, Freshdonuts, XRLated and 2 others like this.
  12. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good man! Will there be video when it comes to life?
  13. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll have a video this afternoon ish

Attached Files:

gammel, Coast Crusader, M3B and 3 others like this.
  14. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    Some folks need it spelled out for them.
  15. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    This is straight fuckery.
    750FE294-1243-451A-A85C-EAD1D477FA2E.jpeg 562471D9-1B85-4A2C-B9E0-637F39F37E67.jpeg
    Would it have killed Mr Honda for just a little bit more space here? Holy crap it’s a wiggle.
    XRLated likes this.
  16. Freshdonuts

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve. I bought the alloy choke nut you recommended a while back, thought this would have been a good time to install but the new one doesn’t have a slot for the clip. Did you cut your own?
    I went back the old post and I got the right one as posted but the holes ain’t lining up:hmmmmm
  17. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you really mash the boot back? I don’t remember it being so bad, you just really gotta stuff it to the rear pretty good. If I remember right, loosening any air box bolts can help too.
    Freshdonuts likes this.
  18. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    That was always a challenge for me too, I rarely ever took it all the way out so I never remembered how I did it the time before. It's imperative to take your time though.... It's easy to get frustrated and do something dumb. Also, if you think that's fun, you should have a go at getting an FCR MX in or out with a big fin head. It's even more fun lol.

-Barron
    Wattner, BFRP and Freshdonuts like this.
  19. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you pull the bolts out of the air box you can pull it back, or just pull the air boot out of the way.
    Freshdonuts likes this.
  20. Freshdonuts

Oddometer:
    Shit dude you’re up late. Yep. Actually it wasn’t until I got a lil frustrated and mashed really mashed the boot back that I finall got it out. I didn’t remove and do a full soak, just jets and bowl.
    Started w a crack and runs sweet. Need to hit some higher speeds and see if I got the demon out.

If not I think I’m going to ditch the power up kit, go back to stock set up, and move forward w Dave’s Mods. My 08’ had better snap than this 12’.
    New repack to Q4 and it’s still too fkn loud. I’m looking for some kind of turn down kit now.
    I’d try the stock pipe but a mouse set up quarters in mine and no way I could get all the debris out. Seriously shook out about 20 acorns and nesting materials.

Did you connect w dude in Bay Area about parts? Let me know if I can help play middle man for you if he won’t ship.
    Happy Saturday Thorpedo!