XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    @Barron and @BFRP you guys replied while I was typing. I should have posted here first for pointers. Would have saved me some time for sure. Wasn’t sure how rough I could be with the boot.
    When you say pull air filter bolts you’re talking about mounting bolts right? Not the boot to box bolts?
  2. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m back in business. I just found another bottom end for sale close to me and did an old fashioned swap.
    Also you guys were right, I put her on the scales full of gas, 320 pounds.
    I don’t see how I could lose another 20 pounds without spending serious cash.
    But with the new piston and camshaft, this thing rips. She barks with authority now, the high comp piston is the way to go. I think the fresh cut valves also make a big difference.

Attached Files:

Hanz, Coast Crusader and Barron like this.
  3. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The two bolts on top of the air box is all that’s needed. When I pull the boot out of the way I yank it basically out of the frame to the right and it’s completely out of the way.
  4. Freshdonuts

Freshdonuts All tortise no hare.

Oddometer:
    @BFRP Wow that’s way more flex than I wanted to. All I was thinking was if you tear this you’re fucked. But good to know for next time. There will be a next time too.

Your bike looks fast sitting still! You got to post video.
  5. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Twincarbs on an e-start 600 engine are just as bad, if not worse. I normally pull the insulator as well, gives me a bit more room.
  6. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never heard back from him. I’ll try again today, but that stuff was sooooo cheap. I’m sure it’s gone.
  7. alivingston

alivingston n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for a set of dirtrack side racks. They’re no longer in production… anyone? IMG_0826.jpg
  8. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recall removing the throttle bracket helping the job.
    Could your header be a little higher or further in than the stocker?
    AZ TOM likes this.
  9. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone know much about the Al Baker Commander?

Screenshot_20210718-224440_1.png
  10. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    I feel the need to rant a bit to make sure others are aware of an issue that I think should be dealt with at the vendor level.

Years ago I got a Trail Tech race light to increase the amount of light in front of me. Since then Trail Tech has stopped selling them and they can be acquired from Cyclops here:

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-Rally-Light_p_9.html

My problem is that the only option either vendor has ever offered to house the frame and hide/protect the wiring behind the light is a piece of metal for the top that does very little of either. I understand that these lights go on a myriad of bikes and designing a shroud for the light may be a pandora's box as each bike may require different clearances for cabling and sites where the light attaches, but even having something that a customer could "adjust" to their own needs I think would be beneficial.

I am nearing completion of yet another iteration of my own creations to accommodate some new additions and all through the process I couldn't help but think that someone with better skills and/or tooling could make one much more efficiently.

-Barron
    john.thorp and BFRP like this.
  11. originalspacerob

originalspacerob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing when I installed mine. So I made some side covers. Mine is a Cylops made one. They were made from plastic I got from Mcmaster Carr. Made a paper template and then cut the plastic to match the template. IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
  12. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer:
    Good job! Do you have the speedo hooked up to your vapor? Usually, the wire for that is run with the brake cable, but I didn't see it in your pics. I like how you solved the problem of mounting that Vapor with the included hardware, it looks solid. I looked at a few different options and decided to put holes in the top piece of the shroud I'm making and then bend it at an angle to give me a better view.

Have you ever given thought to make a bracket for cable management behind the light since the OEM one gets removed? I looked at a few different ways to solve it, but after modifying my harness to accommodate some extras, I removed all the OEM wire protection, put the mess of a harness on a pegboard temporarily held in place with zip ties and went to work with some heat shrink and electrical tape to put it into the shape I needed.

This will be at least my fourth maybe sixth iteration of trying to come up with a good solution (only counting the ones that made it all the way to final installation). I just haven't been happy with how they have turned out in the past for one reason or another. I've used steel, aluminum, and various plastics. Since I'm putting a Vapor on mine as well, I decided to build in some protection. This decision has been a double-edged sword as the benefit of protection for the Vapor and USB port will be great, BUT making it look right and not having a ton of seams or screws has been difficult to solve and a lot of cardboard has given its life in support of this effort lol.

I'm hoping to have this one done in the next few days, it's taken a LOT more time and effort than I anticipated. I keep running into clearance issues with cabling, wiring, bolts, the part of the triple that normally holds the ignition...

I'll be sure to post pics of mine when it's done since there are very few if any pics out there of others who have attempted to solve this problem.

-Barron
    Coast Crusader and XRLated like this.
  13. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fun, fun, fun till your daddy{ or wife} takes your XRL away:clap
    Coast Crusader and Wattner like this.
  16. tallbob

tallbob Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got out for a ride yesterday! :D
    20210521_193153.jpg
    spezjag, Coast Crusader, Hanz and 5 others like this.
  17. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to my 86 600; I'm sure there's a reason whether heat or deterioration over time just wipes out the units. I know when I bought my 86 it always had a cold starting issue, finally threw one just to try, and never had an issue again.
    XRLated likes this.
  18. jfk22

jfk22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not the best explanation of how carbs work, but the high speed video is interesting....
    XRLated likes this.
  19. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a slow-motion video of a carb bell (CV carb) revving the engine, the slide bounces up and down like mad and it spits a bunch of gas out.
    Gives a clear indication why bikes with pods load up under some conditions, like jagoffs revving the engine at lights.
    Coast Crusader likes this.
  20. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m sure many people have taken an XRL through high altitude passes like in CO. Is there anything other than jetting that needs to be done? Pumper carb better than the stock one in high altitude environments?