XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No the stock cv would be better, it’s much more forgiving on altitude than the fcr mx.
    The fcr can be finicky if you go through huge temperature swings and I would imagine it’s the same for altitude. but once the fcr mx is dialed in there’s nothing better.
    although after running the true high compression piston I think I agree with Steve that the high comp piston is the better mod if you had to choose one. She feels alive now, and the low end torque is much better.
  2. GrayEagleRider

GrayEagleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks!
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  4. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock CV carb when jetted correctly will need no rejetting at altitude.
  5. XRLated

XRLated Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can I impose on anyone out there with a fairly new XRL to measure their left-to-right sidestand play?

And also the same measurement from a few of you all with many miles on their bikes?

KIMG0588_1.JPG

I've never given the sidestand side-to-side play much thought, but, yesterday, parking the bike on a bit of a right-to-left downward slope and getting off the bike like dismounting a horse (weight on left foot on left footpeg and throwing my right leg over to land with my right foot planted on the left side of the bike), the bike lurched left under me enough to make me think for a moment that I'd bent or broken the sidestand and that the bike and I both were maybe going over. That was just a moment's fear, and I got off the bike no problem, but the experience did make me decide why not keep an eye on the sidestand along with the various other things that I regularly check on the bike.

(I know that my cowboy mount/dismount method puts a lot of sideways force on the sidestand, but, nevertheless, I don't plan to change my ways: too easy and too much fun! Instead, I'm compensating for my possibly bad behavior by upping my vigilance, and will repair/replace/strengthen the sidestand as needed to continue on doing as I do.)

Currently, if I grab the end of sidestand and push/pull sideways, I can move the footpad at the end of the sidestand side to side about an inch. Normal? Or have I been slowly spreading the sidestand's mounting jaws apart over time, gradually increasing the play?

Appreciate getting a measurment on a new bike or two as well as a few much-ridden bikes, if it's not too much trouble--thanks in advance!
  6. LexLeroy

LexLeroy Socially Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the reason that I adapted the Harley/Keihin CV40 to my pig. Squirt of fuel on take-off for that extra "oomph" with the altitude-compensation of a CV carb. Poor man's fuel injection.
    baldman1, BFRP and GrayEagleRider like this.
  7. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Accel pump for the stock carb sounds like an interesting winter project
  8. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    I've got a thread on what I did. I'll post the link up later when I can sit down at the computer. Sucks trying to do it with this phone.
  9. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    the AC lets it run a lighter than otherwise spring without it bogging, is the idea?
  10. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    The Harley carb is essentially the KLR650 carb with an accelerator pump and unique threading for the jets and atomizer tube.
    The slide and diaphragm are common to both carbs but the spring is different. I replaced the float bowl with a Boyesen TwinShot for the pump adjustability. The spring is stock KLR650.

The cool thing is the range of available needles.

I'm currently revisiting jetting since I changed the ignition timing to mimic the XR600R and cobbled together a mid-height muffler like what's on the BSA 441 Victor.

I can't help myself - it's a disease

Here's the carb link -

https://advrider.com/f/threads/repurposing-the-harley-cv40-carb.1113992/
  11. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Little 102 miler this am, northwest of Prescott.
    IMG_2282.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2285.JPG
    Got a little squishy, hate mud so headed home.
    IMG_2286.JPG
    Said hi to my buds, got home changed oil wash off tomorrow & ready to go again. Closing in on 34,000, should be good for at least another 35,000:dunno
    IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
  12. john.thorp

john.thorp Titan of Industry Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lex haha, what the hell! Keep it up man, always amazing to me seeing your posts. Come to think of it though, I don't think I can picture your bike. Got anything recent?

@AZ TOM Good lord, what am I doing with my life. You got it all figured out.

@XRLated I would help if I could but my bike and I are currently...separated. Bit of a spat. But I'm curious to see what answers you get. I also get on my bike exactly like that (AND IT IS FUN). I honestly just assumed that's what everyone did? Unless you're 6'5" and can just step on?
    XRLated and AZ TOM like this.
  13. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update, the motion pro clutch cable that’s 3 inches longer than stock, it’s too long.
    Even with 2 1/2 inch worth of risers I still had to get creative on the cable routing.
    I think a + 2.25 inch would be better, or a 2 inch longer than stock.
    I am really enjoying the asv clutch and front brake lever as well.

Attached Files:

14. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Street legal” she weighs 323 pounds.
    I think with everything stripped off for the track next weekend she will be under 320.

Attached Files:

15. LexLeroy

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Go embarrass those KTM riders with their fancy-schmancy water pumps and 6 speed transmissions.

And pictures... gotta' have pictures.
    Coast Crusader, BFRP and Slideways#96 like this.
  16. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    33mm bar risers & Flexx high bars with stock cables?
    IMG_2284.JPG
    Probably the longest bike model, DS still in production! Do we really need anything else?
    Slideways#96 likes this.
  17. john.thorp

Oddometer:
    Damnnnnn

And what did you use for a case saver? Fritz's pattern?
  18. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Case saver for the gear shifter? I still need to get something for that, Western Hemisphere will trim down their case saver to fit with the Sutton oil cooler.
    I had the front sprocket cover installed all brand new and shiny, and the bolts came lose and fell out the first ride lol. I think I’ll just stick to the naked front sprocket.
  19. john.thorp

Oddometer:
    I didn’t know naked front sprocket was an option? Thought those wires might get clipped pretty easy
  20. BFRP

BFRP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There’s a clip type bracket that holds the wire out of the way. I’ve ridden without the front sprocket cover the last 19k miles with no issues.