XS650 Appresh

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by buffaloborn, Jan 12, 2011.

1. pictish ratter

pictish ratter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My old 1980 xs 650 US special ,modded by myself,had it 16yrs an had over 200,000 miles ,till I got another bike and retired it where it lay in my lock up for a good few yrs then I stupidly sold it for a pittance and then it ended up on ebay :( dont know where it is now .. probably lying in someones shed or garage now :( WP_20181031_17_28_16_Pro.jpg WP_20181031_17_28_26_Pro.jpg
    hunter_greyghost likes this.
  2. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    I found a local fellow that has begun doing chrome dipping. This rear rack for the '79 XS was pretty sad and he saved it.

Cheers,
    rad__

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ausfahrt, CCitis, Scoozi and 4 others like this.
  3. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Posted by @Mudclod in the "Anything" thread.
    [​IMG]
    buzzword, Toto and Philthy64 like this.
  4. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After seeing Hunter's Ambassador tank retrofit I was thinking this might be a nice mod for my 83 but it's a long drive to find out. Has anyone ever seen a V7 tank on an XS?

[​IMG]
    hunter_greyghost and radguzzi like this.
  5. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    What mounting points have you got with that model !
    [​IMG]
    This is not pretty but it works !
    [​IMG]
    One long bolt right through the holes already in a Standard frame - also works on a Special
    [​IMG]
    Had to reposition the taps but this was done by a professional panel-beater while pinhole repairs were being done - hope this helps
    Cheers
    Baza
  6. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same mounts. Tank seems suspiciously cheap though. Maybe its already swollen?
  7. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Gupster

Gupster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well as an occasional lurker of this site I see it’s been pretty quiet.
    After completing a restore on a 72 about 10 years ago, time flys. I ended up with 3 parts bikes so about 6 years ago I pulled into the shop the most complete a 77.
    After staring at it for a month I thought a refueling was in order.
    The question was what should it be when done??
    Stock, flat tracker, street tracker, dual sport, Super Moto and so on.
    I figured the old girl would tell me as time went along, so apart it came.
    The following pics are part of the off off and on again journey.

Attached Files:

10. Gupster

Gupster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After building the 72 I realized that my 6-‘5” old body didn’t fit the little xs. So the main objective for this build was to make it fit me.
    At this time i believe I’ve hit a good milestone with Suspention redone and lowered 4” and having a working braking system. By the way I didn’t leave out to many brands in this frankibike build.
    Sorry about the picture loading but in get the idea.

Attached Files:

11. Gupster

Gupster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most current pics
    Input and suggestions welcome as I’m looking for inspiration.
    All and all I hope all is well in our current times.

Attached Files:

rw4x4van likes this.
  12. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay some esplaining is needed here.....:eekers.....I think I am looking at a Suzuki swing arm....maybe a DR 650. Mostly stock frame but not completely. Would like to know more about the front forks and counter shaft sprocket alterations. (maybe related to the swing arm) :hmmmmm.

Details please....the pictures are great :clap but a little detail would be appreciated.

Thanks much for posting,
    Jack and Buck
  13. Gupster

Gupster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jack and buck you got a good eye for details.
    Here goes per your request.
    Frame xs down tubes and back bone with back half built around an 88 Xr 600 swing arm and suspension. Rear brake is 94 ktm and 88 fzr master.
    Rear wheel late 93 yz modified for small bolt circle xs sprocket. With 17x4.25 rim I moved out the counter sprocket out 7/16”.
    Your dr650 is included at the foot pegs made wider. Relocated along with the shift shaft mod and links. Oh and that flywheel/shift linkage cover mod.
    1990 cr500 front with 320mm disk. I couldn’t find a bearing for the top so I cut off the top cup and welded in a new cut with bearings. Triple clamps are some aftermarket part from a 2000ish kx, just over an 1/8” wider per side to help clear the 17x3.50 front wheel.
    Tank is from a 77 Yamaha yz 400c modified (by others) wider for capacity and to clear the triples while maintaining a descent turning rad. New steering stop is now in front.
    Both sprockets turned down for 520 chain. Because the swing arm had the xr chain guide mount a chain guide and front roller was made in proportion to chain and small sprocket.
    Sportster headlight
    Omar seat pan and fender.
    That a month full.
    Hope this helps explain my frankinbike and not for purists.
    Greg
    redfishguide likes this.
  14. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay.....thanks for responding.....and in detail. :clap We really like we're your heading! I know what its like to take a worn out piece of junk XS and give it a rebirth into what you want. We have a half a dozen frames and engines needing lots of love to get back on the road.

Don't let the purists get on your case. Some old junker XS's are just not restorable! And they make GREAT starter bikes for your kinda project and mine.

Least we're not seeing some kind of hard tail hipster bike that makes no sense at all.

Keep us posted as I just happen to have a similar project that has been waiting in the wings for similar treatment for way too long and will keep watching.

We like we're you going.....:photog

Jack and Buck
  15. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    I have two bikes that will end up one-off builds - mainly because of PO's attempts too start a 'bobber' or chopper,
    only to sell it on to a silly old bloke who save them from total structural murder !
    Respect to all the radical builders out there - just not my bag - next beast will be lighter but a trailer towing beast
    [​IMG]
    Something more like Pete's beast of a sporty
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Baza
  16. Gupster

Gupster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jack and buck thanks for the interest and kind props, good luck with your projects.
    Hunter I have lots of respect for your devotion and commitment with these old workhorses.
    Making the xs light is and was a big challenge with such a heavy power plant.
    I enjoy looking and reading the stories from inmates about these beast. I’ve had a lust for them since high school while riding around on RD two smokes.
    Bootlace you have a gorgeous machine.
    Cheers to all the Veterans out there on this Memorial weekend.
    Greg
  17. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe someone from the XS650 crowd can help me out- I have a set of BS38s on an XS750, I went to drop the needles a notch trying to tune out a midrange stumble, and there was a good bit of gas that had been sprayed around under the dome and inside the inner part of the slide. Tops of the CV diaphragms were wet.

Anyone seen this, or have an idea what could cause it?
  18. retiredgentleman

retiredgentleman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BS38 carbs have a needle jet, also called the emulsion tube ( brass tube with a bunch of small holes). There is an O ring under the needle jet. If that O ring has worn out, then gas can be sucked up into the carb. I replaced them on my XS650SE BS38 carbs. They are Viton 1 mm thick X 4 mm ID. McMaster Carr used to selll them and likely still does.
    Cheers
    John
  19. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    First time I ever heard of that O-ring. Thanks!
  20. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    A good friend of mine died last year, and he had a good collection of XS650's - they were recently all stolen...we are all gutted.

[​IMG]

He had a lot of parts too. He got into them well before they got trendy. A couple were 750's, 72 the Flattracker, and 77 the Classic racer. He had a hack bike that was real rough he used to ride around the city on...get off and walk away, who'd want a crappy XS650 ? There was a farmbike too, so maybe 2 turned into one better bike. The twin disc one was his main road bike, had a red tank when I knew it. This bike was perfect, I've ridden it and was better than new - XJ750 front end, has a TX750 swing arm, much bigger than stock, everything good on this bike. They all have the same exhaust, once he found what worked he had them all made up the same.

I'm the only person here who will likely come across them, but thought I'd post it here anyway.
    hunter_greyghost and Ziptye like this.