XT225 Custom Tank Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underkill, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Surface rust will not bother the POR 15. They have a special cleaner, but I used phosporic acid etch (available fron auto paint stores) as I already had some.

Braze is a good way to fill gaps between sheets if the sheets lap... this is done at the factory ... well at Kawi for sure. I have also seen Yami & Suz fuel tap bolsters brazed in.... good stuff.

Good luck.... looks like a great project.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your tank build..:thumb

:lurk
  3. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    i cant wait to see how much it holds! i built some bigger tanks for my xr650l.stock is 2.8 and my last tank i built is 6 gallons.its so fun to finally fill it to see how much it will take!
  4. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
  5. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Well last night we finished up the tank. No pictures yet because for some reason the internet isn't working at home. :cry

Put it in the bathtub and filled it repeatedly with a 1L mountain dew bottle. (gasoline + caffeine = fun!). Got 28liters before it was full!!! :eek1 :huh :D

The problem was that it was leaking pretty bad... :cry

but we figure even if it leaked a full gallon while we were filling it, we still got at LEAST 5 gallons out of it! :clap :freaky

So tonight we'll try to get some tank sealer and finish welding up the leaks we found and hopefully do a final volume count! So excited! I was hoping for at least 5 and it looks like we have it! Now my fuel range will match up pretty well with Blinkerfluid's 640A.... awesome! :lol3
  6. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn anyone know how much heat does it take for brazing?? Will the little butane torches work, or do I need to use oxy/acetalene?? I really just need to get a TIG, but they're so expensive.
  7. griffo1962

griffo1962 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of guys use MAPP which I think is lpg/oxy?? I much prefer my oxy/acy. Brazing takes a lot of heat but with the thin wall tank you might be ok with the MAPP. I don't think the straight lpg torch will even do that tho'
    Hopefully someone who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in here.

g:D
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    800*F is the US standard. Internationally it is 450*C which works out to around 842*F. Whatever... MAPP (a blend of LPG and acetylene) is commonly used because it burns much hotter than propane but is more convenient than oxy/acetylene bottles. You can buy small MAPP set-ups at hardware stores but if you already have o/a you can just use that. Brazing works well but does require a pretty tight fit between pieces to be joined for it to "wick" properly. At this point your best plan is probably to grind out the porous areas and reweld, grind flush, test, repeat until you get it sealed up. Thin steel is difficult to weld but good technique helps. A good 110V MIG machine might work better than your 220 machine, for the thin gauge metal of the tank, if you have access. You may want to change your shielding gas too depending on what you're using now.

Thanks to you both for the detailed write-up.
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very impressed and envious.
  10. underkill

Oddometer:
    Finally got the internet working at the house, so here are some new pictures!

Finished boxing in the side pieces:
    [​IMG]

Here it is sitting in the bath tub with aforementioned 1L mountain dew bottle custom measuring device.. :rofl
    [​IMG]

Here are some comparison pictures with the stock tank:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quite a bit bigger isn't it?
    Also got a few pictures of it on the bike:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So there ya go! It's not terribly pretty yet... We're still tracking down leaks. :cry There were quite a few big ones and now we're down to the annoying pinhole leaks... Hopefully sometime this weekend We'll get it all sealed up and Ospho the tank to get the rust out of it and then I can seal the inside and then get on to sandblasting the outside and start making it pretty! :evil

Also, isn't that tank just begging for a rally fairing? just sayin.. We got all winter and I get bored easy...
    :freakycheers!
  11. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well you guys are right, the butane torch isn't quite hot enough.. it gets just hot enough to get the brazing rod sticky, but thats it.. not need anyway, I just went and got my oxy/acet bottles filled so I can use that.. Only problem is I don't have a tip small enough to braze the sheet metal.. I did practice with a couple 3/16th inch steel plates we had laying around.. got htem to stick together well enough to support my weight.. Brazing is definitely a little different but I think I could do it well with a little practice.. didn't want to try it on the tank though.. I've chased down and fixed most of hte big leaks.. just a few spots that seep now, so hopefully soon it'll be leak free.. then we'll do a tank sealant on the inside just to be safe.. Thanks for all the compliments btw.. and the help. :freaky

Oh, and I filled the tank up with water and weighed it to get a better estimate of the volume.. should be right around 5 gallons :clap
  12. johnnyandjebus

johnnyandjebus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    blinkerfluid

I have been watching this thread with interest, great job on the tank so far. From the pics it looks like the size of the tank will blend in quite well with the bike. Keep up the good work and please keep posting.
  13. underkill

Oddometer:
    Started in on brazing and trying to eliminate all the leaks. Still haven't gotten them all and it's proved to be more of a pain in the ass than making the original tank was... :bluduh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I went in with the metal filler on the top part. Dries really hard and i'm not concerned with it flaking off... I guess unless I hit something hard enough to bend the tank... but then we have other issues. :cry Hopefully we'll get the brazing/filler done tonight and all the leaks located and fixed. Then I can start prepping for paint! :clap

Anyone have any cool ideas for paint? the base color will be silver... I was thinking either a spoof of the red bull logo using a funny little deer (it is a SEROW!) or the yamaha block stripe things in black with a little blue... Maybe i'll photoshop something up tonight...
  14. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well as you can see I gave up trying to fix the leaks with the MIG.. Seemed like everytime I'd fix one leak, I'd create a new one.. The brazing seems to work a bit better since it will flow into holes without burning new holes in the tank.. Which is especially handy when trying to repair a pinhole in the original tank metal caused by rust.. Much easier ot just braze over the area, instead of fabricating/welding on a patch panel.. I know it looks kinda crappy right now, but we'll sand it all down and smooth it out and it'll look pretty good.. Just have to find all the leaks frist.
  15. tripletom

tripletom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love how it's going so far. Looks a monster compared to the stock tank. Great stuff and keep it coming.
  16. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    heres a pic of my tank i welded up on my xr650l,it came out to 6 gallons and i went with silver too and added some flat black on the bottom and a charcoal stripe to break it up so it doesnt look too big.i used a mig too and got all the leaks seald but when i preasurized it it had some little seeping so i put a coat of fiberglass resin on the welds to seal it.works great!i cant wait to see your tank done!
  17. FIDOLLAZ

FIDOLLAZ Dirty D

Oddometer:
    Nice work and I do not discount it but it would be far easier to adapt a common plastic tank, like a XR or KTM one. The steel is prone to denting, especially in the extended size. I'd have been borrowing buddys tanks to find a close match and built a mount/adapt a seat. Nice work though.
  18. underkill

Oddometer:
    I went this way because it would bolt right up to the seat and side panels. Nothing would have to be fabricated to physically mount the tank and get everything lined up. I had considered building a fiberglass tank, but this probably worked out better. KTM tanks don't attach the same way, FYI... and I would have just had to throw away the side panels and find a way to mesh 2 different seats together. I figure the bike comes stock with a metal tank, so no real loss there.... I might make some carbon fiber guards to keep the tank from being dented when I drop it too.. just to help it out. Kinda like they make for the 640Adventure tanks... well, another thing to add to my list I guess! ;):eek1
  19. milk budda

milk budda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sweet tank, long live and long ride the Serow! Hats off to you for a job well done. :clap
  20. leewildwater

leewildwater rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer:
    out riding my two legged horse near Bryson City NC
    PLUS 1 +++