XT225 Custom Tank Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underkill, Nov 20, 2008.

1. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    commendable job. these ideas often turn into time-suckers, i've been down similar roads many times, not always liking the results, but the learning experience is worthwhile. i hope it works out for you & thanks for bringing us along for the journey. i love it myself.
  2. underkill

underkill Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer:
    Well I'm pleased with the Ospho so far. Their website and directions suck, but I figured after dinner sometime it should be all dry and I can start the tank liner. I've been keeping the tank warm with a heat gun so that should help a little bit. Anyway, it started dissolving rust almost immediatly and the inside of the tank now looks like this:

[​IMG]
    as much as you can see anyway... Either way, there used to be big spots of rust down there and now its more silver implying way less rust.. its more impressive in person.. :D

[​IMG]
    Theres the Kreem tank liner... Hopefully i'll be able to tell y'all about how freaking badass it is tomorrow... :rofl

[​IMG]
    There she is with another coat of primer and a better picture... not looking too shabby really! i'm pleased!

[​IMG]
    The inside of the side scoops isn't very pretty at all... but will rarely, if ever, be seen... I have plans for it all... you'll see!

[​IMG]
    Also changed the oil on the 640 today and had the front off... looks rather snazzy doesnt it? hmmmmmmmmmm! :evil
    henrrytuan likes this.
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Starting to look very nice for sure!

I'd be interested in how much the thing weighs when it's all done with paint, bondo etc.
  4. underkill

Oddometer:
    Well it'll be a heavy one that's for sure... Figure the stock tank was metal, we added some metal, left some stock metal for inner baffles, added metal during brazing, added lead during soldering, and then add bondo and paint..
    :rofl..........:cry
    ohwell though, for just a "road trip" tank i'm not too concerned about it.. I still have the little stocker for offroad duty...

The bike has no balls anyway, adding 50#s of tank and fuel won't really make that big of a difference, it'll still be slow.. :D
  5. Blinkerfluid

Blinkerfluid Long timer

Oddometer:

It weighed right around 10 lbs before we started the brazing/finishing work.. Shouldn't weigh more than 11 lbs when its all done.. so not too bad.. not sure how much the stock tank weighs, so no comparisson there.
  6. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Very nice.
  7. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    That's not bad at all. As a comparison, the stock metal tank on the DR650 weighs about 9 lbs and only holds 3.2 gallons.

I'd still use the new tank to pull a mold and lay one up in CF/Kevlar though, probably 1/3 of the weight :D
  8. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Work!!!:clap :clap Can't wait to see the finished product! I wish I could do stuff like that....:cry Too lazy/busy/stoopid......:lol3
  9. underkill

Oddometer:
    The actual making of the tank was pretty easy.. its the getting it to not leak part that was the hardest! I had considered making a 'glass one before we did the metal one, but jason wanted to play with metal so we went that route... not to say i wont try one again with glass.. i'm better at that than I am with metal anyway... Maybe i'll try a rally fairing... :evil

Anyway, got the Kreem liner in last night. Im sure it works better on tanks without 'baffles' .. its very thick and hard to get everythign coated because you can't see down into the hole... I hope I got it all.. and it smells gnarly... :huh
  10. RimBenty

RimBenty Greg - Bender of Rims

Oddometer:
    MAN! How big did you make that tank? It looks huge compared to that laundry basket in the back ground! :huh :rofl :lol3

11. underkill

Oddometer:
    HAHA nice.... yeah its a 42 gallon... should get me around the world a couple times... don't like stopping for gas... EVER! :rofl
  12. velosprocket

velosprocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool thread, thanks for sharing!
  13. underkill

Oddometer:
    aaaaaand UPDATE!!!

The tank fits and doesnt leak!!!!! :eek1:clap:freaky

Here's some pics:
    (side panels aren't on and halfway through the windshield install, dont mind the mess!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So whatcha think? Still have to finish the silver base coat and decide what else I want to paint on it.. but.. I LIKE IT!!!!! YAY!!!!!!
  14. johnnyandjebus

johnnyandjebus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    underkill

but.. I LIKE IT!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

What you said!! Great job:clap:clap
  15. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    carry a bar of soap with you the first couple of test rides.

it should plug a gas leak long enough to get you home, assuming its not dripping onto to the exhaust header or sparkplug, or anything like that.

looks really good though!
    :freaky
  16. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    If you do find a wet spot I would sand around it down to bare metal and patch with fiberglass resin. Bondo is porous and won't stop a leak.
  17. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys are doing a great job and have given me an idea. just happen to have a spare tank laying around:rofl
  18. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    :clap Looks like your XT225 has turned into an Adventure Touring XT ! :clap
  19. chronos

chronos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Much respect for tackling without the experience that would come in useful. I cut my teeth doing bumper repair and paint. What you've got there is some serious complexity! Like it's been said, use the resin and float a lot of bondo then sand, sand, sand. From the pics, I think you're a few steps away from being able to use the primer. You can also spray primer in many coats building a thick layer, then sand, then more primer, then hand sand eventually. Then spray the color on lightly, see where you need more primer, filler, and you'll be glad you did after spending so much time on fabrication..

Outstanding job and the tank is looking like it should have been on there stock! :clap
  20. Sam Simons

Sam Simons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well Done,underkill!! You chose a very challenging 1st project and persevered to a successful completion....Great!

Sam in Indiana